• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Long float rods for big chub

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
This winter I’ve added afew new (second hand) float rods to my collection and in doing so I’ve obviously been taking advantage and using them extensively along with many others that I have. Comparing them and really getting to know the things I like and dislike.

I thought I’d share some conclusions between 4 of the best.

on a couple of occasions I took 2 rods and directly compared them on the bank swapping between fish and casts.

Between them all over this winter I’d say they’ve put more than 150 chub on the bank between 1-6lb every one of them has played plenty of big lumps now including the most recent purchase and it’s fair to say I’m in a strong position to provide a strong opinion.

It might help others out if they want to buy such rods as none of them are particularly common or can be bought new.

I’ve excluded any acolytes from this write up. I was going to include my old 15’ plus but I no longer have it now as nice as it was and let’s be honest there’s not many people that float fish that hasn’t tried or owned one. I sold mine and I’ll come back to why later.

The criteria is 15ft plus for river trotting top n bottom style with suitable line ratings of 3-6lb

So no mega power float rods and no bit bashers either just good old stepped up long rods for trotting.

Starting off with browning sphere 15’6 river rod.
This rod has some features that separates it from the others. Spliced tip, 6inch longer and a full eva handle.
It’s an odd looking rod that in my opinion is very much function over form. I say that because in my eyes it’s the least attractive looking float rod I own but in use it’s nothing short of sensational.
The worst thing you can do when you first pick up this rod is judge it on its looks or a waggle. It feels very soft and looks very different to other rods. Get line through it asap and all will become apparent.

the tip is very soft indeed and about the equivalent to a 1/2oz quiver tip but it works extremely well in the section it’s spliced into and if you are like me and like to hit fast bites with a wrist strike using spliced solid carbon tips there is no finer tip on planet earth. It’s beautiful and so responsive.

The blank isn’t as firm or rigid as the others I’ll be talking about and I personally think 30-40 Yards is about its limit for firmly pulling hooks home. Further than this and your looking more of a sweeping full body strike to compensate for the rods softer side.

The guides are the best I’ve ever come across for both quality and stand off
Even Fuji titanium’s on normarks are not as usably awesome as the fujis placed on the sphere

Now the action when playing a fish is really really nice. Even a big fish charging for the reeds, this rod soaks it all up and you start really loving the softer side of this blank.
But then when it’s time to say enough and put on the brakes the sphere doesn’t disappoint here either. It’s got bags of stopping power sat right below the upper 2 sections and you can tame big fish on reasonable lines in a limited amount of space.

The handle and reel seat are not particularly great to look at and it bugs me that it’s missing a butt cap in my opinion but just hold it all day and you’ll see it really does work. It’s such a pleasure to hold and trot with. I’m looking forward to giving it some grayling action next season.
Browning state 179g measured weight today 185g. A little optimistic from browning I guess but that’s still an unbelievably light rod bearing in mind it’s 150mm longer than the rest.
Solid 9/10 for me.

Negatives…. Would like the blank to be a slight fraction stiffer for longer trots and
Would like to see a butt cap

Moving on.
Other end of the scale now in terms of its original price. Shimano ultegra ax SPC 15’
Again a relatively recent purchase because I knew the rods well from when they were launched a good few years ago now and I loved them back then as much as I do now.

Why sell an acolyte and keep this you might ask. Well because this rod has got everything exactly where I want it and the acolyte simply didn’t .

Sure at 212g measured on my scales it’s the heaviest of the bunch but it’s also the most powerful and 6lb line is handled easily but it’s not an out n out power rod. It’s very rigid in all the sections with a nice fast hollow tip. It is a far superior big chub float rod over the accy plus and that’s why it stayed and the accy went.
However it is not as powerful as the accy specimen rods and they are in a different power league again.

It’s definitely a fast action rod but apply enough pressure and the whole lot will hoop over but with power behind the blank. You can apply a tremendous amount of pressure with this and it will stop chub or barbel happily even though I probably wouldn’t feed it lines much more than 6lb.
Its weight is not a negative for me. It’s well balanced and never a strenuous task to stand and hold all day. In fact it’s a pleasure.

The guides could do with being a little bigger and why don’t shimano see fit to put Fuji seats on expensive rods. It was still nearly £200 back in the day. It should have warranted a Fuji.

8/10 for me. Blank is sensational the whole thing is just about spot on for trotting any distance for big chub so why not give it a good Fuji seat rather than a generic shimano copy.

