• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prolonged heat

I saw a dead trout float past me the other day whilst fishing, shouldn't be fishing for trout in these temps. I said to myself.

That’s why I very rarely visit Facebook or any of the main social media sites for that matter.

Dave
This is one of the reasons I've come off all but 2 of my fb fishing pages. Only on Ydaa fb page and a private trent page for members only.
Grown men fishing for barbel in baking hot conditions with water temperature likely over 20c, all for likes on fb, and taking a photo of every single fish they catch, especially if they are using a bait from a certain company 😵

what's wrong with these people? barbel in the keep net...where's the common sense?
I know we all hate the use of keepnets for barbel, but they all seemed fighting fit on release, by eastern Europeans as well😉 dont forget most matches on the middle severn and wye will use keepnets, and i bet their not released as nicely as that🤔,did anyone see the picture in the AT of the fella from the tackle shop in bridgnorth fishing the free stretch there, he had plenty of barbel and chub ,all laid out on a couple of keepnets just for a pic ☹,now that made my blood boil more than these two 🤬

only fished once first monday of the season .had covid again and circulation problem came back for 12 days after so lost nearly 3 weeks with them.
hopefully a trip to lower severn end of september and back on the ribble for after work sessions when they get some water in
the Dove will be back on friday nights for the night when conditions are right

You are preaching to the converted on here !

I run a Stillwater fishery and you would not believe how incompetent and unthinking most anglers are….

If ’anglers’ have access to barbel water then they will fish it. The club/owner should police it properly and many of these problems would recede. But that doesn’t happen because the clubs dont bailiff their waters properly - so the anglers can do what they like.

Clubs don’t want to increase their ticket prices - so they skimp on baliffiing and then it’s a downward spiral. Relying on the anglers to police themselves isn‘t the answer.

I used to (20 years ago) fish RDAA waters on the Kennet and they were a revelation; ticket checked everyday, patrols at night and draconian rules. If you broke the rules you were chucked out so you played fair…….It worked.

I know we all hate the use of keepnets for barbel, but they all seemed fighting fit on release, by eastern Europeans as well😉 dont forget most matches on the middle severn and wye will use keepnets, and i bet their not released as nicely as that🤔,did anyone see the picture in the AT of the fella from the tackle shop in bridgnorth fishing the free stretch there, he had plenty of barbel and chub ,all laid out on a couple of keepnets just for a pic ☹,now that made my blood boil more than these two 🤬
I'm looking on the bright side. They went back alive.
Its not a news that we think we released a well rested barbel back, and found it upside down later.

The Usk Brecon Webcam shows that water levels at Nr Brecon are below 0 feet as of 10:50am on Friday 12th August.
River temperatures are rising to dangerous levels in parts of the rivers Wye and Usk.

The current forecast is looking very hot and sunny from today through Sunday 15th August for the Wye and Usk river catchments. Both the Wye and Usk are currently showing extremely low water levels due to continued low levels of rain. This means, as we found in the July heatwave, that the lives of salmon, which are holed up in the lower reaches of the rivers, are at risk due to water temperatures becoming fatally high.
The Wye and Usk Foundation have been undertaking daily water temperature measurements along both rivers and as a result of the high and rising temperatures encountered, have had no alternative but to suspend salmonid fishing below Crickhowell on the Usk and below Builth Wells on the Wye. As of midnight tonight (12th August 2022), The Wye and Usk Foundation have also decided to pause salmonid fishing downstream of Brecon on the Usk and on the Monnow after both river temperatures have risen above safe levels. The extent of the ongoing closure is still under review and as the next week progresses, we may have to close Barbel fishing if the water temperatures rise above 25 degrees.

We are targeting the reopening of the affected Wye and Usk fisheries from midday on Friday 19th August. For trout and pike fisheries to reopen, river temperatures must reduce to 19 degrees or less. For salmonid fisheries to reopen, these temperatures must reduce to 18 degrees or less. Our staff, with the support of some enthusiastic citizen scientists from the Friends of the Lower Wye and Friends of the Upper Wye, will continue our daily monitoring of water temperatures in order to best assess the situation.

