• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

JB Taste F2 basemix

Roger Pearman

As we approach the start of the season I’m in the process of nailing down my bait choices for the warmer months.

Going down the JB route after seeing a recent thread on here.

Anyone else specifically using Taste F2?

Taste F2 - not for me, used it throughout last Season on a number of occasions but no barbel. IMO not in the same class as the JB frost & flood base mix but unfortunately he’s not making this mix anymore😩

I used it last year on 4 different rivers , don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Although this season I’m going for something different from BAF , just because I can tinker more and I can buy local avoiding shipping costs.
Still be using a combination of two JB flavours though.

Taste F2 - not for me, used it throughout last Season on a number of occasions but no barbel. IMO not in the same class as the JB frost & flood base mix but unfortunately he’s not making this mix anymore😩
Use milk & honey instead of F&F, just prebait very sparingly and when fishing just use a hookbait with paste wrap

Interesting feedback.

Many factors involved of course and if there was one ‘do it all’ bait then of course we’d all be using it.

I just want to be confident and stick it out with something proven for the first few months of the season (at least)

I’ve bought a few of the pick n mix sized flavours to try with it so we’ll see how it goes before I make a bigger commitment financially.

There are literally loads of bait companies out there producing good quality bait.

Taste f2 is an unbelievably good alternative to fish meals. I’ve caught barbel on it plenty of times, they just love it.

It’s fantastic with his chicken tikka flavour. And I know it’s done some massive nene barbel to an Angler using a blend of roast chicken and cheese flavour in low doses.

I’d say it was every bit as good as his bio shellfish.
Another excellent bait that I’ve caught on is Bombay spice mix.
(30g of his spice mix per 1kg bio shellfish) barbel love that too

Taste F2 and BS4 worked for me last season.

Only issue is if you’re only buying 1kg the cost of shipping is 1/2 the price of the product.
That’s the kicker for me , it’s hard to swallow that postage .
However it’s cheaper from Johnstone/Ross or Yateley Angling , postage is free if over a certain amount .
But I did get a couple of kilo from Yateley and it did have the old price covered up with the new price , so made me think how long they have it in stock . Still caught me plenty !

However it’s cheaper from Johnstone/Ross or Yateley Angling , postage is free if over a certain amount .
But I did get a couple of kilo from Yateley and it did have the old price covered up with the new price , so made me think how long they have it in stock . Still caught me plenty !
And me, just can’t justify the postage.

I still use JB flavours but get base mix from BAF now.

I order from tackle shop instead of from JB, you can normally get free shipping. I also worried the freshness of the bait, but Johnston Ross seems ok.

Last edited:
Back