• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

1.75 vs 2lb 11ft Torrix

Apologies if this has been covered.
I fish the Ribble mainly, casting big loaded 2.5/3oz feeders. For years I used a Graham Phillips SU 11ft made by Paul Boote until it wore out completely. I’ve yet to find a rod to match it’s quality. It was rated at 1.5 but was immensely powerful and tippy.

I don’t like through actioned rods, I recently sold a freespirit 12 seeker for this reason.

I’m tempted by the 11ft 2lb Torrix as I’ve heard good things, but not sure if I should get the 1.75. Having never held either it’s a very difficult choice and a leap of faith.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If I am right, from what I've learned from this forum, the 1.75lb and 2lb torrix share the same butt section, only the first section are different.
If this is the case, if you want a strong butt section rod with softer tip, go for 1.75, otherwise, 2lb.
But I could be completely wrong.

I was told by Harrison years ago that the butt sections differed on the 11' Torrix and how to differentiate between them. However, that was many years ago and things may have changed.
Butts as well as tips can be constructed of different carbons.

Cheers
Bob

I was told by Harrison years ago that the butt sections differed on the 11' Torrix and how to differentiate between them. However, that was many years ago and things may have changed. Butts as well as tips can be constructed of different carbons. Cheers Bob
I was told by Harrison years ago that the butt sections differed on the 11' Torrix and how to differentiate between them. However, that was many years ago and things may have changed. Butts as well as tips can be constructed of different carbons. Cheers Bob

I was told by Harrison years ago that the butt sections differed on the 11' Torrix and how to differentiate between them. However, that was many years ago and things may have changed.
Butts as well as tips can be constructed of different carbons.

Cheers
Bob
Mmm the plot thickens. Bob, what’s your opinion on the difference between the 1.75 and the 2

Also out of interests, and sorry Steve if I hijack the post. Bob, how do you feel about the torrix 1.5lb? Thanks.

A loaded 3 oz feeder probably weighs over 4oz so definitely go for the 2lb version to make the most of casting that weight.

That rod at 11 foot in both those test curves is absolutely wonderful.
My favorite barbel rod in existence to use for big fish. It’s awesome

I've got both, and there's no way they're the same butt sections. The 2lb variant is considerably thicker. The 2lb rod doesnt feel like a stepped up version of the 1.75. In fact i'd say the 2lb torrix feels more like a beefier Chimeria 2. Totally different blanks, but that's what i think.

The 1.75 seems to be the sweet spot in 11ft Torrix line up for me. On small rivers in summer it's great.

The 2lb rod doesnt feel like a stepped up version of the 1.75.
I don’t own both but I have fished with them both.
That’s strange because to me that’s exactly what they felt like. I found them extremely similar in both action, recovery, and power.

I had my 11ft 1.75 Torrix delivered a few months ago from Mark Tunley. It is for me the most perfectly balanced rod I have ever used. It is definitely not a through action rod and has alot of backbone on the bottom, yet it is tippy enough to see even the smallest indications.
Anthony, what kind of weights do you cast with it? And what conditions do you find it most suitable for? Thanks

Anthony, what kind of weights do you cast with it? And what conditions do you find it most suitable for? Thanks
So I fish the river Kennet, which is a small river and I wanted to use only a single rod all year round. This is why I went for the 11' 1.75. This particular stretch is fed by a weir coming from the kennet and avon canal. Although small, during winter it does absolutely trap through and gets pretty high, with lots of snags and a silty bed. I am casting 4oz leads into the weir with no issue at all, on the other hand in summer it is super light and superb for rolling meat. So to answer your question, I find for the size of my river it suits every situation.

my rod of choice and others on the Ribble harrison chimera snag and flood 11ft 6in 2.25tc will do everything you will need other than big floods.had fish to over 15lb on then .very rare you will have to cast over 50 yards

I have an 11ft 2lb Torrix which I like a lot and an 11ft Free Spirit Barbel Seeker which I like slightly more. The Barbel Seeker is more of a through actioned rod but it has plenty of power in the butt section and is nowhere near as through actioned as my 11ft Harrison 4- piece Avon 1.5tc which, along with my 11ft Harrison GTI, are also great rods. I have had big barbel on all of them and they are all up to the job.

I wouldn't describe the 11ft 2lb torrix as being 'beefy' , it is a slender but deceptively powerful rod and I have never felt over gunned when fishing for barbel using it

As you will be able to tell, I much prefer 11ft rods to 12ft rods - for me they balance better in the hand and I find the fish playing ability of 11ft rods is superior to 12 foot rods of the same model and test - I have owned a 12 ft Barbel Seeker but it only saw the river bank once before I sold it on, as for me it was not as good to fish with as the 11ft version.

