• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rolling meat rod

OP - If you haven’t already, try and get to read the Tref West book - Barbel - a lifetimes addiction
Loads of tips and advice on rolling meat
My pal took several tuition days from Tref years ago and dedicated a whole season to just rolling meat and struggled initially but as with most things practice makes perfect and he mastered it and bagged up.Worth the effort as it will outfish most methods.
Balance of the bait is critical and they use mono which acts as a ‘sail ‘in the flow meaning the bait can run parallel to the bank and doesn’t get dragged across the flow
Great for getting the bait places you just would get with normal methods
Good luck

I don't think Tref ever used a 'pin though, did he? As Terry suggested, braid's better with 'pin (particularly the side-casting Rolling Pin).

I'm planning to fish this method a lot more this coming season. Not really used it since the glory days on the Kennet back in the 90's. Had one go on the Loddon so far this season and found my 11 foot 1.5tc Free Spirit perfect for the job.
Interesting what some are saying about the line should be behind the bait. I've always found by creating a bow in the line you can use the line to 'trot' the bait in a straight line, mono definitely helps with this.

Steve

I don't think Tref ever used a 'pin though, did he? As Terry suggested, braid's better with 'pin (particularly the side-casting Rolling Pin).
No I don’t think he did Richard
But the principal of using the bow in the line to help trundle the bait along is sound
I’ve seen it used to great effect- very skilful way of catching when static baits aren’t doing it
Personally I’ve struggled and tend to use a speci waggler to try and fish in a similar way

No I don’t think he did Richard
But the principal of using the bow in the line to help trundle the bait along is sound
I’ve seen it used to great effect- very skilful way of catching when static baits aren’t doing it
Personally I’ve struggled and tend to use a speci waggler to try and fish in a similar way
I'd keep at it @Paul Richardson. I very rarely just trundle meat, almost invariably I'll fish with a speci-waggler and I trundle, turn and turn about (usually ~15mins via each method). Doing this I can never remember the waggler rod out-fishing the trundling rod for catching barbel. I'll often catch more (and smaller) chub via the waggler, but always catch more barbel via the 'trundler'. Maybe bait size plays a part in this equation.

Back