• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Yorkshire Derwent

Michael Brough

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi guys, this season I feel my fishing felling into a rut. I was fishing the same river, fishing the same swim and possible catching the same fish. For next season I intend to explore a new river. I have the York book and am attracted to fishing the Derwent. I will put time in towards the start of the new season with the Polaroids and spade and weed slasher to prepare a few swims. York has four sections of river and my problem is I have no idea where to start. I am a one rod man and prefer to roam and enjoy early morning session. I was wondering if you guys could give me a pointer as to which section to look at. Thanks.

I’d look at Howsham it will suit your methods perfectly. I’ve fished it a fair bit and really enjoyed it . In fact I might get another York book this year .
It does get busy though especially early on in the season .

Howsham busy , which bit of Howsham are you thinking of ? There's miles of it between the Howsham Bridge and Kirkham Abbey which rarely sees an angler . As to the original post , it depends what you are after . If its solitude and a challenge I would go for Howsham up to Kirkham Abbey , or the long stretch above Kexby road bridge , they would keep you fit and occupied for years ! There are Barbel to be caught on both these stretches . Stamford Bridge stretch is busier especially early season but again there are Barbel present .As regards polaroids and a weed slasher , the first two stretches I have suggested are primarily deep and turbid so visual fish spotting would be challenging . Hope this helps .

Mike the above advice is good. Around Howsham bridge does get busy, but if you are prepared to walk there are lots of quiet areas. Join one of the preseason work parties on the Ouse or Nidd and the guys there will give you lots of tips about the Derwent. (No work parties on the Derwent for the reason below).
One word of advice, leave the spade and slasher at home. Most of ydaa Derwent is SSSI and if you are found cutting out a swim, you are very likely to be banned from the club. ( they have had land owners complaining over recent years)

Howsham busy , which bit of Howsham are you thinking of ? There's miles of it between the Howsham Bridge and Kirkham Abbey
As with any stretch of river the further away from the car park the quieter it will be , I’ve walked the full length from Kirkham to Howsham bridge and back again and yes I didn’t see a soul , not sure how many barbel are above Howsham weir either ,
the main bit around the road bridge gets very busy , my fishing trips are usually late afternoon into dusk
/dark and quite frankly I never fancy a long walk back to the car in the dark , twisting my ankle falling down a rabbit hole is my main concern 🙁
Plus cutting swims out is an hanging offence .
I’d head down the left bank towards Paradise farm , about 3/4 mile in length , which is more than enough for me .

Thanks guys, I will get the OS map and Google earth on the case. I will leave the spade and slasher in the car boot. Will look out for working party date on the York&DAA forum.

Thanks guys, I will get the OS map and Google earth on the case. I will leave the spade and slasher in the car boot. Will look out for working party date on the York&DAA forum.
That’s a very good shout about leaving the spade behind. I’m on the York GPC and we’d recommend saving your hard work for the published work parties. If you find some spots that look good but need attention, feel free to flag them on Facebook or Twitter (X). Most importantly, have fun exploring and tight lines mate 👍🏻

Yes, I imagine so. You can also find them on the reverse of the membership letter and they’ll be on the Facebook page too 👍🏻

Hi Michael, as others have said the Derwent is designated an SSSI, from memory it's to 5m back from the river which isn't really relevant this winter. As well as incurring the wrath of the landowner and controlling club you'll also find yourself in hot water with Natural England who take a very dim view. I know a man who got a strongly worded letter from the latter.....

Aldby Park AC is a particular favourite club of mine on the Derwent although I do have York, Leeds and Hull books too. The Aldby Park club tends to be much quieter than some stretches, no match fishing and well-behaved 'gentleman' anglers though I did slip through the net!

Back