Normark avenger 3000.
It’s the only multi length rod ive ever owned that I deem worthy of competing with dedicated 15 footers. It fishes at 15ft so much better than it does at 13ft and it was designed that way after the 2000 range was a bit of a fail imo at this length.

Those that don’t know the 3000, it was supplied with its own extension and the butt and middle sections were stiffened up.
This created a very very rigid almost brutal 13ft rod but when the extension was added you got something that was quite extraordinary. It feels like a dedicated 15ft rod and one that I only ever use at this length. It’s beautiful to look at, it’s gorgeous to hold and its full 200g weight is just balanced beautifully in the hand. The tip is unreal and every bit as usable as a solid splice but without the hinge point or flat spot that most of them can have if not done particularly well.

The action is powerful and very rigid in the middle making long trots a pleasant experience and you’ll hit hard from some great distances. It bends very nicely into big fish and has the ability in the lower half to stop fish gunning for snags just like the sphere when you need to put your foot down and say enough is enough.

If the butt guide stood off the blank that little bit further I’d struggle not to give it a 10 but sadly they are a bit short for my liking despite the fact they are titanium and as we know with these fast tip normarks you don’t get second chances with frap ups.

8.5/10.

Next up. Maver signature pro classic 15’
Most recent purchase just a few weeks ago and I’ve been battering the life out of it. I was very wary before buying this thinking it was going to be another acolyte plus and I’ll get board of it and move it on.

Well that’s not the case. Power wise it’s similar and the tip is not quite as fast but action wise and fitting wise it runs rings around the accy imo. The tip and middle sections are stiffer than the acolyte with quite similar power in the butt section. This makes line mending from a bank sooooooooooooo much nicer and you’ve got sooooooooo much better control over distance of your float before the blank is starting to counteract your movements.

It hits hard at 40 plus yards and the tip is fast enough for exactly what I want in this type of rod. ( catching big fish I don’t bit bash) it is not sphere or avenger3000 fast mind.
it has plenty of stopping power. No chub on the planet is out gunning this but yet it retains a superb playing action.

again the guide stand off is shorter than I like, and I hate the folding hook keeper. It has a really nice Fuji ips reel seat which I love but the thing about this rod that sets it apart is the way it feels to me in my hand. It’s so wonderfully balanced it literally feels like I’m holding a 13ft wand. 180g on my scales which is obviously very light anyway but even at 15ft there’s not an ounce of nose heaviness about it.

Get rid of that hook keeper and this rod scores the highest but it’s there and it annoys me every time my hand touches it.
Based on it’s beautiful balance it gets 9/10

Lasty the reason why my 15’ accy plus is not included and was sold earlier this year.
It was a wonderful rod and the lightest 15ft rod I have ever used at 168g but there was something about it and I never really found it particularly exciting or amazing. The taper in the blank itself was quite slow so despite its fast tip I found it came into its curve with too little resistance and this lack of rigidity made it an average rod to trott at distance from a bank with.
It had power to land big chub but it was all in the lower half. Nothing in the middle so everything that was hooked put a full blooded power curve even at close range.

6.5/10 is where I’d put it

So Not a 15ft rod for me with long trots from a bank for big chub. I probably wouldn’t have sold it if it was bought for a different purpose. I’m still very much an acolyte fan btw.

So all in all these are my current favorite 4 long rods for long trotting for lumpy powerful chub.
None of which can be easily obtained. Some you’ll have to pay a lot of money for but all I personally would highly highly recommend if you get the opportunity to pick one of them up.

Nice write up Richard 👍.

It seems different rods have a different feel for different users/people.

I have had several avengers in the 2000 and 3000 range, although the only 13 to 15's I had were the 3000 rods. I liked them all, as you say the guides were great quality but a little short, that was rectified in the mkII's though, but they were only made in 13 footers so no use to yourself.

I have used a 15ft sig pro and it it felt really nice in my hand, I remember I wasn't impressed with the guides, they looked cheap'os to me. The handle was great though!
I found the rod was to soft once a half decent fish was hooked.

I thought the 15 6 sphere was quite stiff in the mid section and I had no problem hitting bites at 70 plus yds. I had chub and grayling with it and it was fine for them. I sold mine on as I just don't like rods over 14ft very much. I kept the 13 6 spliced sphere which "for myself" is a much nicer rod to use.
Oh, I like the handles but they would feel better for me if an inch or two shorter.
The lack of a hook keeper is a bit of a bummer.
I think the guides ar fuji black alconites, very nice too!

