• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Mease

Alex Constantinou

Does anyone have any info on this gem of a river, does it still have the potential to throw up a nice surprise? From what I hear the river is a shadow of what it once was, with barbel being thin on the ground.

I fancy a change of scenery but with no longer being self employed and family commitments time on the bank is incredibly limited. I’m not after being put on fish but of all the small rivers local(ish) to me this is the one I’ve not fished much at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Shallow and overgrown around Measham, Alex. We used to fished Stretton en le Field years ago, and it was good fishing. Find yourself a deep hole and a bit of cover and it held good Chub and Roach fishing. Never heard of Barbel being caught, but I never fished it further downstream.

I did have a walk around Netherseal a while ago and there was a chap fishing the BAA stretch and he said there were a few Chub about, but very hard going.

A shame, as it was a lovely place to fish.

Thanks for the replies!

I forced myself out for a bit with the roving gear today. Needless to say it was tough going but I did find a few areas that picked my interest for future reference.

I do love this kind of fishing but the blanks can get demoralising after a while. Especially with time being at a premium these days!

I have been told it still holds a very low stock of barbel but we are talking exceptionally low numbers and very localised populations. I set myself the challenge of a nice barbel off all the small local rivers but the mease is the one proving to be the biggest headache of them all.

Back