• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prolonged heat

Sincerely hope all their rods become impossible to prize apart on the spigot and that they either break them or have to drive home with 12-13ft sticking out of the front window to advertise their general noddy behaviour!

Lads if this ever happens to you one trick is to have two guys pulling, and have a third gently tapping the joint. It’s quite a common occurrence when pole fishing, and that usually does the trick.

Lads if this ever happens to you one trick is to have two guys pulling, and have a third gently tapping the joint. It’s quite a common occurrence when pole fishing, and that usually does the trick.
Most common in hot weather when blanks have been exposed to prolonged heat - same two man twist and tap technique for rods - can still be an arse however and I've seen plenty of hamfisted 'errors' lol

What if your on your own highly likely in this weather

Thank you all so much for keeping me entertained, when you think Barbel fishing is beyond parody up pops a thread like this.

Bob Gill no doubt yearns for 15 years ago and 'Barbel Wars ' on the forum when Duracell Bonny, The Papal One and Frampoodle gave everyone a laugh. Instead the portishead hermit has to read this.

Sorry Bob, I really am.😊

Thank you all so much for keeping me entertained, when you think Barbel fishing is beyond parody up pops a thread like this.

Bob Gill no doubt yearns for 15 years ago and 'Barbel Wars ' on the forum when Duracell Bonny, The Papal One and Frampoodle gave everyone a laugh. Instead the portishead hermit has to read this.

Sorry Bob, I really am.😊
It worries me Tone when I can recognise everyone you are talking about🤣

It's probably the last one that will throw others.

Sorry Bob, I really am.😊
Tame compared with the old days when it was real fun with games like 'ban me if you can', 'Every barbel website needs a birdman' 'How many aliases can Ade use' 'It's my society and I'll cry if I want to' ad nauseum - proper sport - too many upstart wannabees these days.

Hope you are well and OK Tony - best wishes.

Back to slumber and being a hermit.

Tame compared with the old days when it was real fun with games like 'ban me if you can', 'Every barbel website needs a birdman' 'How many aliases can Ade use' 'It's my society and I'll cry if I want to' ad nauseum. - proper sport - too many upstart wannabees these days.

Hope you are well and OK Tony - best wishes.

Back to slumber and being a hermit.
Very well Bob and I hope you are too. The fun has gone out of Barbel fishing now, it's the grip and grin Instagram is king ethos that kills it.

My mate Monty has the right idea, he targets them with a fly rod and infact all species with a fly rod. No smelly pellet fingers for that kid.

Be lucky.

Another heatwave and I will be hanging up my rods again until temperatures become more reasonable. Quite apart from protecting the fish (not that I ever catch many😕), it’s just too hot to fish during the day and my night fishing days are behind me now. Hopefully things will settle down by the middle of next week, although the way things are going, the issue then maybe a lack of water in the river….☹️

Dave

I don't generally fish much after the clocks go back for one reason or another. So my season is slowly ebbing away. Working outside in this heat also takes it's toll and by the time I'm home from work, sitting out in the heat fishing of an evening, is the last thing I want.

As for decorating, forget it, I dislike it with a passion. I'll do some overtime and pay someone to do it. It amounts to the same thing.

Was fishing Sat and Sun and the wall-to-wall sunshine was a bit much.

Too hot to fish let alone bore them out in a bivvy - occaisional 6pm forays for a bit of evening floater fishing / margin stalking - staying away from rivers at the moment as the WAvon fish are all rightly in hiding which is where they should remain until rain!

Facebook every day ,"Real Trent Anglers "showing pictures of Barbel they have caught
During this very hot Period ,some big fish ,but did they survive ???☹️

Back