I have had a dabble with a 15ft accy ultra and had several chub with it, it felt nice. I've never used a 15ft plus though.

I've never used the 15ft ultegra, wasn't that the one Nanny Mc Fee was using and it snapped as he played a barbel back upstream?

I do think you would like the 15ft speci acolyte for your chub and barbel fishing, but make sure the tip doesn't twist lol.
It would have been nice if drennan had fitted the acolyte rods with fuji black alconite guides as i'm not overly impressed with the ones they do use. They are ok but imo, the rods are worth adding some quality fuji guides and I would rather have paid a little extra to have the fujis.

that was rectified in the mkII's though, but they were only made in 13 footers so no use to yourself.
Ok. Good comments but your right we have very different perspectives on this.

The avenger mk11 is a lovely rod but the action is all wrong for me personally to want to trot with it. It’s too through actioned the taper is too slow which is why they are so slim at the butt and they made the tip slower and stiffer too. Its more aimed at commercials which was the new fashion thing when these came out. Carbotecs were the same.
I found the rod was to soft once a half decent fish was hooked.
Ive found the maver really excellent for big chub. It’s not what I’d call a dedicated barbel rod but then neither of these 4 are. It’s got plenty of power to get stuck in and it does hit harder than the sphere.
I thought the 15 6 sphere was quite stiff in the mid section and I had no problem hitting bites at 70 plus yds. I had chub and grayling with it and it was fine for them.
I don’t disagree the sphere Is very capable of landing huge fish but stiff it ain’t. Not in this line up anyway. would love a just a little more because I do have to put a bit more effort into a strike with this rod at long range. It will do it and at medium range it’s better than the others because you can whip that tip with your wrist but at long range you depend more or the stiffness in the blank to pick up 50 yards of line and I think the others do this a little better.
I've never used the 15ft ultegra, wasn't that the one Nanny Mc Fee was using and it snapped as he played a barbel back upstream?
No idea. I like the rod a lot.
I do think you would like the 15ft speci acolyte for your chub and barbel fishing,
I do like them but it’s not a rod I’d pick for this line up. I’d only use one of those if targeting barbel.

Just to be ultra clear these 4 rods are not what I’d call power rods. I have others that are more suited to that game.
I’m talking chub fishing here with max line strengths of 6lb.
These are my favorite 4 by a mile of all that I’ve owned and currently own. My sphere is probably the favorite but the others are so close in their own way and the negative points I might make are so trivial it really isn’t important at this caliber of rod. I’m nit picking essentially and it is very difficult to find negatives when they are this good.

What surprises me the most is they are all very different yet they perform equally brilliant at this task. I’ve owned and used a lot that would be scored much much lower

Wow Richard, that's a hell of a post :D

Would expect something like that to.be a close season "project" to while away the days before June 16

Well done.

Just a quick update on this. It appears I vastly underestimate distance and as a result I have to put the sphere now out in front to a 9.5.
IMG_4211.jpeg

Here is the point at which I’ve been returning my floats and hitting bites comfortably at
Over 60m down and having no trouble with any of the 4 contenders.
Yes I stand by my statement that the sphere doesn’t hit as hard as the other rods at these ranges but I’m losing sight of the float here and I put that down to the fact it’s soaking up the spliced tip on the strike at this distance.

However bring that back to 50m and adopt a wrist flick type strike and nothing will match it. It’s like a whip and there’s no way I’d sacrifice that tip for a bit more punch at 65m in range. So not a negative point. You were dead right Ian on that and the sphere now ranks 9.5/10. It still needs a butt cap 🤣

The avenger mk11 is a lovely rod but the action is all wrong for me personally to want to trot with it. It’s too through actioned the taper is too slow which is why they are so slim at the butt and they made the tip slower and stiffer too. Its more aimed at commercials which was the new fashion thing when these came out. Carbotecs were the same.

I remember the original mkII range being advertised as being...slimmer, lighter and faster than the 2000s and also advertised as a river rod. I used a mkII avenger for barbel and chub etc for many years and it was great. I know they do feel a little soft in the mid section when waggling them, but when you actually use them they kind'a come into their own and playing a barbel on one os great fun.
I had all the 2000s and a couple of 3000s when I got hold of the avenger mkII. I slowly let the 2000 and 3000s go because I prefered the mkII.
I would say there will be many who still swear by the 2000 rods, and that's fair enough, they were and still are excellent rods.

