• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vehicle of choice

Interesting post. Looking forward to reading other views.

I've had the same 61 plate XC90 since 2014. It was 3-years old when I bought it, and it's been amazing. I can easily load up all my gear for a long session trip (up to 3 nights), with loads room left. Perfect for taking 3 kids camping as well.

It's starting to feel its age now though, so I've been looking around. I like the look of both the V60 Cross Country & V90 Cross Country, but I'll probably get another XC90 tbh. Although the Skoda Kodiaq ticks a lot of boxes, and is quite a bit cheaper.
I did end up getting another Volvo XC90 thumis summer and I'm really glad I did. The new models are so much nicer to drive than the older model, and slightly more space in the rear as well. Hopefully should last me another 10 years!

I have a 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE (L322) which costs a fortune in tax, insurance and fuel but is a great car. Just returned from 4 days on the Trent with all my gear, bivvy, bed chair etc. which it easily swallows up. I'm never getting stuck anywhere with it, it's been 100% reliable and has done 166k miles. Don't believe all you read about JLR products they are really quite good.
I am a 30+ years Mercedes owner and this is my first Range Rover BTW.

Don't believe all you read about JLR products they are really quite good.
I am a 30+ years Mercedes owner and this is my first Range Rover BTW.

I have my first RR as well, after years of Mercedes and BMW (and Porsche, but that's another story). My only gripe is the cost of fixing anything. The diesel exhaust fluid system (to make it ULEZ compliant) is particularly problematic. Mine has failed twice and cost over £2k to fix... the car will actually shut down if it isn't seen to (annoying to have the car tell you it will refuse to start if you don't sort it out). I'd buy another, but not diesel.

I have my first RR as well, after years of Mercedes and BMW (and Porsche, but that's another story). My only gripe is the cost of fixing anything. The diesel exhaust fluid system (to make it ULEZ compliant) is particularly problematic. Mine has failed twice and cost over £2k to fix... the car will actually shut down if it isn't seen to (annoying to have the car tell you it will refuse to start if you don't sort it out). I'd buy another, but not diesel.
Mine is an earlier car an L322 2012 so does not have the system that you describe. It is also not ULEZ compliant.

For years I had in in my head I needed a big car for fishing so have had XC90, Freelander 2, Audi estate etc... earlier in the year I needed a cheap car as I had worn out my old one, ended up getting an old swb Grand Vitara 1.6vvt for £150... somehow it carries all my gear, goes anywhere, owes me nothing and weirdly is good fun to drive... Might even keep it and see if it will pass an MOT this year. The more I learn about newer cars the less of a desire I have for one... Mine gets me from a to b, has a heater for the winter and if it rolls into the river I'd not be too fussed.

Lot to be said for having an old *s*itter that you don’t give two hoots about Dan.

My other half has brand new bog-fresh Sportage and I see the angst it causes. The places I’m allowed to park in a multi story are so few and far between. Can’t park here, in case someone opens their door against it; can’t park there, in case someone drags their bag down the side. Need to park tight against the wall to stop the Catalytic converter from being ‘alf inched. Keys have to go in Faraday box and if I didn’t know better I’d swear blind she has a forensics kit for when we end up arguing over who’s finger prints are all over the screen or high gloss black dash panels (it’s usually always mine of course).

Today I’ve done a run to the tidy tip in my old battle bus van with a load of green waste. She was mumbling on about, what should we put it in first? Etc. Shall we box it up? shall we put it in jumbo waste bags? And I’m just like; Just chuck it in the f’kin back and let’s bloody go. On the way back we stopped at the garden centre for four bags of manure - stunk to high heaven of course - but all the while I was decidedly angst free.😉

Lot to be said for having an old *s*itter that you don’t give two hoots about Dan.

My other half has brand new bog-fresh Sportage and I see the angst it causes. The places I’m allowed to park in a multi story are so few and far between. Can’t park here, in case someone opens their door against it; can’t park there, in case someone drags their bag down the side. Need to park tight against the wall to stop the Catalytic converter from being ‘alf inched. Keys have to go in Faraday box and if I didn’t know better I’d swear blind she has a forensics kit for when we end up arguing over who’s finger prints are all over the screen or high gloss black dash panels (it’s usually always mine of course).

Today I’ve done a run to the tidy tip in my old battle bus van with a load of green waste. She was mumbling on about, what should we put it in first? Etc. Shall we box it up? shall we put it in jumbo waste bags? And I’m just like; Just chuck it in the f’kin back and let’s bloody go. On the way back we stopped at the garden centre for four bags of manure - stunk to high heaven of course - but all the while I was decidedly angst free.😉
A man after my own heart.

Old Buddhist saying - the more you have, the more you have to worry about.

I had a diesel auto Toyota Hilux (40+ mpg), about 10 years ago, which I should never have sold. Had one in Africa in 2005 and did about 30,000km in it, a circuitous route from Cape Town to the Equator and back, including every sub-Equatorial country apart from Botswana. Easy to work on and they can fix them virtually anywhere in Africa. One time, I enjoyed a couple of beers with a garage owner while his lads MADE me some new leaf springs. I'd consider another when I'm ready to change, if I can find one. Africa is right hand drive, so maybe another adventure is to go there, find one and drive it back. Although I'm not sure I have the nerve to drive north of the Equator these days - too many conflicts and terrorists tearing the place apart.

I had a diesel auto Toyota Hilux (40+ mpg), about 10 years ago, which I should never have sold. Had one in Africa in 2005 and did about 30,000km in it, a circuitous route from Cape Town to the Equator and back, including every sub-Equatorial country apart from Botswana. Easy to work on and they can fix them virtually anywhere in Africa. One time, I enjoyed a couple of beers with a garage owner while his lads MADE me some new leaf springs. I'd consider another when I'm ready to change, if I can find one. Africa is right hand drive, so maybe another adventure is to go there, find one and drive it back. Although I'm not sure I have the nerve to drive north of the Equator these days - too many conflicts and terrorists tearing the place apart.
Always remember Jeremy Clarkson putting a hilux through some serious c*#p, to try to see how much abuse they could take. I think the final straw was when they dropped it from a block of flats or from a crane (I cant remember what the situation was) but I believe the engine still turned over!
I'd have one, or something new, but am no longer prepared for the angst a new vehicle brings around people that haven't any respect for their own property let alone mine. Second hand hilux's are ridiculously priced as they hold their value, & I understand why. 👍

Top Gear also left the Hilux in Morecambe Bay overnight, so it got completely swamped with sand and water. Started the next day, no problem. It was rhe vehicle they couldn't kill.

Have you noticed Haydn you can park “ miles” from another vehicle in a car park with a new car and when you come back some bar steward is next to you and you have difficulty open the door 🤷🏻‍♂️

I bought a Mondeo estate in a hurry a couple of years ago, £2600. It's not pretty, but it's very effective at swallowing enough gear for two people on a three day break up on the Trent... 10,000 trouble free miles since, save for me hitting a pothole.

If i had the cash - i'd probably buy an Audi A6 Allroad.

I bought a 2020 Ford Focus estate, 1.5 td, in February. There's loads of space, more than my previous 2006 model.
I get at least 60 mpg on a run, pulls extremely well, nicely appointed and comfortable. Just been down to North Devon for a fortnight, covering over 500 miles altogether, no worries.
This will be my workhorse for the next five years.

Back