• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pair of lightweight shimano baitrunners wanted

Steven Sweet

Senior Member & Supporter
Finding my 10000's way too heavy on lighter rods, so was wondering if anyone might have any lightweight models going / what they'd suggest.
(Ideally, I'm hoping the reels are close to half the weight of the 10000's xtr ra's)

You want a 4000 or 2500 size. The 6000 is the same rear drag body as the 10000 just a smaller spool. Depends on size of river but I use a 4000DL for the Severn during the summer on my 1.75tc and a 6000DL during floodwater or on the Trent on my 2.25tc. My 6000s then do my great all through the winter for my piking.

Used to have Shimano's but found the Daiwa GS range good - have GS 5000's selling some GS 3000's (2500 size)
Mind you Castizm 25 are my go to reels for pond pigs

Sorry for the slow reply, it's been a one of those days at work where you can't get a quiet moment

The shimano 2500/4000 series are exactly what I was looking at last night.
I figured my options were:
-OC
-DL-FB
-ST-FB

The 4000D definitely belongs on that list too

Used to have Shimano's but found the Daiwa GS range good - have GS 5000's selling some GS 3000's (2500 size)
Mind you Castizm 25 are my go to reels for pond pigs
How do you rate the Daiwa GS? I'm only going to fish maybe 15m's away at a stretch, so Castizm might be overkill. I looked at the shimano Thunnus but couldn't justify it as a travel reel for fish less than 10lb 😁

I've never really strayed from Shimano apart from a few light drennan reels for surface fishing, so I've not got much insight into other brands

How do you rate the Daiwa GS? I'm only going to fish maybe 15m's away at a stretch, so Castizm might be overkill. I looked at the shimano Thunnus but couldn't justify it as a travel reel for fish less than 10lb 😁

I've never really strayed from Shimano apart from a few light drennan reels for surface fishing, so I've not got much insight into other brands
So far so good nothing to complain about on them even the one 5000 that took a dunk as I forgot the baitrunner. Not really used the 3000s so selling those and sticking with the 5000 on my short rods.

Sorry for the slow reply, it's been a one of those days at work where you can't get a quiet moment

The shimano 2500/4000 series are exactly what I was looking at last night.
I figured my options were:
-OC
-DL-FB
-ST-FB

The 4000D definitely belongs on that list too
I have a couple of the 2500 DL FBs twinned with Harrison Avon SU 1 10s and have been very happy with them on small rivers while roving around.

Back