• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spare Spools and Their Absence.

Bob Gill

Administrator
Staff member
Guess the days of getting spare spools provided with the reel are long gone. Used to get one and sometimes two with a new reel but this went years ago.
Shame.

IMG_2185 crop 1000.jpg

Recently found new but old treasure.

There are still some reels that come with at least one spare spool. However, they are getting increasingly thin on the ground. From the conversations I've had with match and general coarse anglers, it seems that quite a number of them don't actually want a spare spool, they simply don't use them. They often buy a reel for use on a specific rod, for a particular method and sometimes even for a specific venue. These set ups get made up, disappear into a ready rod bag and never get fully disassembled.

In a similar vein, my local tackle shop, which mostly caters for the match and general coarse anglers, has a draw full of brand new rod sleeves that buyers didn't even want when they bought a shiny new rod.

Daiwa are still generous with spools but shimano tend to supply them as extras.
Both my castizms, TDX, and BG came with spare spools.
Although you probably will spend a lump more on a daiwa mind

Was looking for a spare spool for some okumas I have on my pike rods …. The spare spool is £26.99 I can buy the bloody reel for £50

As Chris has stated, many anglers don't have a need for a spare spool. They make up the rod with a standard set up and store away in a 'rod sleeve'. It also helps ensure the regular change of reel line. I don't miss not having a spare spool. Some reels of mine have not even had line loaded onto them. I have a whole heap of spare spools. Some from expensive big pit reels. I must get around to selling them as I'm trying to declutter my life.

I'm still old school, and set my match rods up on the bank. Only my method and pellet waggler rods are left made up, and they only get used once or twice a year. They have TDMs on them.

All my match reels and my three 5010 baitrunners use the same spools. I've got 17 spools altogether, ranging from 2.1lb Bayer to 12lb GR60, and swap and change as required. I'd like newer reels, but the cost to change would be extortionate

So much hate for Okumas :p

My Aventa Baitfeeders came with spare spools, proper full featured Alu ones too not that Graphite rubbish.

Amazingly good reels infact.

Back