• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Member - West Wales

David Rice

Hi...

Looking to start up barbel fishing again as my son is desperate to go fishing on the river. I grew up fishing the Kennet (R&DAA etc) and on the Thames but now live in West Wales. Love all types fishing from fly to drop shot.

Planning to try out the Wye and Severn but not sure where to start. Any advice on which venues to try to break me in slowly will be gratefully appreciated!

Hopefully will bump into a few members of the bank.

David

I'm sorry I can't help you with the Wye or the Severn David, but welcome to the forum.

Hi...

Looking to start up barbel fishing again as my son is desperate to go fishing on the river. I grew up fishing the Kennet (R&DAA etc) and on the Thames but now live in West Wales. Love all types fishing from fly to drop shot.

Planning to try out the Wye and Severn but not sure where to start. Any advice on which venues to try to break me in slowly will be gratefully appreciated!

Hopefully will bump into a few members of the bank.

David
Welcome David.
As a 40 year Kennet etc guy and now near Ross on Wye I'll be glad to help. After today. Wife's Birthday. BUSY!!

Hi David, happy to help too, where are you based and how far are you prepared to travel ?
Hi Cliff,

Probably Hereford area is probably as far North as we can easily go. We are near Carmarthen so about a 2hr drive. But we don't mind a bit of camping if there are good sites nearby.

Looks like we will be waiting until September now before we start trying a few stretches. Been looking at quite a few Wye and Usk stretches but some seem quite pricey for two people - especially when one of us is only 10!

David

Hi David, as far as im aware, The fishing is free at Dale End Park, at Ironbridge on the River Severn . Or it was the last time i fished there. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome David :)

OK...update on our first trip to the Wye. We are planning to go Hereford way later next week, booked a day ticket on the Wye & Usk, then will look at the Birmingham stretch as well as a few others while camping. The lad can't wait!

Thank you to those who have given me useful info.

Back