• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float rod for Trent barbel

Hi Neil,

I sold my spare to Richard Isaacs

No intention of letting the other one go yet.
Sooooooo much better rods than the newer mk2’s.
You have to compare them side by side to see the differences in action and power
The original is a far better blank for trotting for real big powerful barbel.

I’d let most of my rods go before these ones.

Sooooooo much better rods than the newer mk2’s.
You have to compare them side by side to see the differences in action and power
The original is a far better blank for trotting for real big powerful barbel.

I’d let most of my rods go before these ones.
Thanks for ketting me know. Interesting that you mention a difference in the the Mk 1 and 2 rods

Thanks for ketting me know. Interesting that you mention a difference in the the Mk 1 and 2 rods
The mk 2 has a better handle and reel seat but the original feels more powerful. I only concluded this myself last week when I could get them together
The original feels to have more rigidity in the middle of the blank. It also feels lighter even though it’s heavier
The weight in the stainless cap n collar balances the original better than the new one.

The mk 2 has a better handle and reel seat but the original feels more powerful. I only concluded this myself last week when I could get them together
The original feels to have more rigidity in the middle of the blank. It also feels lighter even though it’s heavier
The weight in the stainless cap n collar balances the original better than the new one.
I was put off buying the rod because I was told, a couple of years ago, that they weight about 10oz, however I was I formed today the the MK2 model weighs 186g.

I use a 15ft Normark Crusader and have just bought the Mark Tunley 13.5ft rod.

I was put off buying the rod because I was told, a couple of years ago, that they weight about 10oz, however I was I formed today the the MK2 model weighs 186g.

I use a 15ft Normark Crusader and have just bought the Mark Tunley 13.5ft rod.
I’ve got 2.
A custom built and a stock built. Neither are anything like 10oz. I’ll weigh them later on but trust me they are better balanced in the hand due to additional weight removed off the handle on the new version.
Lighter isn’t always lighter

I’ve got 2.
A custom built and a stock built. Neither are anything like 10oz. I’ll weigh them later on but trust me they are better balanced in the hand due to additional weight removed off the handle on the new version.
Get your point, but I will not pay to have a custom rod built so its balanced with the reel.

Mates have the old acolyte, They reckon it the backbone to use on rivers like the Trent. I read in a previous post that you use 12lb line. Is the new acolyte a more powerful blank

Mates have the old acolyte, They reckon it the backbone to use on rivers like the Trent. I read in a previous post that you use 12lb line. Is the new acolyte a more powerful blank
I would never put 12lb line through any float rod.
Yes the new ones have some serious power.
I have not had anything like the time with one that I need to in order to pass real comment but I have had enough to clearly see they will be ideal for double fig barbel.
My free spirits are slightly stiffer than the 15ft accy but I would put that only down to the fact that the accy has a faster tip. The accy is more versatile you could fish for anything with it where as I wouldn’t have a lot of fun catching 3lb chub on the original hi s. Its more for just targeting barbel only imo.

I would never put 12lb line through any float rod.
Yes the new ones have some serious power.
I have not had anything like the time with one that I need to in order to pass real comment but I have had enough to clearly see they will be ideal for double fig barbel.
My free spirits are slightly stiffer than the 15ft accy but I would put that only down to the fact that the accy has a faster tip. The accy is more versatile you could fish for anything with it where as I wouldn’t have a lot of fun catching 3lb chub on the original hi s. Its more for just targeting barbel only imo.
Apologies, the post I was referring to you mentioned using 12 gram floats not 12 lb line.

I’ve the Mk2 15ft Hi-s, can’t fault it tbh.
Don’t be put off in buying one.
Probably going to buy the 10ft version for the smaller, shallower rivers.

I’ve got 2.
Custom Hi S @212
IMG_3663.jpeg

Standard Hi S @215
IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

Something a little different a 15ft power float that will give the accy speccys a rumble on weight figures. TFG TSI 15’

I’ve the Mk2 15ft Hi-s, can’t fault it tbh.
Don’t be put off in buying one.
Probably going to buy the 10ft version for the smaller, shallower rivers.
You’re absolutely right there is nothing wrong with them. They are beautiful rods. I just prefer the original one in terms of its power and action which I only confirmed recently from picking them up side by side. The newer one goes into its progression sooner I found

Still a very capable powerful rod. 👍🏻

Yes a gram lighter.
What does the new 15 hi s weigh Rich
I had the 17ft version which was 218g. Very impressive for its ability.
The 15 is quoted at 185g I think.

The new handles are so light though and it makes them feel a little nose heavy
I’m pretty sure that was the primary area where the weight was shifted.
The blanks might be lighter too

Rods can vary though.
My browning sphere is 186g on my scales and I’ve heard of them being as low as 179g
Could be scale discrepancy 🤷🏻
I consider mine fairly accurate as it often gets known weights thrown on

Back