• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If you....

Yeah I was told similar too but instead of the material I was told it was to do with spool depth 🤷🏻
God knows what it is. I’ll have to wait till someone buys one then offer them a complimentary free service so I can play 😉
Both my GS 750 and 850 have anodised alluminium spools which unless they have been replaced, which I doubt, means that GS doesn’t relate to the spool material.

Attachments

• 99449FE6-9EAF-4F16-9669-6C30F2B5C702.jpeg
    99449FE6-9EAF-4F16-9669-6C30F2B5C702.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DD9100CD-72F2-4ED3-88B6-48985FE37E87.jpeg
    DD9100CD-72F2-4ED3-88B6-48985FE37E87.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
🙂I'm a big bait adherent Paul. The Chimera 3 would be in bits with the size of baits that I used to use.
Me too... but if only 1 rod , I know it would handle any barbel or chub and almost certainly any pike I'm likely to catch on smelt, sardines, lamprey etc
My BB350s struggle with some of the baits I use on big waters. Time for the bait boat :)

Yeah I was told similar too but instead of the material I was told it was to do with spool depth 🤷🏻
God knows what it is. I’ll have to wait till someone buys one then offer them a complimentary free service so I can play 😉
It is related to the spool, but apparently it is reference to the spool design.

SS = Skirted Spool.
GS = Original Gold Spool
DS = Deep Spool

This is all my research has found so far lol

1658821607207.png

Last edited:
Me too... but if only 1 rod , I know it would handle any barbel or chub and almost certainly any pike I'm likely to catch on smelt, sardines, lamprey etc
My BB350s struggle with some of the baits I use on big waters. Time for the bait boat :)
I agree Paul the C3 is a good all round tool for catching most species at the mod to high range size. Even huge carp.

Well last night trolling through the local Facebook for sale, I came across a mint JW medium 11 ft quiver rod for sale, and the pics show it as mint c/w with the sliding reel fixings, all cork handle and sharp graphics, at £25 I just had to buy . I seemed to recall one was sold on here some time ago, does anyone own one of these?
I believe G.E had one ?

Well last night trolling through the local Facebook for sale, I came across a mint JW medium 11 ft quiver rod for sale, and the pics show it as mint c/w with the sliding reel fixings, all cork handle and sharp graphics, at £25 I just had to buy . I seemed to recall one was sold on here some time ago, does anyone own one of these?
I believe G.E had one ?
What a bargain Neil.

I believe G.E had one ?
I think I saw it as well. Unfortunately, not for delivery, otherwise I may buy it as well. But, I bought a normark avenger 13 ft rod for 90 last night, I know I don't need it, but always want to try it.

I think I saw it as well. Unfortunately, not for delivery, otherwise I may buy it as well. But, I bought a normark avenger 13 ft rod for 90 last night, I know I don't need it, but always want to try it.
Don't "need' the Wilson really, but what's one more rod eh? Normark have a huge following, money in the bank, if you ever sell, which of course you won't 😁

I call it investment, same as my centrepin. 😆 I need to sell them before I die, so my wife wont sell them for the price I told her.
They’re not that daft
Obliged to have a peck at us to assert control but they’d much rather have us buy something that keeps us out of mischief ( more or less) than spend it in the pub or at the bookies
That’s what I tell myself but married 31 years and was an angler way before I was a husband
2md hand good kit is an investment, shoes and curtains aren’t in my book but life’s a compromise

Luck day, saw a good condition ss850 on greedy bay today for a reasonable price, put the trigger immediately. They are do pop up from time to time.
Remember it’s a 30 plus year old reel that’s probably never seen a service so as soon as you get it I’d suggest you give it some long overdue tlc.
If you need any pointers let me know.

late to the discussion....... I would chose the Harrison 11ft 1.4lb Avons (pair) and if really quick, would also grab the 1.75 Torrex. And as the reels are on them, the two Dave Swallows and Rapidex

Picked up the JW, medium quiver rod yesterday and it was as described as mint. But this rod is, although several years old has escaped my attention. It is 11.6 length, full cork, sliding reel fittings, and most importantly has a spliced glass quiver in the single top section. There has been many models of the Avons etc but I can't find any detail on this rod, anyone?

Picked up the JW, medium quiver rod yesterday and it was as described as mint. But this rod is, although several years old has escaped my attention. It is 11.6 length, full cork, sliding reel fittings, and most importantly has a spliced glass quiver in the single top section. There has been many models of the Avons etc but I can't find any detail on this rod, anyone?
Put some pics up Neil. I’m intrigued.

I call it investment, same as my centrepin. 😆 I need to sell them before I die, so my wife wont sell them for the price I told her.
Turns out this is a bad investment, rod arrived this morning, I found the tip is actually broken and repaired, so it is about 1 inch short than other sections…

Back