Please exercise caution if you are planning to be in or around the Wye and Usk or its tributaries. The river beds, where still water covered, are currently coated with extensive algae layers which are slippery and the water quality is poor for leisure use. Entering the water will also add to stressful conditions already being experienced by the fish and wildlife in the rivers.
Analyser Installation along the Usk

We are currently in the process of installing three new water analysers along the River Usk which will provide a live and continuous flow of water quality data by measuring different parameters, including total phosphorus. In addition to monitoring the effects that agriculture and sewage treatment works have on the river’s phosphorus levels, these analysers will also monitor changes in water temperature caused by climate change. This pool of data will be extremely useful in monitoring these effects, especially as increased river temperatures are expected to occur more frequently in the future.

Whilst we have unfortunately experienced several major issues with our analyser on the River Ithon, we are continually working to resolve this. However, we have an analyser which is currently running on the River Frome (Lugg sub-catchment) which continuously monitors total phosphorus and reactive phosphorus.

The Usk Brecon Webcam shows that water levels at Nr Brecon are below 0 feet as of 10:50am on Friday 12th August.
River temperatures are rising to dangerous levels in parts of the rivers Wye and Usk.

The current forecast is looking very hot and sunny from today through Sunday 15th August for the Wye and Usk river catchments. Both the Wye and Usk are currently showing extremely low water levels due to continued low levels of rain. This means, as we found in the July heatwave, that the lives of salmon, which are holed up in the lower reaches of the rivers, are at risk due to water temperatures becoming fatally high.
The Wye and Usk Foundation have been undertaking daily water temperature measurements along both rivers and as a result of the high and rising temperatures encountered, have had no alternative but to suspend salmonid fishing below Crickhowell on the Usk and below Builth Wells on the Wye. As of midnight tonight (12th August 2022), The Wye and Usk Foundation have also decided to pause salmonid fishing downstream of Brecon on the Usk and on the Monnow after both river temperatures have risen above safe levels. The extent of the ongoing closure is still under review and as the next week progresses, we may have to close Barbel fishing if the water temperatures rise above 25 degrees.

We are targeting the reopening of the affected Wye and Usk fisheries from midday on Friday 19th August. For trout and pike fisheries to reopen, river temperatures must reduce to 19 degrees or less. For salmonid fisheries to reopen, these temperatures must reduce to 18 degrees or less. Our staff, with the support of some enthusiastic citizen scientists from the Friends of the Lower Wye and Friends of the Upper Wye, will continue our daily monitoring of water temperatures in order to best assess the situation.

Please exercise caution if you are planning to be in or around the Wye and Usk or its tributaries. The river beds, where still water covered, are currently coated with extensive algae layers which are slippery and the water quality is poor for leisure use. Entering the water will also add to stressful conditions already being experienced by the fish and wildlife in the rivers.
Analyser Installation along the Usk

We are currently in the process of installing three new water analysers along the River Usk which will provide a live and continuous flow of water quality data by measuring different parameters, including total phosphorus. In addition to monitoring the effects that agriculture and sewage treatment works have on the river’s phosphorus levels, these analysers will also monitor changes in water temperature caused by climate change. This pool of data will be extremely useful in monitoring these effects, especially as increased river temperatures are expected to occur more frequently in the future.

Whilst we have unfortunately experienced several major issues with our analyser on the River Ithon, we are continually working to resolve this. However, we have an analyser which is currently running on the River Frome (Lugg sub-catchment) which continuously monitors total phosphorus and reactive phosphorus.
And there’s still idiots who think it’s ok to fish rivers in these conditions… and actually think it’s funny to do so

And there’s still idiots who think it’s ok to fish rivers in these conditions… and actually think it’s funny to do so
On my way back from work now, see few guys surface fishing for Rudd…not something I would do, but maybe it is ok to fish for species that can tolerate low oxygen level if you are that desperate

Last edited:
On my way back from work now, see few guys surface fishing for Rudd…not something I would do, but maybe it is ok to fish for species that can tolerate low oxygen level if you are that desperate
Did you see the link Paul put on the wye thread? There’s graphs on there that as far as we can make out show there is more oxygen in the water the higher the temp got.

Back