I constantly struggle to decide which 2 of my 4 x 11ft rods to fish with but I am now having an intenal battle with myself over buying an 11ft Torrix 1.75lb tc rod - a battle that I think I am losing!

Last edited:
I constantly struggle to decide which 2 of my 4 x 11ft rods to fish with but I am now having an intenal battle with myself over buying an 11ft Torrix 1.75lb tc rod - a battle that I think I am losing!
Having used both the 1.75 and 2lb Versions a lot and a proud owner of the 1.75’s, I’d happily own a pair of either but probably not both. The differences I personally found between them are quite subtle with the 1.75 just being slightly softer in the tip. A little bit better bite indication offered from species that don’t drag your rods off the rests and a little less capacity on casting weight but I’m convinced it’s not much more than 1/2 oz tops.
I’d say before you lose the battle completely and buy 1.75 torrixs, you try them out against your 2lb versions because others might disagree but I personally don’t believe there is enough between them to need or even want a set of both.

Having used both the 1.75 and 2lb Versions a lot and a proud owner of the 1.75’s, I’d happily own a pair of either but probably not both. The differences I personally found between them are quite subtle with the 1.75 just being slightly softer in the tip. A little bit better bite indication offered from species that don’t drag your rods off the rests and a little less capacity on casting weight but I’m convinced it’s not much more than 1/2 oz tops.
I’d say before you lose the battle completely and buy 1.75 torrixs, you try them out against your 2lb versions because others might disagree but I personally don’t believe there is enough between them to need or even want a set of both.
I originally had a pair of the 11ft 2lb Torrix rods ( along with my 11ft GTI my 11ft 4piece Harrison Avon) but rarely fished 2 rods so I decided to sell one of the 2lb Torrix's and get an 11ft Barbel Seeker because I fancied it - by a sheer fluke I found someone (I think on BFW) who wanted one of my Torrix rods and had an 11ft Barbel Seeker he didn't want so we did a swap.

I now regularly fish 2 rods on the Trent and I don't have a pair of matching rods but I enjoy comparing the performance of whichever 2 rods I am using. I like all 4 of my 11ft barbel rods and if God (or any other deity of your choice) decreed that I could had to only ever use a pair of one of the rods I use I would not be unhappy because they are all great rods... I just wouldn't want to have to choose which one.

Bob and other rod builders had better stop reading here (or stick a sock in their mouths to muffle the screams) but I never buy new rods - I buy 2nd hand in good condition and then if I don't like it I will sell it on without any serious financial loss (and the possibility of making a few quid).

So I would like to try out the 11ft Torrix 1.75lb but I will either wait until a second hand one comes up - OR - if some very kind person would like to loan me one, or even do a temporary swap for one of my rods , then that would be a good solution. I'm just curious so I think why not - I'm recently retired (early), with plenty of time on my hands and not completely skint - and it will keep me amused.

If I dont like it , I will flog it on (or give it back) and if I do like it then I will have 5 x 11ft barbel rods to choose from 😏 😏 😏 😏 😏 every time I go barbel fishing.

I also found out recently that the 2lb Torrix was good for taming a near 10lb zander.

I originally had a pair of the 11ft 2lb Torrix rods ( along with my 11ft GTI my 11ft 4piece Harrison Avon) but rarely fished 2 rods so I decided to sell one of the 2lb Torrix's and get an 11ft Barbel Seeker because I fancied it - by a sheer fluke I found someone (I think on BFW) who wanted one of my Torrix rods and had an 11ft Barbel Seeker he didn't want so we did a swap.

I now regularly fish 2 rods on the Trent and I don't have a pair of matching rods but I enjoy comparing the performance of whichever 2 rods I am using. I like all 4 of my 11ft barbel rods and if God (or any other deity of your choice) decreed that I could had to only ever use a pair of one of the rods I use I would not be unhappy because they are all great rods... I just wouldn't want to have to choose which one.

Bob and other rod builders had better stop reading here (or stick a sock in their mouths to muffle the screams) but I never buy new rods - I buy 2nd hand in good condition and then if I don't like it I will sell it on without any serious financial loss (and the possibility of making a few quid).

So I would like to try out the 11ft Torrix 1.75lb but I will either wait until a second hand one comes up - OR - if some very kind person would like to loan me one, or even do a temporary swap for one of my rods , then that would be a good solution. I'm just curious so I think why not - I'm recently retired (early), with plenty of time on my hands and not completely skint - and it will keep me amused.

If I dont like it , I will flog it on (or give it back) and if I do like it then I will have 5 x 11ft barbel rods to choose from 😏 😏 😏 😏 😏 every time I go barbel fishing.

I also found out recently that the 2lb Torrix was good for taming a near 10lb zander.
The 1.75 Torrix has handled 15lb plus barbel, but not sure the Trent threes up launch mode lads would choose the 11ft.

Back