• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lots of goodies (Pics to follow)

I love my insight rods, especially the 12ft barbel HD I had off you Andy a few yrs back (remember that rod?) …..never found another to make a pair.
P.s you won’t go wrong buying of Andy ….quality gear.
Thanks Alan, that’s kind of you👍🏻

Shimano 6000XTEA

Attachments

• IMG_3180.jpeg
    IMG_3180.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 51
For anyone with any doubts, Andy is a cracking seller of excellent gear.

Thanks for the opportunity to cross another long term want off my extensive list.;)

Hi @Andy Bell , interested in the 2 XTEA reels if still available and would value your opinion if they would be suitable for some light carp fishing with 12ft 1.75lb rods. Also, how do they compare with the more recent shimano x-aero ra reels?

Many thanks 😊

Hi @Andy Bell , interested in the 2 XTEA reels if still available and would value your opinion if they would be suitable for some light carp fishing with 12ft 1.75lb rods. Also, how do they compare with the more recent shimano x-aero ra reels?

Many thanks 😊
I take it you are referring to the 5000’s
The reels would be fine for light carping, that what I’ve mostly used them for.
The clutches on them are superb.
I can’t compare them to new reels I’ve never seen or heard of, but they are on another level from the older GTE’s that I also have, & they are bloody good reels.

Many thanks 😊
George I’ve just had 2 xtea 5000 reels apart for services and as Andy said they are a cut above any other rear clutch Shimano baitrunner.

The fundamental difference is they went back to proper oscillation worm drives. Something they haven’t done on the Malaysian baitrunner reels before and after this model. In which means no gear wear or Geary feel through the handle. It also means they have slowed the oscillation right down on this reel making line lay and casting better.
The clutch is rather good especially for a rear clutch as it houses quality plates which don’t stick and react quicker.
The aero x is a high quality reel aswell. It’s gear driven on the oscillator which will not be as good as the xtra.
If it’s the front clutch x aero you have then I don’t believe you will ever better it for smoothness and reaction with a rear clutch reel. Even one as good as the xtea. It’s just the design difference.
However….. the xtea doesn’t have that horrible short skirt spool or line guard that the x aero has. This alone would make me chose the xtea over the x areo any day of the week.

Hope this helps as these are the fundamental differences

Back