I know your thread is about long rods for big chub and you've gone through the ones you like...but...what is/are your favourite rod/rods for targetting barbel with a trotted bait? I would be interested to hear Richard 🙂.

I remember the original mkII range being advertised as being...slimmer, lighter and faster than the 2000s and also advertised as a river rod. I used a mkII avenger for barbel and chub etc for many years and it was great. I know they do feel a little soft in the mid section when waggling them, but when you actually use them they kind'a come into their own and playing a barbel on one os great fun.
I had all the 2000s and a couple of 3000s when I got hold of the avenger mkII. I slowly let the 2000 and 3000s go because I prefered the mkII.
I would say there will be many who still swear by the 2000 rods, and that's fair enough, they were and still are excellent rods.

I know your thread is about long rods for big chub and you've gone through the ones you like...but...what is/are your favourite rod/rods for targetting barbel with a trotted bait? I would be interested to hear Richard 🙂.
Ive only been trotting specifically for barbel the last few years Ian because the Trent realistically is the closest suitable place for me to do it. Down here you’ve got very low stock big fish waters round here that ain’t anywhere near what they once were. We’ve got the upper lea and I’ll try that out this year for the first time.

So in reality I’ve tried a lot less rods out for this particular species. I would love to live on the doorstep of the Trent,Ribble,Severn or wye where barbel populations are strong enough to trott for them and catch them in reasonable numbers.
I think like yourself I would probably drop ledgering tactics all together if that ever was to be the case because I only ever want to catch fish on rivers on floats.

So based on all that my original hi S 15footers are my favorites to catch barbel on and I’ve got to say I’m a daiwa spectron fan if I’m going to use shorter rods.

This season though I think that might all change. I’ve got a TFG TSI 15’ to try.
It’s very light, extremely powerful, beautifully tippy and fitted out with the top end Fuji shit.

It’s the only reason I haven’t bought an accy speccy yet. I have a feeling I might be looking for a second as a spare but needs a real test first.

I reckon they are heavier Ian but I might be wrong.
My 2000’s and 3000’s are 170g at 13ft if IIRC.
What’s a mk11 weigh?

It's so long since I actually weighed the rods i've forgotton. I do remember that the microlite mkII was heavier than it was supposed to be, I think it was heavier than the avenger. I don't suppose it would take much to cause a rod to weigh a few extra grames, a little thicker coat of varnish along even a single section would cock up accurate weights.
Just because they advertised the mkII's as being lighter doesn't mean they are, I think we can take a lot of advertising blurb with a pinch of salt.
I imagine they are most likely about the same kind of weight. I think the mkIIs are a little slimmer in the lower blank but their tips are a little thicker.

It's so long since I actually weighed the rods i've forgotton. I do remember that the microlite mkII was heavier than it was supposed to be, I think it was heavier than the avenger. I don't suppose it would take much to cause a rod to weigh a few extra grames, a little thicker coat of varnish along even a single section would cock up accurate weights.
Just because they advertised the mkII's as being lighter doesn't mean they are, I think we can take a lot of advertising blurb with a pinch of salt.
I imagine they are most likely about the same kind of weight. I think the mkIIs are a little slimmer in the lower blank but their tips are a little thicker.
That avenger 2000 I stripped and redesigned I got down to 159g at 13ft
Like you say it’s quite shocking what varnish alone can add to a rod but when you start removing big butt buttons and shortening handles you can shed grams quickly
At 14ft it’s 10g heavier

I really wanted it to work at 15ft as I have a proper ext for it but it wasn’t great. Felt sloppy and droopy. The titan 2000’s are even worse extended.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.
I realise you might not have one, but do you think the Accy Specimen would have warranted an inclusion - just asking as per your comments on the plus?

This winter I’ve added afew new (second hand) float rods to my collection and in doing so I’ve obviously been taking advantage and using them extensively along with many others that I have. Comparing them and really getting to know the things I like and dislike.

I thought I’d share some conclusions between 4 of the best.

on a couple of occasions I took 2 rods and directly compared them on the bank swapping between fish and casts.

Between them all over this winter I’d say they’ve put more than 150 chub on the bank between 1-6lb every one of them has played plenty of big lumps now including the most recent purchase and it’s fair to say I’m in a strong position to provide a strong opinion.

It might help others out if they want to buy such rods as none of them are particularly common or can be bought new.

I’ve excluded any acolytes from this write up. I was going to include my old 15’ plus but I no longer have it now as nice as it was and let’s be honest there’s not many people that float fish that hasn’t tried or owned one. I sold mine and I’ll come back to why later.

