• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing for barbel with Cralusso Floats - Richard Easom

Alan Hodgson

Hi all

I only fish occasionally for barbel having fallen under the spell of fly fishing. However I live close to the Welsh Dee and do like to try and winkle one out now and again. I've mainly fished with the feeder but was intrigued by the following blog by Richard Easom on float fishing for barbel with Cralusso flat floats

In it he says he will detail his technique in the next installment "Part 5". However this is not on his blog site and I've been unable to find it via Google. Does anyone know where I might find this ?

Cheers

Alan

What's wrong with a Crow Quill Avon?
He says other anglers tell him to ''feeder fish and ditch the float'...and then I noted who the author is...............

Hi all

I only fish occasionally for barbel having fallen under the spell of fly fishing. However I live close to the Welsh Dee and do like to try and winkle one out now and again. I've mainly fished with the feeder but was intrigued by the following blog by Richard Easom on float fishing for barbel with Cralusso flat floats

In it he says he will detail his technique in the next installment "Part 5". However this is not on his blog site and I've been unable to find it via Google. Does anyone know where I might find this ?

Cheers

Alan
I'm not sure
Hi all

Cheers

Alan
I don't think there is a part 5 Alan. The site is very out of date, that article was from 2012. It looks like the most recent article is from 2016.

Allow plenty of time, it'll take you an hour just to put the float together, let alone plumb it up correctly.......

I’ve tried afew cralusso floats
The bolo is an interesting concept as it walks across the river away from you the more you hold it back. Very bizarre float but useful if you want to bosh the far bank at a heavily reduced pace.

I’m not against these very inventive and creative floats but for me they have been bought more on the basis of scratching an itch and satisfying one’s curiosity.

In the end I always revert back to the good old fashioned stemmed bolo and despite Richard’s conclusions in that article, I don’t have any trouble with a standard bolo, obtaining a good trot presentation. He’s making out that you need these floats or you won’t catch fish 🤷🏻.

I used the Cralusso floats a lot when they first came out. With respect to the Surf I found it did fish big baits for big fish very well however, it needs to be set up correctly for the flow and depth or it won’t fish correctly. The flow has to be even, no boils or change of pace etc or it just won’t work. If the Cralusso video is still on the website or Utube the ‘perfect’ conditions are evident. Their use for me, in our rivers, is extremely limited and not worth the trouble.

Back