• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Normark float rod buyers guide

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I saw a post on a Facebook group the other day that got me thinking.
Then I received a pm on here asking similar questions that got me thinking even more….

Its very difficult to obtain a normark rod for the right money if you really don’t know what you’re looking for. Some are worth £30 and others over the £500 mark but unless you’re clued up enough to spot the right things it could land you with a very expensive mistake.

I’m going to fill this thread with some things to look for regarding the 3 commonly known float rods which seem to be the most sought after when we discuss normarks.

I’m not an expert but I’ve researched this heavily, owned and used plenty over some time and I know enough to put a brief buyers guide together. Anything that doesn’t read right please feel free to comment and put it right.

One thing that remains simple when we discuss the commonly known normark float rods is there is 3 models and that never changes.
Microlite (light action)
Titan (alrounder medium action)
Avenger (stepped up action)

The differences between them vary from era to era but as a rule of thumb it’s around 15% more stiffness in the middle and lower part of the blank as you step up to the next model.

I haven’t used every one so again if there is an era where it’s significantly more or less than this please say. Certainly on the 2000 range it’s around 15%

The mine field starts when we discuss eras or model ages etc.

Starting off in the early 80’s till the early 90’s we have the originals or mk1’s or early models as they are often referred as. It was something like 81-90 but I don’t know exactly and it’s not important here
These rods had unmistakable features to identify them. First off full cork handles and sliding bands. Duplon and locking reel seats didn’t come onto normarks until the 90’s
All the guides were double legged and interestingly the length of the rod in inches and no of sections was displayed as part of the model number on the blank.
IMG_4554.jpeg

These are not too bad regarding being sold with the dreaded normark short tip section. However it does happen and the best way to check on one of these older versions is to put it together and measure the entire rod. Within a couple of mm (allowing for any spigot wear) it should measure what it says on the blank 156 inches in this case with the microlite.
Tip and middle sections lengths should be the same but on these earlier ones it’s not as reliable to determine a loss as it was on the later models.
IMG_4555.jpeg

Value…. These are my opinions based on both research and what others have currently sold for.
The early mk1’s tend to fetch similar amounts despite whether it’s an avenger or titan etc if it’s full length with original bag in decent condition like above then expect to pay around £100-150 depending on how clean it is.

Into the early 90’s and the team 2000 was born. These are the ones that get the biggest mention because they jumped decades ahead when they were first released. Nothing else around was remotely like them and loads were sold over a 8 year period i believe.

Buying them today requires some thought, knowledge and research.
First off the Titan while highest in demand is by a mile the most common and least valuable out of the 3. There’s many variations of the 2000 range in the respect they were changed slightly as they progressed throughout there era. Luckily I’ve never personally seen a fake but I have seen models modified and it needs to be observed.
They started life with 2 double legged rings on the butt and one double legged on the middle section. The rest were singles and all were silver Fuji titaniums.
These had duplon for and rear grips with gold hooded reel seats made by Fuji.
A very brief period between handle changes happened where a small number of rods were made with all single guides even on the but. These are rare and collectors will pay more for full single legged models to bridge gaps.
After this came the later models which got full cork handles with cork ips reel seats and black guides.
One very important thing to note is the tip guide. If the guides are titanium, the tip guide was a leg less guide and no whipping. Like this
IMG_4518.jpeg

It wasn’t a great guide in my opinion because it caused creaking noises when playing fish but that’s the original guide on earlier models. If you see a whipping behind it then it’s good reason to investigate further.
Later models with black guides got better reinforcement on the tip rings and these didn’t creak
Look out for wear to the gold reel seats on the early ones. Heavy used models have practically no gold left and are almost all silver. It’s a good way to tell if it really has “only been used twice”
Gold seat shown here with slight wear to the rear hood. Front one totally unworn
IMG_4556.jpeg

Tip breaks and short tip sections are very common on the 2000/1000/3000 range of rods. As I go through the others this applies to all of them to prevent me repeating myself.

Do not buy a team normark without first confirming if it’s short or not. After that it’s up to you but the price is massively reflected

Firstly you can’t really determine this from guide spacing because they vary from 95mm to 110mm so don’t do that.

Normark team rods were all built within a couple of mm so that the very end of the tip guide lined up with the very end of the middle section. Any more than 1-2mm and it needs further investigation. If you are judging this from photos in an advert ask the person to demonstrate this by putting all the sections against a hard straight edge and send clear photos to show the sections length. Like so
IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_3416.jpeg
IMG_3427.jpeg

You can also confirm this by putting the rod together for a total length
IMG_3434.jpeg
but it’s not as reliable because a fraction of joint wear on both sections can make afew mm difference on the rod length in total. The middle and tip section measurements being equal is a more reliable way to find out. I’ve personally never come across one that’s more than a couple of mm different in the team *000 range.
This needs to be well looked into over any thing else. Check its full length.
Finally something to note on the team 2000’s.
2 foot extensions were available as extras for titans and avengers at 13ft to make them 15ft
Personally I didn’t think they were great on the 2000’s but they do add value if buying one and the seller is adding it to the rod.

