• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

snowpeg2.JPG

Unlike my old mate ‘the silver fox’ ( G.E.) I’ve never been able to photograph a kingfisher perching on my fishing rod.
I bet there’s lots of you who have given the great little cameras on phones nowadays.
I never tire of listening to that unmistakable call and hoping that little streak of turquoise would as if by magic land on my rod,… one day perhaps.
I do photograph them when I’m on the banks though,… can’t resist especially when the rivers too high to fish like the Stour has been of late. River has gone down a bit but is still bank high and pushing. The kingfishers fish-on though,.. they have to adapt and learn to get a meal from the flooded paths and puddles left by the high water containing a few stranded fry.
I was pleased to freeze this little guy on camera the other day as he searched out the Stour far bank for some slack water and suitable perch,… perhaps he’ll pick my rod someday.
Apols for the waffle,.. I’m suffering from lack of fishing.🙂😉
IMG_4101.jpeg

Unlike my old mate ‘the silver fox’ ( G.E.) I’ve never been able to photograph a kingfisher perching on my fishing rod.
I bet there’s lots of you who have given the great little cameras on phones nowadays.
I never tire of listening to that unmistakable call and hoping that little streak of turquoise would as if by magic land on my rod,… one day perhaps.
I do photograph them when I’m on the banks though,… can’t resist especially when the rivers too high to fish like the Stour has been of late. River has gone down a bit but is still bank high and pushing. The kingfishers fish-on though,.. they have to adapt and learn to get a meal from the flooded paths and puddles left by the high water containing a few stranded fry.
I was pleased to freeze this little guy on camera the other day as he searched out the Stour far bank for some slack water and suitable perch,… perhaps he’ll pick my rod someday.
Apols for the waffle,.. I’m suffering from lack of fishing.🙂😉View attachment 27551
Stunning picture, well done.

Brilliant photo Dave (once again..)

A few years back I remarked to a pal something or other about how brilliant the blue colour was of a passing kingfisher.

He replied: "you do know they aren't actually blue? They are brown but your eyes are playing tricks with you"

I told him he must be on the wind up, but it turns out he wasn't. A trick called structural colouration. Pretty amazing tbh.

Brilliant photo Dave (once again..)

A few years back I remarked to a pal something or other about how brilliant the blue colour was of a passing kingfisher.

He replied: "you do know they aren't actually blue? They are brown but your eyes are playing tricks with you"

I told him he must be on the wind up, but it turns out he wasn't. A trick called structural colouration. Pretty amazing tbh.

Thanks for that Joe,.. really interesting.
I’ve often thought there was a link between kingfisher plumage and light, as sometimes when I’m looking at a perched bird through the viewfinder I lose sight of it and think it’s flown only to find its still there almost colourless.

Yep, kingfisher colours are basically one big interference pattern. A lot of blues & greens in nature are structural rather than pigments; birds, butterflies, beetles, fish…anything that is iridescent.

Years ago I did some work with the NHM. In their stores they have a large tank of old fish samples that were stored in formaldehyde, which although preserves tissue it destroys pigments. There was one fish in there that had a big blue spot still visible after all the years in formaldehyde. This was because the blue was structural (iridophore) rather than pigment (xanthophore/melanophore). Fish colouration is very complicated!

Back