• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

ok its not a Barbel ! BUT ITS A RECORD !!!

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
TRULY AMAZING
the freshwater Eel record has been broken by long time Eel angler Steve Ricketts. This leviathan was 47 inches long and weighed 11lb 3oz. It beat the previous record by 1oz which stood for 46 years. What a magnificent fish as big eels are as rare has hens teeth

There cant be ANYONE more deserving to set a new record than the Legend that is Steve Ricketts Congratulations so well Angled

Attachments

• EEL RECORD.jpg
    EEL RECORD.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 156
Fully agree, proper. And how many of us had questions about that fish of Steve Terry.
I have several tenuous ‘angling claims to fame’ with the previous record Eel…

These are very much tongue in cheek, but are also very true…

The captor’s nephew is a former employee of mine. Nice lad, still pops in to say hello.

The Eel was set up (pretty commonplace for records in those days, I think). It spent a long period on display in a pet food/tackle shop formerly owned by my brother in law’s father.

The venue it was caught from is now co-owned by my Barber. Apparently, it’s the only Eel that has ever been caught (reported) from there!

This would all be quite explainable if the lake was in the same town, but it’s a county and a hour and a half’s drive away.

Didn’t realise there was any controversy regarding it though? I was -4 when it was caught, mind…

Definitely a well deserved catch for Steve Ricketts - what a record to better by design - big respect!

And I think I’m pleased that I can reference the above and make it even more tenuous by stating ‘the second biggest Eel’ when telling fishing pals 🤣

Back