• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

8mm thread to 3/8 bsf adapter for landing net

Warren Mcquillan

Can anyone link me up to buy an adapter that will change my newly bought telescopic landing net handle from China so it accepts the usual UK size net heads.. 3/8 bsf, I bought one from amazon but it appears 10mm is different to 3/8 bsf
20220726_214417.jpg
20220726_214403.jpg

Is this the landing net Mark Edwin uses? I am waiting for mine as well. And I also bought a 8mm to 10mm adaptor…although I do have a 8mm net, but it is too small for barbel…

M10 is a completely different thread with a pitch of 1.5mm it’s way too coarse. you need a 3/8 bsf 20TPI. I doubt you’ll find an adapter.

The good thing is an m8 thread is cut from a 6.8mm hole and a 3/8bsf thread is cut from an 8mm hole (there or there abouts)
So drill it out 8mm and cut a new thread 👍🏻

Last edited:
View attachment 20162M8 course metric nut.
View attachment 20163
Straight in with an 8mm bit View attachment 20164should completely remove the threads
View attachment 20165Number 1 tap straight through and job done. View attachment 20166View attachment 20167

As your only cutting brass, a used cheap tool steel tap is gonna be fine. Like so…View attachment 20168
Right... I,ll have a go at getting my head round that.. first thing I need is a vice 😅, u look all set up in a workshop there Richard, so there won't be anywhere I can just buy an adapter by sound of it

Right... I,ll have a go at getting my head round that.. first thing I need is a vice 😅, u look all set up in a workshop there Richard, so there won't be anywhere I can just buy an adapter by sound of it
You only need a vice if your cutting a tiny nut.
You’ll be able to hold the pole while you drill and tap it. It’s a soft brass thread so should be easy. (Disclaimer… I am not responsible if you balls it up 🤣)

It’s just about taking your time Bill. There is absolutely nothing spectacular about what I’ve shown there. 👍🏻
Glad you’ve got confidence in me Rich. I’m really king of the cock ups….my family will vouch 🤣🤣🤣

In the first picture the threaded section looks like a brass insert. Would there still be enough “meat” left after drilling out and tapping the 3/8”thread?

In the first picture the threaded section looks like a brass insert. Would there still be enough “meat” left after drilling out and tapping the 3/8”thread?
i did think about that but it looks ok
You are opening up the hole by 1.2mm on the diameter. There’s a chunk more than 0.6mm of wall there so it should be ok but it’s worth checking definitely.

My fear would be the heat of drilling effect
If that insert is just glued in or something daft and the drilling was to pull it out.

You never really know how something like that is going to go but there’s ways around it if the guy doing the job takes his time and care.

I know plenty of people that could make one and I could of done it easily when I had my lathe but I don’t know anyone that is prepared to start cutting threads and re clocking parts without at least 30-40 quid being on the cards.

Back