• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float fishing Hook knots

A uni on eyed hooks , knotless knot on baits not attached directly on the hook and hook tying ’machine’ for small spade hooks
G.T.

IMG_2440.JPG

My state of the art hook tying machine back in the days I was still match fishing.

Yea, if your finding it hard work tying by hand then it's a no brainer to use a tyer, if you can, nothing wrong with that.
Lucky for me i'm still ok to tye them by hand, good job to be honest as I ain't got a clue how to use those devices 🙃.
I’ll have to try it again. You’ve inspired me to have another crack 🤣

I just struggle to hold the loop and the bottom of the hook together and leave room above my fingers for the wraps.

What’s the smallest you can tie?

I mostly use spade end hooks now and pre-prepare hooklengths at home. I find it easier to use my fly tying vice than a hook tyer. When I was younger I could hand tie down to size 18.

If I do use an eyed hook then a three or four turn grinner would be my choice.

I’ll have to try it again. You’ve inspired me to have another crack 🤣

I just struggle to hold the loop and the bottom of the hook together and leave room above my fingers for the wraps.

What’s the smallest you can tie?

Give a go, you might surprise yourself 😉.

I hold the hook and line, then fold the line back on itself and kinda pull it into my thumb and finger to start the whipping as making the loop and aligning it on the hook and holding it together is alkward!

I'm not sure how small a hook I can tie now as I haven't tied one smaller than a 18s for several years now.
I've tied 20s in the past, but they were superspades and animals so not super thin gauge wire. Thinking back, I think holding the hook fast was the most alkward thing, especially when trying to keep the line taught.
for my fishing most of the hooks I tye are 14s to 10's.
Like you I favour superspades and animals, but have found the drennan acolyte grippas to be very good. I orderd mine online and got some 14s but the spade is quite small (as are the hooks themselves) and my go to 6lb mono seems to bunch up to high on the spade, so I feel it may well pull over or cut off when under pressure.
I then sent for the 12s and 10s and they are really good. They are ultra sharp and keep the point longer than my other fav's.

I then sent for the 12s and 10s and they are really good. They are ultra sharp and keep the point longer than my other fav's.
Chris mentioned these accy hooks to be pretty good aswell.
I’ll have to get a packet to try.

I had 2 sessions on the nene a couple of weeks back for 83 chub between the 2 days on a size 16 super spade. Bullet proof no nonsense hooks that just do the job well.

Chris mentioned these accy hooks to be pretty good aswell.
I’ll have to get a packet to try.

I had 2 sessions on the nene a couple of weeks back for 83 chub between the 2 days on a size 16 super spade. Bullet proof no nonsense hooks that just do the job well.

Sounds like some good fishing!...kinda size were the chub?

Superspades are top drawer for sure. I swear by them and daiwa sensor mono.

Sounds like some good fishing!...kinda size were the chub?
I weighed 4 of them between 5,3 and 6lb on the nose. That was the red letter day where I had 54 of them and had to dash to AD mid sesh for more maggots the rest of them were between 1-4lb ….. it was just one of those days where everything went right and I had them queued up 20 yards down.

The next sesh I had 29 similar sizes and 3 were above 5lb
It’s been over the bank since

I weighed 4 of them between 5,3 and 6lb on the nose. That was the red letter day where I had 54 of them and had to dash to AD mid sesh for more maggots the rest of them were between 1-4lb ….. it was just one of those days where everything went right and I had them queued up 20 yards down.

The next sesh I had 29 similar sizes and 3 were above 5lb
It’s been over the bank since

I'd be back there as soon as the level drops !

I'd be back there as soon as the level drops !
I will
I fish it regularly. It’s my local
It’s not always like that though unfortunately. Those were special days where everything was just bang on.
Gave the new Avenger 2000 a right proper pasting.
IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3507.jpeg
IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg
IMG_3526.jpeg
IMG_3537.jpeg
IMG_3563.jpeg
IMG_3566.jpeg
IMG_3606.jpeg

Afew action snaps. Nothing fancy unfortunately. It’s rare I take photos when trotting

They're tiny in reality, no different to the superspades, nice and easy to remove and leave no sign of damage to the fishs mouth.
They do seem small though, a 12s acolyte is more like a superspade 14s size. So remember to go a size bigger if you do decide to get some. I find size 12s and 10s accy hooks are good for me.
They do retain their sharpness better than any hook i've had, so you may find the hook is worth keeping hold of and re using after a session.

They're tiny in reality, no different to the superspades, nice and easy to remove and leave no sign of damage to the fishs mouth.
They do seem small though, a 12s acolyte is more like a superspade 14s size. So remember to go a size bigger if you do decide to get some. I find size 12s and 10s accy hooks are god for me.
I’ll get some 14’s because I use Super spade 16 a lot so would hopefully be around same size.
Generally for bigger hooks like 12’s and 10’s I use barbless mostly

Cheers yeah I’ll try them out. 👍🏻

The barbs looks pretty evil on them hooks.
What are they like to remove
View attachment 28535
If it helps, I use the acolyte carp pellet hook, very similar to the gripper but barbless. Comparison:
IMG_0119.png

Both hooks are described as “the strongest hook in the range” so I think are the same gauge. As Ian said they are small (some would say traditional sizing) so go a size up from what you think. On the left a Drennan carp maggot 14, right Drennan acolyte carp pellet 14:

IMG_0126.jpeg

Last edited:
Back