• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What luggage bag for roaving with a float rod?

Ian Woods

When I go float fishing for barbel I often walk several miles of river whilst doing so. Because of this I like to take as little as possible, but not so little as to be stuck for something.
For years I searched for the best thing to carry my gear in, trying waist pouches, small rucksacks, fly anglers vests etc etc, but they were all either uncomfortable, struggled to hold all my bits and pieces, or were too heavy etc, so non of them cut it for me.
Ayhow, it must be about 6 or 7 years back when I came across a Orvis sling pack, I liked the look of it and bought one of the mid sized ones. It's turned out that the sling is the best thing i've ever had for the purpose of roaving with a float rod!
You can keep it on whilst wading and if you find yourself needing anything inside it, it rotates round your body with the openings all facing upward, so giving you easy access. It also has a bottle holder for your drink if you should need one.
Here's a review (not mine) on youtube.....

I just ordered a larger version of that pack, called the guide sling pack. It has been updated a little with a few added features....

After using the sling for 6 or 7 years I can't recommend it enough for a roaving float fishing angler. It would be good for any angler really if it would hold enough gear for them. The bags are expensive, but imo well worth the expense.

I used to use Simms sling packs when I was fly fishing, partly because they were actually set up for left handers like me (strap over the right shoulder) and partly because I thought they were better designed than other brands. Orvis quality has gone downhill in the last 10 years, whereas their prices have done the opposite.

I bought one of these when all the zips on my Drennan roving bag went kaput. It’s been perfect for what I take with me roving 👍🏻

IMG_1556.png

I was going to say exactly the same. Orvis stuff can be good but is fearsomely expensive.

Other sling packs are available at a fraction of the Orvis/Patagonia/FishPond/Sage etc prices; whether they will do what you want is up to the individual.

Same logic applies to waterproof rucksacks aimed at fly anglers - the pricing is a joke. I have one (FE active) 30 quid on Amazon and it’s fine.

I used to use Simms sling packs when I was fly fishing, partly because they were actually set up for left handers like me (strap over the right shoulder) and partly because I thought they were better designed than other brands. Orvis quality has gone downhill in the last 10 years, whereas their prices have done the opposite.

I get what your saying, i think some of their stuff has gone downhill, but the sling bags are still sound...imo.

Regarding the waterproofing, it's only a few quid for a tin of spray on scotchguard/waterproofer. For my medium sized ones I have placcy bag for life from liddle to put the bag in if leaving it on the bank 😉

Last edited:
I bought one of these when all the zips on my Drennan roving bag went kaput. It’s been perfect for what I take with me roving 👍🏻

View attachment 29631

I have one of those drennan roving sling bags and find it to be naff, there isn't even a retaining strap so everytime I bend over it slips round....total crap imo.
I did try going down the shoulder bag route, I fou d the best one to be a orvis, then the crane bag from aldi's, but, I couldn't get on with any of them. The orvis slings are expensive, but they last well and are very comfy and useful. I've worn my one for 6 or 7 years now and appart from some wear the the inside back padding the sling is perfect still.

Likewise I’ve tried a lot of various designs and come to the conclusion I don’t like having any luggage or bags, slings or vests on me at all while I’m actually fishing. The only thing I have on me while I’m actually fishing is a waist pouch

To and from swims carrying everything I need for the day……. Just a comfortable rucksack.

I was going to say exactly the same. Orvis stuff can be good but is fearsomely expensive.

Other sling packs are available at a fraction of the Orvis/Patagonia/FishPond/Sage etc prices; whether they will do what you want is up to the individual.

Same logic applies to waterproof rucksacks aimed at fly anglers - the pricing is a joke. I have one (FE active) 30 quid on Amazon and it’s fine.

I've just clocked those rucksacks, they look ok if you want a rucksack, but they are nothing like the slings i'm talking about.

I've just clocked those rucksacks, they look ok if you want a rucksack, but they are nothing like the slings i'm talking about.
Apologies; the rucksack reference was about the pricing, rather than using it for your roving application (I use mine for saltwater fly fishing).

Cotswold Aquarius Mini Roamer.

Compact, well designed and easy to access compartments, well built, and it fits comfortably when worn over the shoulder.

The only reason I carry a bag when roving is for a bottle of water(1.5l) otherwise everything I need can fit into my pocket.
The issue for me when I go trotting is bait.
You never know how the session is going to pan out and on days when they are really really having it the last thing you need is to run out of bait before 11am 😳
So I can carry the lightest most comfortable bag going, I’ll still have a great heavy bucket full of bait on me when I go trotting.

The exception to this would be if I’m going somewhere where there isn’t the volume of fish to feed and your more aiming for a single bite in a peg before moving.

Iv tryed lots ov different bags and rucksacks for roving and waisted alot ov money over the years ..all you need is some think waterproof and big enuff to carry what you need and of course it as to be comfortable to carry.i picked this up last year and il never looked for another bag for roving since..hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20240421_133505.jpg
    20240421_133505.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 69
The issue for me when I go trotting is bait.
You never know how the session is going to pan out and on days when they are really really having it the last thing you need is to run out of bait before 11am 😳
So I can carry the lightest most comfortable bag going, I’ll still have a great heavy bucket full of bait on me when I go trotting.

The exception to this would be if I’m going somewhere where there isn’t the volume of fish to feed and you’re more aiming for a single bite in a peg before moving.
I know, bait can be a problem, I am considering the drennan bait pouch, 5pint capacity should last me for a good day of fishing.

I used to carry my bits and pieces in a waistcot, and carry a cotton neck bag full of maggots round my neck. That was ok for a spell, but then I wondered WTF my neck was wrecking me 🙄.
It took a while, but I finally gave up on that idea lol.
Nowadays I carry a small'ish bucket with several pi ts of magg's in it, and a smaller (old yogurt bucket) filed with sweetcorn in wth the magg's. The frozen corn keeps the maggs cool in summer. When I get to a swim I pour some magg's into my bait pouch and put some corn in the front pouch on the pouch....if you get my drift 🙂.
I just top up my bait pouch put of the buckets as and when it starts to get low.
The orvis sling is where I keep all my bits, float tube, scissors packs of hooks, sunlglasses, torch, headlight, shot, olivettes, disgorgers, raincoat, drink and numerous other little bits.
I thought the sling may have given me shoulder or neck pain when carrying it loaded up, especially when walking any distance, but it doesn't! I have found that sometimes i'm struggling to squash things into my regular sized sling which has 11litres of space so have just ordered the guide sling which is 18litres.

This is my kit for a days trotting ....

If i'm wading I have folding landing net that hangs off my belt.

For all my true roving angling (i.e. a dozen or more swims rather than 2 or 3) I have an army surplus utility belt/waist bag to which I can attach different pouches to suit what I'm fishing for at the time.

There are any number of similar bagso from military suppliers ~ eg,

There are any number of similar bagso from military suppliers ~ eg,

Looks brilliant, but what it really doesn’t look is 125 quid! 😮

I take a rucksack with every thing in it. My rod and reel is already set up to fish. When I am float fishing, I keep terminal tackle in a chest wader pouch and have 2 maggot/bait bags.

Back