• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New reel.

Martin Osmond

Senior Member & Supporter
I've only ever used old shimano reels for float fishing as I've always loved them and they are bomb proof however it's tike for a change as the small diameter spools really don't help me.

So I've just bought a 14ft Acolyte plus and looking for recommendations on a decent reel to go on it, got around £100 to spend. It's only temporary as I'm getting a Centre pin for my birthday in June.

Cheers
Martin.

These are really nice reels with decent spool size …get the 4000/5000 size if you can find one
IMG_9978.png

Thanks Alan, just been looking and there's a reason I still use old shimanos, don't like any of the modern day reels. That ones not bad but don't like any of the others.....

Thanks Alan, just been looking and there's a reason I still use old shimanos, don't like any of the modern day reels. That ones not bad but don't like any of the others.....
They’re nice reels, I have a 5000 size for my accys …other alternative is look at some daiwa’s in 4000 size, they make remarkably good reels for about £60

I’m a daiwa man myself
There are occasions where I’ll trot with a fixed spool reel and the Daiwa TDX is my reel of choice.
The TDR ain’t half bad either.

I bought a Daiwa Connoisseur 14' power float rod earlier this year. Teamed it up with a Daiwa 4012 TDR. Not had chance to use it yet, but they feel nice in my hands.

Back