2000 values…….? Tough one but assuming it’s full length and in good used condition and the most common 13ft versions

Microlite £300-400 no extension
Titan….£250-350 with extension £300-400
Avenger £350-450 with extension £500-£700
14ft a little more and 12’s a little less but these weren’t extendable I don’t believe.

Now moving on during the period when the 2000’s were being produced they introduced a budget friendly version a little later on came The team 1000.
I’ve never fished with one but I’ve had a waggle. I don’t know how many if any variations of them were done but they were still a diamura blank. Slightly more through actioned. Less tippy and less prone to breaks. These are quite safe buys compared to 2000’s so long as you still do your checks and don’t pay 2000 money for them.
They got standard Fuji sic rings, and a silver hooded Fuji reel seat. Great rods still high quality and still fetch money. However you shouldn’t be paying any more than 150-200 for a team 1000 unless it’s in unused collectors condition. I’ve got no more to add on these. Feel free to fill any blanks.

In 1998 the 1000/2000 were stopped being produced and we say goodbye to the last of the “normark” normark microlite.
In 1999 the team 3000 was born. Titan and avenger only. And in 1 configuration. These are the very last of the normarks designed by Geoff Salisbury but they were not the last to be made on diamuru blanks.

Buying a 3000 takes as much care as buying a 2000 in the respect that the tips are incredibly fine and most are now short. They were designed as long rods and made on slightly stiffer blanks because every 3000 was supplied with a 4 sleeve rod bag and 2ft extension which worked incredibly well with the stiffness added to the rod. These fished at 15ft absolutely superb and if you find one without the extension it is not complete.

They changed like the 2000 did but over a very short time as they were only produced for 1 year
Early models had full single titanium guides Fuji gold hooded seats. 3000’s never had any double legged rings

In the middle of their era they got a small change to a carbon reel seat with the gold hoods and these are super rare.

then later models like the 2000’s they went black guides, full cork and ips seat.

The titans are the easiest to come across although by no means are any of the 3000’s easy to find.
The team 3000 rods were stopped being made in 2000 and are the rarest production normarks to find today with so very few sold. Especially the avenger.

Value on these depends very much on the persons knowledge of normarks as there are people out there that don’t believe the 3000 to be a genuine normark rod on the Japanese blank.

To some people they are worth very little. £150-200.
However to the educated normark person these are an incredibly rare and sought after rod. The original RRP them in 1999 was £459.00.
Nowadays I’d say Titan 3000 £350-450 and avenger 3000 being as rare as it is £450-550
Your not being ripped off paying that sort of money for excellent complete examples like this one.
IMG_4524.jpeg

continues next post

Now things get really debated because in 2001 normark is going under the masterline umbrella.
New designs different rods and a different float rod was produced. Microlites were back and we say hi to the mk11.
history over because buying a mk11 requires some serious research, knowledge and firm understanding of the model you are buying.

The early mk11 is an exceptionally rare rod especially the microlite. It’s also a very misunderstood rod because it’s associated with the masterline name and not a Geoff sailsbury design. I have had it confirmed by some of the most knowledgeable people in the game on Normarks that these are 100% diamuru Japanese blanks because for a short period of time masterline was able to still obtain them. They weren’t river rods like the team *000 range they were totally redesigned into a very slim slow taper blank, stiffer more robust tips and the best set of Fuji guides regarding stand off that has ever been put on a normark. These are more through actioned and rightly so because the trend back then was seeking more towards commercial waters and wagglers
You probably see as many of these crop up as you do Titan 3000’s and it’s very important you don’t confuse them with the later mk11 when spending money.
Some things to look for when buying an early mk11 to differentiate from the late mk11

Tippings on the whippings are red or blue or green. NEVER GOLD OR SILVER.
IMG_4557.jpeg

They were never multi length. Only 13ft
All the guides were titanium silver not black
The blank at the butt section was incredibly thin. Less than 12mm iirc

Watch out for the varnish finish on these. It was quite common for them over time to start showing milky type bubbles under the varnish.

To value these it’s really hard because the fact of the matter is they are rare as hens teeth and as high quality as the 000’s the value is only effected by either confusion or the model’s origins.

My perspective is simple.
Every one of them is worth £300 plus but no one will obtain or pay that sort of money for them because they are a masterline rod.

Expect to pay £150-200 for titans and avengers
£200 plus for the rarer microlites.

