• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Oops…reel repair needed.

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
I am the proud owner of a Ray Walton Rolling “Pin”

Last year I was “Roving “ on the River Wharfe when the reel had an unscheduled dunking , the reel band slipped from the reel foot and the reel ended up in about 18 inches of water . It was undamanged and once dried off on the bank was none the worse for wear, at home it was once again stripped down dried, lubricated and put away .
When I next took it out to use it had developed an annoying rumble , nothing I did could cure it. I suspected that water had got inside the bearing and rusted part of it. In normal circumstances I would have just replaced the bearing myself, as I am welll used to repairing Multiplier reels , a centrepin is easy, however, this particular reel is the only centrepin I have ever owned from “New” and I though it best to send it of off to the manufacturer.
I contacted Chris Miles of J.W.Young , he advised me to forward it to him and he would try to sort out the problem.

Today the reel was returned, well packed and posted insured for its full value.It spins like a top, is silent and ready for its next trip .

I would recommend if you have and J.W.Young reel with a problem you contact Chris,he is very helpful and if you cannot fix your reel yourself I am sure he will do his best for you .

David .

Yep, top bloke, always found him very helpful 👍

Edit: I should add that I have only ever sent reels to Chris when they had issues that were "out of the box" rather than repairs.

I am the proud owner of a Ray Walton Rolling “Pin”

Last year I was “Roving “ on the River Wharfe when the reel had an unscheduled dunking , the reel band slipped from the reel foot and the reel ended up in about 18 inches of water . It was undamanged and once dried off on the bank was none the worse for wear, at home it was once again stripped down dried, lubricated and put away .
When I next took it out to use it had developed an annoying rumble , nothing I did could cure it. I suspected that water had got inside the bearing and rusted part of it. In normal circumstances I would have just replaced the bearing myself, as I am welll used to repairing Multiplier reels , a centrepin is easy, however, this particular reel is the only centrepin I have ever owned from “New” and I though it best to send it of off to the manufacturer.
I contacted Chris Miles of J.W.Young , he advised me to forward it to him and he would try to sort out the problem.

Today the reel was returned, well packed and posted insured for its full value.It spins like a top, is silent and ready for its next trip .

I would recommend if you have and J.W.Young reel with a problem you contact Chris,he is very helpful and if you cannot fix your reel yourself I am sure he will do his best for you .

David .
Hi David, do you have contact details for Chris. I have a very old Rapidex that my father gave me when I was a boy and it led to me currently owning 7 others. All in use occasionally. The one my dad gave me I dropped a few years back and it now doesn’t run true and catches the cage. I think the pin maybe bent or similar. I would like a full refurbishment on it as my dad passed away in October and it would be a fitting tribute to catch fish on it again. Thanks. Steve.

Steve I hope you get it fully repaired and back on use in homage to your dad. I to lost my dad in October and have a few things if his not fish but a beanie and it makes me smile every time I wear it.

Hi David, do you have contact details for Chris. I have a very old Rapidex that my father gave me when I was a boy and it led to me currently owning 7 others. All in use occasionally. The one my dad gave me I dropped a few years back and it now doesn’t run true and catches the cage. I think the pin maybe bent or similar. I would like a full refurbishment on it as my dad passed away in October and it would be a fitting tribute to catch fish on it again. Thanks. Steve.
So sorry for your loss Steve, great idea to get the reel going again. I’d say you need Garry Mills though, not Chris Miles.

Best to phone as Garry not the best with emails. Absolutely brilliant when you get hold of him though 👍🏻

Hi Steve .
I am not sure if Chris does refurbishments on vintage reels My reel was only a couple of years old . Nothing to stop you giving him a call though .

+44 7983 794445

As Alan says above Gary Mills does stirling work on older reels .

David

Take a look at the spool and see if it is dented and just catching on the frame and not the pin itself out of alignment. If that is the case find a drill bit that just fits in the rim of the spool where it is undamaged then approach the dented area and carefully tease the metal back into shape using minimal force. This will clear it from catching the rim and if that is the only problem it will be running fine again.

Anything more serious then Garry Mills is your man.

Take a look at the spool and see if it is dented and just catching on the frame and not the pin itself out of alignment. If that is the case find a drill bit that just fits in the rim of the spool where it is undamaged then approach the dented area and carefully tease the metal back into shape using minimal force. This will clear it from catching the rim and if that is the only problem it will be running fine again.

Anything more serious then Garry Mills is your man.
Thanks John. I’ll have a look at that first.

Back