• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Harrison blank identification help please…

Rod Foster

Afternoon all, I’m looking for someone to id a Harrison blank that I bought a good few years ago - I believe it’s a ‘stepped up float’ blank which I eventually had built by Bob Morris Rods.
12’, 3 piece, grey unground finish, full cork with Fuji dps fitting. TC-wise I’d say it’s between 1.25 & 1.4lbs.
Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 82238340-78B8-4F67-A29D-C71BAC5CA747.jpeg
    82238340-78B8-4F67-A29D-C71BAC5CA747.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 857DED8E-1A5E-44D5-9B5F-F9B56C13A9E0.jpeg
    857DED8E-1A5E-44D5-9B5F-F9B56C13A9E0.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 5B22F112-8DCB-449D-996A-5BEE9DDD03C3.jpeg
    5B22F112-8DCB-449D-996A-5BEE9DDD03C3.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 7541E9B8-E3F9-4027-B72A-433D5C8C8556.jpeg
    7541E9B8-E3F9-4027-B72A-433D5C8C8556.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 8AE65729-4274-4646-8513-C1BFFBBB831D.jpeg
    8AE65729-4274-4646-8513-C1BFFBBB831D.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 159
Could it be an interceptor specimen float?

They were just over 12ft and built as a 3 piece stepped up float. It doesn’t look to be rung up like you’d expect a GTI to be

Could it be an interceptor specimen float?

They were just over 12ft and built as a 3 piece stepped up float. It doesn’t look to be rung up like you’d expect a GTI to be
I thought they were 2 piece Richard?
I could be wrong on the TC, I’ve never used it, only put it together in the garden, but it seems considerably more forgiving than my other Harrisons which are 1.75lbs TC.

Definitely not rung the way I'd expect to see a GTi, GTi SU, or even 2xSU rung. Looks more like Avon rod style ringing and spacing.

I thought they were 2 piece Richard?
I could be wrong on the TC, I’ve never used it, only put it together in the garden, but it seems considerably more forgiving than my other Harrisons which are 1.75lbs TC.
I will have to check as interceptor blanks can be both 2 and 3 piece. I think the specimen float interceptor is definitely 3 piece

Definitely not rung the way I'd expect to see a GTi, GTi SU, or even 2xSU rung. Looks more like Avon rod style ringing and spacing.
I left the ringing to
I will have to check as interceptor blanks can be both 2 and 3 piece. I think the specimen float interceptor is definitely 3 piece
I know they made a 12’9” three piece, this is exactly 12’ in length. Unfortunately I have the memory of a goldfish & I bought the blank at least 15 years ago, & probably longer!

It looks a lot like the 12' 1.5lb 3-piece Tryptych blank, also known in Ireland as 'The Killing Stick' where it is very popular as a shrimping rod for salmon.

I had a Tryptych for a while, nice blank. Basically a 12' 3 piece version of the 11' avon. I thought the stated 1.5 TC was overstated, more closer to 1.25lb. Very through-actioned.

12’9 3x
It looks a lot like the 12' 1.5lb 3-piece Tryptych blank, also known in Ireland as 'The Killing Stick' where it is very popular as a shrimping rod for salmon.

I had a Tryptych for a while, nice blank. Basically a 12' 3 piece version of the 11' avon. I thought the stated 1.5 TC was overstated, more closer to 1.25lb. Very through-actioned.
That describes it very well Joe 👍🏼

Looking at the interweb & you’ve cracked it Joe, I’m 100% sure it’s a Tryptych, thanks for that.
Now to decide what to do with it…

Have Harrison rods ever been faked?

The reason I ask is that I have a 11' 'Avon' 1lb 6oz which I'm not entirely convinced is right?

The decals look cheap and I was also told that a feature of Harrison two piece blanks is that the tip section is always a little shorter when packed away to prevent damage to the top section?

Any thoughts 🧐

The reason I ask is that I have a 11' 'Avon' 1lb 6oz which I'm not entirely convinced is right?

The decals look cheap and I was also told that a feature of Harrison two piece blanks is that the tip section is always a little shorter when packed away to prevent damage to the top section?

Any thoughts 🧐
Cork placed inside the male end of the spigot is a decent way to tell also as far as I know the male joints on all Harrison rods blend into the blanks they are not stepped Ferrell joints
My Harrison tip sections appear to be around the same length as the butts

Any thoughts 🧐
I think a fake Harrison would get found out fairly quickly…whether in the hand or on the bank…the decals on the older ones did always look a bit ‘meh’ in my opinion.

Cork placed inside the male end of the spigot is a decent way to tell also as far as I know the male joints on all Harrison rods blend into the blanks they are not stepped Ferrell joints
Just checked, has a very well fitted piece of cork in the male joint.
Maybe the decals are just not as nice as the older ones on my 'Avon Angling' 1.5 TC pair which I bought several years ago?

Top sections on those are shorter than butt sections as described in my earlier post.

I’ve got 5 Harrisons & I think the sections are near enough identical in length…not that I’ve actually measured them!

Any thoughts 🧐

I bought a “Harrison 12’ Barbel 2lb t/c” that was sold second hand as a custom build Torrix. Bob and few others on here who’d know said it didn’t look like a Torrix. I sent some photos to Harrison who said it would have to have been a special blank for a custom build and they didn’t recall ever making a blank like it

It has a black plastic plug in the male end of the join and the top section doesn’t fit my 12’ 1.75tc Torrix which I think it should

It might be worth sending them some photos if you’re still not sure and want to be

I've seen some custom build rods for sale on ebay that I've suspected were a bit iffy.

Not just 'harrisons' but also on supposed sportex and freespirit blanks..there is one particular seller on ebay who shall remain nameless who seems to sell sets of custom builds that often don't look right to my eye...but as I haven't actually seen them I can't verify my suspicions.

I've seen some custom build rods for sale on ebay that I've suspected were a bit iffy.

Not just 'harrisons' but also on supposed sportex and freespirit blanks..there is one particular seller on ebay who shall remain nameless who seems to sell sets of custom builds that often don't look right to my eye...but as I haven't actually seen them I can't verify my suspicions.
A good reason to avoid buying expensive rods on fleabay tbh, especially without actually seeing them.

Back