• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

okuma baitrunner for tench

Hi Cliff - I got a couple of these of a BFW member last year, Had a few barbel and chub on them and absolutely faultless. Hard to believe the quality for the price, and I'm a 20+ year Shimano man.

Hi Cliff - I got a couple of these of a BFW member last year, Had a few barbel and chub on them and absolutely faultless. Hard to believe the quality for the price, and I'm a 20+ year Shimano man.

Hi Paul

How do they compare to the Shimano OCs? Are the sizes the same as shimano, ie 4000, 6000 etc?

Cheers

Good question - i have OCs in 6000/8000 but not 4000
Nearest I have would be 5000 series GT/GTEs which I did't use an awful lot, and they have been relgated since I got the Okumas.
4000 Dyna Drag are perfect for lighter rods - I use them on 1.25/1.5 Torrix on moderate chucks 25-40 yards with light feeders, no more than 50gm
That's my go-to set up for the Swale for NSL barbel fishing.
BR is simple, clutch is very positive and smooth, line-lay is excellent - not an expert on gear ratios but seem a bit slower to retrieve feeders than other 4000s, but might be me? They balance with the Torrix really well, and the snob in me finds it incongruent to put £35 reels on £200 rods but you know what, they are a joy to use and that's all that matters
I was so impressed with the 4000 I just picked up 2 x 7000 series Dyna Drag which are a chunky reel and I would say without checking weights & dims much more in line with an 8000OC. I do simple , so they will end up on heavier barbel rods ( 2 - 2 1/4") or even pike rods for short-medium range work. But again amazing quality for the money and Okuma has a great reputation.
Big question is how will they perform in a few seasons time, but at the money I paid if I got a season or 2 they've paid for themselves but can't see there being any issues TBH.

Hi gents, any suggestions on a 4000 size Okuma for some tenching, never owned an Okuma reel but I know some of you rate them highly for the money. thanks
Hi Cliff,
Okuma are the dogs do dahs for the price, quite simply unbelievable. I switched over from Shimano 4000 OC’s (I love ‘em) simply because they have crap line clips. The reels I use for my Tenching is the Okuma Pulzar 4000 and I’ve got. 6000 sized Pulzars on my Trent rods. The Pulzar has a couple more bearings than the Dynadrag I believe. GREAT reel 👍👍 it’s such a shame they don’t make it in a 5000 size
Regards
Bill

I've taken the plunge on a set of Pulzars in 6000.

I've loved my little 4000 OC for my barbel rod but note your point Bill on the line clips for tenching. It seems like it should be easy enough to swap the line clip for a decent one on the OCs but going with the Pulzars has saved me money I didn't have.

It's a good point Bill makes, the line clips on the DD aren't brilliant( bit small for my liking) but other than half a dozen casts at the start of a session on the river to get some bait in , I don't use them a lot. You won't be dissapointed.

I've taken the plunge on a set of Pulzars in 6000.

I've loved my little 4000 OC for my barbel rod but note your point Bill on the line clips for tenching. It seems like it should be easy enough to swap the line clip for a decent one on the OCs but going with the Pulzars has saved me money I didn't have.

Just a follow up on this. I got rid of the Pulzars in the end. They are great for the money but I didn't like the lack of range on the drag. Found it ok for bigger fish but didn't like it for more modest ones. Even for bigger fish I'd rather have the options. That seems to be the main difference between the Pulzar and a much more expensive Shimano or Daiwa though. I swapped to a Daiwa and the clutch is beautiful in comparison. Although all round the Pulzar is no doubt a better value purchase.

Nine hours of nothingness today. My mate and I fished different areas and neither of us had any activity. Lake very busy over Easter apparently which would mean mountains of bait going in ! Possibly affected out efforts? Back later in week for another bash.

Nine hours of nothingness today. My mate and I fished different areas and neither of us had any activity. Lake very busy over Easter apparently which would mean mountains of bait going in ! Possibly affected out efforts? Back later in week for another bash.
Ignore that please chaps, wrong thread 🤣

Which daiwa Christian? I'm thinking of a pair of nzons but not the lt rubbish.

I'm using the ss2600, no baitrunner but I am happy to forgo it because I like the clutch and feel of it so much. Despite having them for years I've moved away from baitrunners recently, a lot of the time I was just using them out of habit.

I ordered one of the larger nzons (distance 25?) and it felt really good quality, I sent it back as I was trying to curb my tackle fever.

Back