The criteria is 15ft plus for river trotting top n bottom style with suitable line ratings of 3-6lb

So no mega power float rods and no bit bashers either just good old stepped up long rods for trotting.

Starting off with browning sphere 15’6 river rod.
This rod has some features that separates it from the others. Spliced tip, 6inch longer and a full eva handle.
It’s an odd looking rod that in my opinion is very much function over form. I say that because in my eyes it’s the least attractive looking float rod I own but in use it’s nothing short of sensational.
The worst thing you can do when you first pick up this rod is judge it on its looks or a waggle. It feels very soft and looks very different to other rods. Get line through it asap and all will become apparent.

the tip is very soft indeed and about the equivalent to a 1/2oz quiver tip but it works extremely well in the section it’s spliced into and if you are like me and like to hit fast bites with a wrist strike using spliced solid carbon tips there is no finer tip on planet earth. It’s beautiful and so responsive.

The blank isn’t as firm or rigid as the others I’ll be talking about and I personally think 30-40 Yards is about its limit for firmly pulling hooks home. Further than this and your looking more of a sweeping full body strike to compensate for the rods softer side.

The guides are the best I’ve ever come across for both quality and stand off
Even Fuji titanium’s on normarks are not as usably awesome as the fujis placed on the sphere

Now the action when playing a fish is really really nice. Even a big fish charging for the reeds, this rod soaks it all up and you start really loving the softer side of this blank.
But then when it’s time to say enough and put on the brakes the sphere doesn’t disappoint here either. It’s got bags of stopping power sat right below the upper 2 sections and you can tame big fish on reasonable lines in a limited amount of space.

The handle and reel seat are not particularly great to look at and it bugs me that it’s missing a butt cap in my opinion but just hold it all day and you’ll see it really does work. It’s such a pleasure to hold and trot with. I’m looking forward to giving it some grayling action next season.
Browning state 179g measured weight today 185g. A little optimistic from browning I guess but that’s still an unbelievably light rod bearing in mind it’s 150mm longer than the rest.
Solid 9/10 for me.

Negatives…. Would like the blank to be a slight fraction stiffer for longer trots and
Would like to see a butt cap

Moving on.
Other end of the scale now in terms of its original price. Shimano ultegra ax SPC 15’
Again a relatively recent purchase because I knew the rods well from when they were launched a good few years ago now and I loved them back then as much as I do now.

Why sell an acolyte and keep this you might ask. Well because this rod has got everything exactly where I want it and the acolyte simply didn’t .

Sure at 212g measured on my scales it’s the heaviest of the bunch but it’s also the most powerful and 6lb line is handled easily but it’s not an out n out power rod. It’s very rigid in all the sections with a nice fast hollow tip. It is a far superior big chub float rod over the accy plus and that’s why it stayed and the accy went.
However it is not as powerful as the accy specimen rods and they are in a different power league again.

It’s definitely a fast action rod but apply enough pressure and the whole lot will hoop over but with power behind the blank. You can apply a tremendous amount of pressure with this and it will stop chub or barbel happily even though I probably wouldn’t feed it lines much more than 6lb.
Its weight is not a negative for me. It’s well balanced and never a strenuous task to stand and hold all day. In fact it’s a pleasure.

The guides could do with being a little bigger and why don’t shimano see fit to put Fuji seats on expensive rods. It was still nearly £200 back in the day. It should have warranted a Fuji.

8/10 for me. Blank is sensational the whole thing is just about spot on for trotting any distance for big chub so why not give it a good Fuji seat rather than a generic shimano copy.

Normark avenger 3000.
It’s the only multi length rod ive ever owned that I deem worthy of competing with dedicated 15 footers. It fishes at 15ft so much better than it does at 13ft and it was designed that way after the 2000 range was a bit of a fail imo at this length.

Those that don’t know the 3000, it was supplied with its own extension and the butt and middle sections were stiffened up.
This created a very very rigid almost brutal 13ft rod but when the extension was added you got something that was quite extraordinary. It feels like a dedicated 15ft rod and one that I only ever use at this length. It’s beautiful to look at, it’s gorgeous to hold and its full 200g weight is just balanced beautifully in the hand. The tip is unreal and every bit as usable as a solid splice but without the hinge point or flat spot that most of them can have if not done particularly well.

The action is powerful and very rigid in the middle making long trots a pleasant experience and you’ll hit hard from some great distances. It bends very nicely into big fish and has the ability in the lower half to stop fish gunning for snags just like the sphere when you need to put your foot down and say enough is enough.