Lastly the later mk11. Circ 2003
The only era of these float rods I’ve never handled. Never really wanted to either. They don’t get great press because masterline changed everything about the early mk11 to create these yet still sold them for mega brass back in the day.
Nothing wrong with buying one now but just know what you are buying
These are Chinese blanks with inferior guides. All whippings were black and gold
A complete late mk11 would have the following
3 equal pieces to make a 13ft rod.
1 additional piece with NO GUIDES on it to extend it to 14ft
No rod bag with these they were sold in a (really nice I might add) denier material zip up sectioned tube.

I don’t know anything more about them apart from these are the fundamental differences between early and late mk11 and if you are buying one or the other it’s crucial you know what your buying

Why…..? late mk11 £100 tops.
Pay more if you want but if that’s the case hold out for the early model.

That’s it……. No more to add.

Chinese normark Float rods went on being sold for afew years till 2007 iirc then gone forever.

I just hope this post gets two things.
1) any incorrect data rectified
2) helps people wanting to buy a normark float rod but too unsure of what to look for and how much to pay.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have a friend who worked in Exeter angling around the time Geoff Salisbury was the brains behind Normark rods. Geoff used to take him to matches all over the country. My friend has a Titan I believe, that Geoff gave him. A totally unbranded prototype that is unmistakably a Normark. I've seen it in action on the Trent, superb action, lovely to see. I've even asked/begged to buy it, but to his credit, my friend wont sell.

Excellent post, and you're right, the Normark "market" is a minefield with quite a few dubious sellers taking full advantage.

Several years ago I inherited a lot of gear from my late uncle. He had a horrible terminal diagnosis and passed away within a few months. We had many chats at that time about all things family and fishing. One evening he said "I've still got those Normarks somewhere". I had always coveted those rods but could never afford them. Mick eventually tracked them down and, a few days later, gave them to me.

9 rods in all, in various states from almost pristine to totally knackered. All purchased over a period of time directly through Geoff Salisbury at Exeter Angling, mostly handed over at various matches around the Bathampton, Devizes & Bristol area. Not just these 9 rods for Mick but similar orders for each of the other three members of the MEADs match group.

Microlite Match RNMM 144-3 12ft x 2
Microlite Match NMMT 156 -3 13ft x 2
Titan Match RNTM 156-3 13ft x 2
Professional Match NMB 156-3S 13ft x 2
Multi Tip 11ft Quiver Tip - heavily modified!

There were other Multitips and potentially Noborons but they were on the missing list.

I've kept and have used one of each of the "duplicates" (haven't used the Professional which is in poor condition). Sold all the rest through various routes with the proceeds going to a Mesothelioma Charity.

50894941_10156103541757253_1167227396424728576_n.jpg
20231128_134108.jpg

MickDobAlanEddie2.jpg

Quite magical Richard and so useful for prospective buyers! Well done.. Never had a quality normark. Did once buy a new 14' float with the name on 8/9 years ago for 60, seller had a few. Left over stock I think. A little heavy as I recall.

Quite magical Richard and so useful for prospective buyers! Well done.. Never had a quality normark. Did once buy a new 14' float with the name on 8/9 years ago for 60, seller had a few. Left over stock I think. A little heavy as I recall.
Probably a mk1 1980’s Titan or avenger if it was a dedicated 3 piece 14ft that felt on the heavy side.

To add a little extra confusion, I've seen the occasional 1st incarnation rod (full cork, sliding reel fittings etc) with "Mk 2" (or II) in the decal. I've no idea what might have made them different from the Mark 1 rods.

To add a little extra confusion, I've seen the occasional 1st incarnation rod (full cork, sliding reel fittings etc) with "Mk 2" (or II) in the decal. I've no idea what might have made them different from the Mark 1 rods.
Yes I forgot about that. Nicely pointed out Chris
Didn’t they get different material sliders or something about the handle was slightly different about them. I don’t even know what to call them.
2nd gen mk1’s 🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻

Edit im pretty sure the mk1 gen11 microlite got gold tips on the whippings and the gen1 I know are definitely just 1 colour which is bright red.
I’m 90% sure there was a difference in sliding bands too but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was.

Last edited:
I can only speak for the microlite at the moment but regarding the 1st generation of rods the mk11 that Chris rightly pointed out had differences which were as follows.
Slightly slimmer blank at butt section,
2 guides on the butt section as aposed to just 1 on the very original.
Mk11 written in gold on the blank.
Whippings were maroon with gold tips throughout.
Sliding bands were changed from black aluminum to Fuji black plastic ones.
Back of the handle was flared duplon with wye button cap exactly the same as the 2000 range that shortly followed it.
I’d imagine if there was also a Titan and avenger first gen mk11, they got the same changes with different whipping colours.

