• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice???

Iā€™ve been using the Korum Grappler last few months in size 12/14 fishing the feeder for both Tench and Barbel, have been impressed so farā€¦great hookholds, donā€™t blunt easily and good price. Landed a low 20 carp on a size 14 so they do stand up to larger fish.
A1822B70-CC15-4FDE-9A98-50E5E08C58E6.png
Used the Nash floater claw last winter for Chub, great design for fishing big lumps of paste IMO

Apparently this is the upgraded and new Fox SSBP:

Wide Gape Beaked
One of many good things about the original arma point range was they did them in size 9 and 10. Shame they dropped those sizes.

The SSSP's were my go to hook for when conditions were tough, I'm sure straight point hooks prick more fish and turn more bites into runs, just a shame they don't last long!

One of many good things about the original arma point range was they did them in size 9 and 10. Shame they dropped those sizes.

The SSSP's were my go to hook for when conditions were tough, I'm sure straight point hooks prick more fish and turn more bites into runs, just a shame they don't last long!
During the last few of the 'glory years' of the Teme I used SSBP exclusively, but never found a need to use them on the Severn where you could allow a fish to 'run'. On the Teme they needed to be stopped! The SSBP was (and is, I've got some of my original stock ;)...and they can still be purchased from eastern Europe for Ā£20+ for 10) a small hook for a #10 IMO, but SO strong. Totally agree on the #9 thing Joe, often* a very useful size for barbel.
* I think this 'size' thing is a nonsense with a '10' from one supplier looking one or two sizes larger than a '10' from elsewhere. The size of Bank Tackle's hooks threw me... they were much bigger than I expected.

During the last few of the 'glory years' of the Teme I used SSBP exclusively, but never found a need to use them on the Severn where you could allow a fish to 'run'. On the Teme they needed to be stopped! The SSBP was (and is, I've got some of my original stock ;)...and they can still be purchased from eastern Europe for Ā£20+ for 10) a small hook for a #10 IMO, but SO strong. Totally agree on the #9 thing Joe, often* a very useful size for barbel.
* I think this 'size' thing is a nonsense with a '10' from one supplier looking one or two sizes larger than a '10' from elsewhere. The size of Bank Tackle's hooks threw me... they were much bigger than I expected.
Yes I have no idea how manufacturers size their hooks?! I also have some 'size 10' Bank Tackle hooks which are superfluous to my requirements - more like a size 8 in armapoint terms!

Iā€™ve been using the Korum Grappler last few months in size 12/14 fishing the feeder for both Tench and Barbel, have been impressed so farā€¦great hookholds, donā€™t blunt easily and good price. Landed a low 20 carp on a size 14 so they do stand up to larger fish.
View attachment 20035
Used the Nash floater claw last winter for Chub, great design for fishing big lumps of paste IMO
Another vote for the Grapplers - I've landed a couple of tench recently on them that would certainly have been lost on the barbless patterns I've used until recently. Both times, I couldn't stop the fish reaching bed of lilies, but the old trick of slackening off and hoping they'd swim free worked a treat. Hook holds still solid when the fish were landed.

Only use korum s5, managed to get enough to see me out, tried various hooks as i was learning , had a fair few pulled out of shape on the dove, including a few mentioned in this post, but never had a problem with the s5, why they stopped making them beggars belief, they hold on even when i've locked my hand over the reel to stop one getting to a snag, had all my big fish on these hooks, ( i' ll put a spare pack in when i see you later in the year rich p, see what you think), size 10s,12s
Regards
Jim,
A heads upā€¦Mal Storey have some available in 10ā€™s and 12ā€™s when I searched on eBay this morning.

I too can vouch for banktackle hooks in a size 10 , once there in there in !
this was no PB haha

Attachments

• 53A283C6-B282-41A4-9BDA-64326D2C1A7A.jpeg
    53A283C6-B282-41A4-9BDA-64326D2C1A7A.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 101
Back