• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big Cat sightings

Ian, as you know, I fished the Thames there and also the Pats at that time.

I had noticed you were checking out my fishing spots.

So, the plan was good one.

images.jpeg.jpg

First day we arrived in namibia to visit daughter who had just moved there, when daily paper headline was" German tourist killed at Etosha". She said that's where we are going tomorrow. While there at a watering hole two young girls had a car tyre puncture. 4 other cars made a circle, like an Indian attack in westerns, while I was nominated to get out and change the wheel. I can assure all that if a big cat is expected in the immediate vicinity it has a bowel laxative effect which is remembered always. Don't scoff at sightings is my suggestion.Ha.

I do think they're out there, but obviously very few, probably there must be instances of successful litters, but it must be far from successful breeding, watching a you tube video on Big Cats, the evidence was convincing, but there have been captive big cats of various types in this country for hundreds of years, with many escapes, with the food available, they should by now have thriving populations, but yet don't seem to have, or we would have seen far more evidence of kills, ....Wildlife, Livestock, Pets attacked, even people, yet we don't.
I think there are probably various types that may be out there, but don't interbreed very well, and from what I understand mostly any hybrid offspring would likely be infertile.
So I think what rare reports we do hear of are likely the very few that have successfully bred, and had the odd litter, and any that have survived to adulthood have scattered so making it difficult to continue breeding.
I think we'll go on hearing of the odd one here and there for years, but I doubt we'll ever see a thriving population, and if it ever came remotely close, they'd be culling them as soon as they appeared in any number.

Blaze on freeview showed ‘Big Cat Britain Declassified’ yesterday afternoon.
It’s available on catch-up if you have the app downloaded if anyone’s interested.

Back