If the butt guide stood off the blank that little bit further I’d struggle not to give it a 10 but sadly they are a bit short for my liking despite the fact they are titanium and as we know with these fast tip normarks you don’t get second chances with frap ups.

8.5/10.

Next up. Maver signature pro classic 15’
Most recent purchase just a few weeks ago and I’ve been battering the life out of it. I was very wary before buying this thinking it was going to be another acolyte plus and I’ll get board of it and move it on.

Well that’s not the case. Power wise it’s similar and the tip is not quite as fast but action wise and fitting wise it runs rings around the accy imo. The tip and middle sections are stiffer than the acolyte with quite similar power in the butt section. This makes line mending from a bank sooooooooooooo much nicer and you’ve got sooooooooo much better control over distance of your float before the blank is starting to counteract your movements.

It hits hard at 40 plus yards and the tip is fast enough for exactly what I want in this type of rod. ( catching big fish I don’t bit bash) it is not sphere or avenger3000 fast mind.
it has plenty of stopping power. No chub on the planet is out gunning this but yet it retains a superb playing action.

again the guide stand off is shorter than I like, and I hate the folding hook keeper. It has a really nice Fuji ips reel seat which I love but the thing about this rod that sets it apart is the way it feels to me in my hand. It’s so wonderfully balanced it literally feels like I’m holding a 13ft wand. 180g on my scales which is obviously very light anyway but even at 15ft there’s not an ounce of nose heaviness about it.

Get rid of that hook keeper and this rod scores the highest but it’s there and it annoys me every time my hand touches it.
Based on it’s beautiful balance it gets 9/10

Lasty the reason why my 15’ accy plus is not included and was sold earlier this year.
It was a wonderful rod and the lightest 15ft rod I have ever used at 168g but there was something about it and I never really found it particularly exciting or amazing. The taper in the blank itself was quite slow so despite its fast tip I found it came into its curve with too little resistance and this lack of rigidity made it an average rod to trott at distance from a bank with.
It had power to land big chub but it was all in the lower half. Nothing in the middle so everything that was hooked put a full blooded power curve even at close range.

6.5/10 is where I’d put it

So Not a 15ft rod for me with long trots from a bank for big chub. I probably wouldn’t have sold it if it was bought for a different purpose. I’m still very much an acolyte fan btw.

So all in all these are my current favorite 4 long rods for long trotting for lumpy powerful chub.
None of which can be easily obtained. Some you’ll have to pay a lot of money for but all I personally would highly highly recommend if you get the opportunity to pick one of them up.
enjoyment with accumulation of knowledge. Good read!

Thanks for taking the time to do that.
I realise you might not have one, but do you think the Accy Specimen would have warranted an inclusion - just asking as per your comments on the plus?
I don’t have one. However I’ve used one now and I’ve used it briefly for chub fishing with a friend.
and imo it’s nothing short of lovely to use.
I wouldn’t have included it in this line up though.
It deserves to be scored just as highly but it’s not a rod I’d use to specifically target chub only with. The line ratings on it are very underrated imo. I’d have no issue whatsoever putting 8lb straight through it and getting hell bent into a big barbel.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the plus and my opinion should not put anyone off. I just prefer other rods for this specific task.
I actually would prefer the specimen over the plus for this specific task but I don’t class it as a slightly stepped up blank I class it as a power float and a bloody good one at that. So that and the fact I don’t own one is the only reason it hasn’t made this list.

enjoyment with accumulation of knowledge. Good read!
I’d say knowledge has very little to do with it really Alec but I appreciate the kind words.

That write up is 100% opinionated and I fully appreciate another angler might disagree with it completely and they wouldn’t be wrong in doing so. It’s just one man’s thoughts on his favourite rods. 👍🏻

I’d say knowledge has very little to do with it really Alec but I appreciate the kind words.

That write up is 100% opinionated and I fully appreciate another angler might disagree with it completely and they wouldn’t be wrong in doing so. It’s just one man’s thoughts on his favourite rods. 👍🏻
all knowledge is a plus whether personally gained or written by someone with that knowledge! The whole point of fishing to me( that is until I catch a talking fish that is) to read what others do and accept or reject that in so far as it applies to my style of fishing. I have never had a 15' rod, or trotted a river nor plan to do so but I have an invitation to fish the Trent this summer so I now know more that I did last week. I am in fact too old to accept the invitation anyway but life is about having dreams!

Back