Here is an early version of the Avenger but iit might be the second version I think? This isn't my original 13' ( that was stolen while using it abroad) but is a direct replacement. I bought it in May 1993 from Leslie's of Luton; it was the first decent rod bought after a short absence from fishing. I spent about an hour in the shop waggling this 13' Avenger and a Titan and am pretty sure they also had the newer Normark versions with screw-down Fuji reel seats ( don't recall what they were ie, not sure they were called '2000').

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7120.jpg

I found the new version a little too delicate for me ( not the smallest of people) and the screw-down n handle just felt alien at the time; I preferred the feel of the Avenger to the Titan as it clearly had a little more poke. The difference from the early versions might be the shape ( as per the photo of the are the shape of the handle (onion vs trumpet?). The one the in the pic has metal sliding reel fittings and two eyes on the butt section with black whippings and red trim/tippets. Handle all cork with a Fuji butt cap. The 14' below it is a recent eBay purchase and the handle length/onion shape is identical to the 13' but the reel fittings are sliding plastic with specific shape to accommodate the reel seat.
There is a video of Keith Arthur in the Clean river series waggler fishing in Northern Ireland from about 1992/92where he uses the 13' Avenger and a Daiwa Tournament. I recall reading later that he thought the Normarks could 'lock up' when playing a fish ~ I'd agree with that but you learn to deal with it of course.

I still like the Avenger although the small eyes could cause wrap arounds quite often; - not a big deal as the weight of a float didn't seem to lead to too much trouble. I'm considering getting the 14' overhauled and having all the rings stepped up one size and with single legged guides on the middle and tip sections
In the Masterline period ( I was unaware they did excellent version of the Titan & Avenger) they did release two ranges under the Normark brand called the 'Crusader' and 'Neo'; neither were particularly well received although I never handled either ( see here for example:

All the above material about the 2000's/3000's I found really interesting so thanks to those taking the time to put it all down for the record.

Bit of a nostalgia fest at the moment as i'm tempted by a DAM New Dimension 13' on eBay to see what that's like. Competitor to the Normarks at the time

Here is an early version of the Avenger but iit might be the second version I think? This isn't my original 13' ( that was stolen while using it abroad) but is a direct replacement. I bought it in May 1993 from Leslie's of Luton; it was the first decent rod bought after a short absence from fishing. I spent about an hour in the shop waggling this 13' Avenger and a Titan and am pretty sure they also had the newer Normark versions with screw-down Fuji reel seats ( don't recall what they were ie, not sure they were called '2000').

View attachment 29551

View attachment 29550

I found the new version a little too delicate for me ( not the smallest of people) and the screw-down n handle just felt alien at the time; I preferred the feel of the Avenger to the Titan as it clearly had a little more poke. The difference from the early versions might be the shape ( as per the photo of the are the shape of the handle (onion vs trumpet?). The one the in the pic has metal sliding reel fittings and two eyes on the butt section with black whippings and red trim/tippets. Handle all cork with a Fuji butt cap. The 14' below it is a recent eBay purchase and the handle length/onion shape is identical to the 13' but the reel fittings are sliding plastic with specific shape to accommodate the reel seat.
There is a video of Keith Arthur in the Clean river series waggler fishing in Northern Ireland from about 1992/92where he uses the 13' Avenger and a Daiwa Tournament. I recall reading later that he thought the Normarks could 'lock up' when playing a fish ~ I'd agree with that but you learn to deal with it of course.

I still like the Avenger although the small eyes could cause wrap arounds quite often; - not a big deal as the weight of a float didn't seem to lead to too much trouble. I'm considering getting the 14' overhauled and having all the rings stepped up one size and with single legged guides on the middle and tip sections
In the Masterline period ( I was unaware they did excellent version of the Titan & Avenger) they did release two ranges under the Normark brand called the 'Crusader' and 'Neo'; neither were particularly well received although I never handled either ( see here for example:

All the above material about the 2000's/3000's I found really interesting so thanks to those taking the time to put it all down for the record.

Bit of a nostalgia fest at the moment as i'm tempted by a DAM New Dimension 13' on eBay to see what that's like. Competitor to the Normarks at the time
Great information and pics Roy
Lovely rods btw

Agree Alec - it had completely passed me by that Masterline had produced excellent version of the three models; will keep an eye open for them from now on but from above it would appear they are very rare.
I can be disorganised if uninterested in something but really like order and structure if it is something I like and get interested in. This type of thread is great for seeing the development of the various models and the similarities/differences. Would be nice to see a chronological set of Normark adverts from the various angling mags and a clear timeline of the various model

I believe the spelling for the Japanese blanks is Daimaru?

Now, if anyone has any Milo Powerlite/Powerfast/Powertip I'd be delighted to have a chat...££'s.... (sorry for thread drift)

Back