• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float fishing Hook knots

Neil Watson

I am interested as what of knots people use when tying line to hooks for float fishing for barbel. I have found the blood knot to be weak and I have lost fish. The Grinner knot is good, but it is difficult to tie when using small hooks. I also use pre-tied Kamazan hooks.

Any suggestions?

I always use spade end hooks when fishing the float.
I like strong wide gape match hooks like drennan super spades or kamazan animals etc.
IMG_3691.jpeg

Eyes for me don’t offer the presentation I want and tbh I only ever use eyed hooks if I’m mounting baits on hairs

That spade end knot will never slip or let go if tied correctly which is easy with a hook tier.
The best version of the hook tier is the stonfo.

If I’m fishing a large bait like a piece of meat and they are really having it on the big baits then I really like these guru hooks in size 10. They have a lovely wide gape, super sharp and strong and just a really nice pattern that works superb with bigger baits on the float.
IMG_3692.jpeg

if using eyed hooks then I just us a knotless knot
So do I. I find the hook hangs better and you don't get the annoying crinkle in the line you often get when using other knots. These things are really important aren't they when using small baits and hooks, particularly for Chub .

I only use spades for float fishing, the usual spade end knot which I tie by hand is my choice.

If for some reason I was to use a eyed hook then I would opt for a uni knot or if the eye allowed, a palomar knot. If I wanted a hair on a spade hook, then I might attach one or use a rubber.

I only use spades for float fishing, the usual spade end knot which I tie by hand is my choice.

If for some reason I was to use an eyed hook then I would opt for a uni knot or if the eye allowed, a palomar knot. If I wanted a hair on a spade hook, then I might attach one or use a rubber.
I used to tie them by hand years ago. The problem is I’ve got pigs tits for fingers, cupboard doors for hands and the eye sight is slowly deteriorating meaning anything smaller than a 12 ends up looking a right mess.
Now I just whip everything up in a stonfo
Doesn’t take afew seconds and they all come out looking the same.

I used to tie them by hand years ago. The problem is I’ve got pigs tits for fingers, cupboard doors for hands and the eye sight is slowly deteriorating meaning anything smaller than a 12 ends up looking a right mess.
Now I just whip everything up in a stonfo
Doesn’t take afew seconds and they all come out looking the same.

Yea, if your finding it hard work tying by hand then it's a no brainer to use a tyer, if you can, nothing wrong with that.
Lucky for me i'm still ok to tye them by hand, good job to be honest as I ain't got a clue how to use those devices 🙃.

It’s confused me 🤣
A knotless knot works by going through the eye twice. I can see how you’d avoid the first time through but how do you do it without going through the second time?
Glad to be of service 🤣. I meant to say “grinner with eyed hooks, spade end knot with spade end hooks”.
Talk about getting tied in knots!

Back