• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

8mm thread to 3/8 bsf adapter for landing net

Knock up
It would cost more than the pole to have a one off manually turned.
I appreciate that, but if you 'know' someone or know someone who knows someone, then its something most of the guys I've worked with could make easily in in their lunchtimes and would happily do so to help someone out. Maybe I've just been lucky with the people I know ?
I've made them in the past, for friends and I'm no machinist.
Drilling and tapping the pole out, isn't something most non-engineers I know would feel comfortable doing.

I appreciate that, but if you 'know' someone or know someone who knows someone, then its something most of the guys I've worked with could make easily in in their lunchtimes and would happily do so to help someone out. Maybe I've just been lucky with the people I know ?
I've made them in the past, for friends and I'm no machinist.
Drilling and tapping the pole out, isn't something most non-engineers I know would feel comfortable doing.
100% I agree, I was goin to attempt it untill my friend who fixes combine harvester's for a living told me to bring it with me next time I fish the trent.. an offer I cant refuse. I will surely mention to him about the thickness of the brass insert to make sure there's enough meat left on the bone.. thanks for all the input guys

100% I agree, I was goin to attempt it untill my friend who fixes combine harvester's for a living told me to bring it with me next time I fish the trent.. an offer I cant refuse. I will surely mention to him about the thickness of the brass insert to make sure there's enough meat left on the bone.. thanks for all the input guys
Just was presuing the forum, first time in a while and saw your post, sorry for the late attempt at being helpful Warren. I actually had my adaptors made by Ron Chant and I do have a set of over the counter adaptors that a friend sent me which will work fine as he is currently using them.... However my mum (bless her) will not allow me to open said package to confirm that due to my friend having caught covid (please don't ask lol) . The package has been in "quarantine" for over a month and still no sign of it being handed over to me!

Warren, I also bought the landing net pole upon watching Mark's video on youtube (pole is great btw) and had the same issue with sourcing an adaptor. My solution was fairly straightforward. All my nets and pole have large quick release prologic landing net connectors. I simple filed off the 3/8 bsf male thread (aluminium so really easy) on one of them so you end up with approximately a 8mm diameter piece and ran an M8 die down it. It took less than ten minutes. I little bit of oil or similar helps when using the die for a one off. I now have a quick release adaptor on the landing net pole. You can get an M8 die and die stock for less than a tenner online.

Revisiting this thread as I'm in the same position, looking for an adaptor. There are 8mm to 10mm adaptors online, would this fit a standard net, which is around 9.5mm?
I can't find anything online that works and don't have the skills to do myself.

Thanks in advance!

Revisiting this thread as I'm in the same position, looking for an adaptor. There are 8mm to 10mm adaptors online, would this fit a standard net, which is around 9.5mm?

Thanks in advance!
8-10mm what Adam. Are you referring to metric threads?

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. The thread for the Chinese landing net pole is 8mm - the standard thread for UK nets etc is 3/8 inch. I can't find any adaptors that go from 8mm male to 3/8 female but have seen some that are 8mm male to 10mm female. The question is whether this will accommodate a standard UK landing net at approx 9.5mm?

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. The thread for the Chinese landing net pole is 8mm - the standard thread for UK nets etc is 3/8 inch. I can't find any adaptors that go from 8mm male to 3/8 female but have seen some that are 8mm male to 10mm female. The question is whether this will accommodate a standard UK landing net at approx 9.5mm?
No it won’t.
The outside diameter has very little to do with whether a thread will work or not.
Metric m10 threads have completely different relief angles, pitches and numbers of threads per inch to imperial 3/8bsf threads.
You won’t even get half a turn before it locks up.

Thanks in advance!
Tapping a thread is as easy as it comes, if you can tie a hair rig etc ...:)

Tapping a thread is as easy as it comes, if you can tie a hair rig etc ...:)
I agree entirely. I even put a guide up and a picture of a £4 tap for sale. It’s the way we learn to do stuff.

I was absolutely sh##ing bricks the first time I attempted to strip and rebuild a modern fishing reel full of bloody bearings and springs etc.

It’s just patience and logical step by step stuff.

I agree entirely. I even put a guide up and a picture of a £4 tap for sale. It’s the way we learn to do stuff.

I was absolutely sh##ing bricks the first time I attempted to strip and rebuild a modern fishing reel full of bloody bearings and springs etc.

It’s just patience and logical step by step stuff.
The thing is Rich, that doesn’t come comfortably or naturally to a lot of people……..
Engineers are a different breed. Even then some of us are naturally cautious, some have a very ‘gung ho’ attitude to things (believe me I’ve worked with both).
Putting some of the best ‘hands on’ engineers I’ve met in front of a PC is like putting a rabbit in the headlights……..it’s very much horses for courses.
So I get the trepidation for those not in the know !?
Your tutorial was spot on, but even then not everyone has the nerve to step into the unknown.
To you and I tapping is second nature, to others producing a spreadsheet with a pivot table etc is 2nd nature, we’re all different.
My job in engineering requires a skill set across both sides of the bench and desk and even after 35 years, I’d still have trepidation about doing something which I’m unfamiliar with.
Not a pop or a criticism, just an alternative view from the outside.

The thing is Rich, that doesn’t come comfortably or naturally to a lot of people……..
Engineers are a different breed. Even then some of us are naturally cautious, some have a very ‘gung ho’ attitude to things (believe me I’ve worked with both).
Putting some of the best ‘hands on’ engineers I’ve met in front of a PC is like putting a rabbit in the headlights……..it’s very much horses for courses.
So I get the trepidation for those not in the know !?
Your tutorial was spot on, but even then not everyone has the nerve to step into the unknown.
To you and I tapping is second nature, to others producing a spreadsheet with a pivot table etc is 2nd nature, we’re all different.
My job in engineering requires a skill set across both sides of the bench and desk and even after 35 years, I’d still have trepidation about doing something which I’m unfamiliar with.
Not a pop or a criticism, just an alternative view from the outside.
I absolutely respect the different point of view but I’m very much a believer in stepping out side of comfort zones to improve one’s self ability.
The only difference between myself and say someone who’s never had a go at the task before is experience.
You’ve gotta start somewhere and running a tap down a hole in soft metal really is a starting point.
I’m not about to write a guide on how to weld a 6G pipe to AsmeIX standard because as you’ll know there is a number of stepping stones to get there.
There’s a reason we have spare wheels in the boots of our cars and for the most of us physically able folk, it’s not there for us to call out the AA.

Back