• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centre pin recommendations

Just loooked at these Mark £35 delivered on eBay . How was it to trot with ? 🌞🎣
Did the job well enough, very similar to other pins like the clones of the Okuma Sheffield but it's a lot lighter. Mine spins very smoothly and freely for the price. I'm not a fan of the stores but some AD shops have them in if you wanted to see one before buying off eBay (AD are trying to sell them for around £50 I think).

Sorry Huanzhou, but this one is far better from a master caster…

Finally pulled myself together and gave this ago yesterday, using the video above. I some success, not every time but enough for some encouragement.

One thing I noted in Richard's video is that he mentions dropping the float then starting the spool spinning. I watched another video with Martin Porter this morning where he says to start to the spool spinning then drop the float. Watching them both there can't be a second difference in how the decision works out but I just wondered (haven't yet got back out to try) whether people have a strong opinion on this either way?

Finally pulled myself together and gave this ago yesterday, using the video above. I some success, not every time but enough for some encouragement.

One thing I noted in Richard's video is that he mentions dropping the float then starting the spool spinning. I watched another video with Martin Porter this morning where he says to start to the spool spinning then drop the float. Watching them both there can't be a second difference in how the decision works out but I just wondered (haven't yet got back out to try) whether people have a strong opinion on this either way?
It's kinda simultaneous really Christian. I just feel it now and don't think about what I'm doing. Timing is absolutely everything with the Wallis cast.

Only thing matters in Wallis cast is when you pull the line. Holding the weight or not is optional. Also, putting the tension on the rod? Optional as well. Turning your body? Casting from side? Doesn’t matter at all. As long as you can swing the float out, and pull the line at right time, job done.

You may want to try multiple ways to do the Wallis cast and find one that you feel most comfortable with.

BTW, I found Martin’s way of casting is really uncomfortable for me, 90% of time I use under arm cast.

Only thing matters in Wallis cast is when you pull the line. Holding the weight or not is optional. Also, putting the tension on the rod? Optional as well. Turning your body? Casting from side? Doesn’t matter at all. As long as you can swing the float out, and pull the line at right time, job done.

You may want to try multiple ways to do the Wallis cast and find one that you feel most comfortable with.

BTW, I found Martin’s way of casting is really uncomfortable for me, 90% of time I use under arm cast.
It’s very rare I hold the rig and pre load the rod especially if I bring a bait back that’s to go straight back out. I’ll just swing it straight out from a hanging position just after setting the reel in motion.
I don’t believe it is a full Wallis cast but like you say we just need to get the job done.

If I want real distance but not too fussed about accuracy then the swing cast will for me easily double the Wallis cast for distance and has less components to it as well. Timing and smoothness are really crucial with it and I can’t hit the spot as well as I can with the Wallis but sometimes you just need to bosh the very far bank.

I’m certainly no expert at either but the important thing is I can get a float out where I need it and that’s all that matters.

@Ian Woods has one of the most perfect techniques I’ve ever seen at the full Wallis cast.

It’s very rare I hold the rig and pre load the rod especially if I bring a bait back that’s to go straight back out. I’ll just swing it straight out from a hanging position just after setting the reel in motion.
I don’t believe it is a full Wallis cast but like you say we just need to get the job done.

If I want real distance but not too fussed about accuracy then the swing cast will for me easily double the Wallis cast for distance and has less components to it as well. Timing and smoothness are really crucial with it and I can’t hit the spot as well as I can with the Wallis but sometimes you just need to bosh the very far bank.

I’m certainly no expert at either but the important thing is I can get a float out where I need it and that’s all that matters.

@Ian Woods has one of the most perfect techniques I’ve ever seen at the full Wallis cast.
Yeah, I do that as well sometimes, easier and quicker to get the float out.

For swing cast, how big is your float? I don’t feel it works well with light (<20g) lead.

Yeah, I do that as well sometimes, easier and quicker to get the float out.

For swing cast, how big is your float? I don’t feel it works well with light (<20g) lead.
8-10g I only use it on the wide sections of the Trent but it works perfectly fine and I’m sure it would with even less weight.

You need to let that spool go as your in the backward motion of the cast and smoothly without stopping go back then sweep forward
can do 5-6 15ft rod lengths with the kingpin with less than 10g on and a float.
I don’t ledger with centrepins

Back