• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bank tramp or tackle tart?

Shimano reel
Cheers for that Richard..
I may be ocd about my gear, but so far as brands, makers, models of reels, rods, etc etc,etc I am definately a tramp.
I have nil interest in the make of a reel, especially a modern fixed spool, or carbon rod, seat, brolly , in fact any tackle item.
So long as whatever it is does its job I am happy. I have quite a few carbon rods that I use for specific venues or conditions. They were purchased for what they do not the name or brand, same with reels.
Seems strange I suppose, but all my cane gear and vintage reels are the same. I love using old tackle but again contrary to most vintage cane users I have nil interest in collecting or using a hallowed ā€œMk 1Vā€ or Aspindale . I love to make any old rod or reel serviceable . I own Mk 1V Avons and Carp Avons plus a lot of other well known marques, but they have all come to me as partial or total wrecks and I have rebuilt them.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

Dave

I'm a perfectionist at work (through necessity) but angling certainly not when it comes to cleaning gear or matching stuff up. I've always considered my dozen or so Shimano reels bombproof and they're lucky to get the mud wiped off them once a year. I am though organised, my fishing jacket has about a dozen pockets and I can immediately put my hands on anything I need even in the dark, same as my fishing bag.

I prefer to minimise the mess, I have a 3ft square of tarpaulin (olive green of course :D) which I place on the ground beside my chair and my bag goes on this. There a bonus with this too, at the end of a late session (especially on the grassy banks of the Pats and the Loddon), there are lots of slugs underneath which can be flicked off before it is folded up, thus saving my tackle bag from slimy trails.

I have a chair cover made of the same tarpaulin for when chair is folded, so it stops the chair getting wet before setting up, and this is also used to place any item of clothing I don't want to put on the back of my chair.

If my bivvy gets packed away wet Iā€™ll get it out at home to dry out. If my brolly is soaking as I normally leave it in my car Iā€™ll get it out when I get back to stop my car getting soaked. As for rods and reels I tend not to let my reel get covered in mud and not that bothered bout my rods getting mud on them as it will come off when itā€™s dry. I think fishing gear is designed to be used and abused to an extent so as long as it doesnā€™t affect performance itā€™s all good.
To be fair I owned my last car 10 years and probably washed it 5 times so cleaning rods ainā€™t top of my priorities lol

Def Tart and OCD . . .don't clean tackle after every session but def do a once a month baby wipe clean up. Always hang up nets and unhookingmats after a session and ensure brollies / bivvies are dried out. Wash and re-proof waterproofs regularly.

Only things I do leave 'muddy' are luggage (which has to be the same brand of course) - this way when 'she that must be obeyed' enters the garage to remove the dog food from the bait freezer she cannot tell the difference between any new and old purchases as they 'all look the same' to her . . .

I am OCD close season
I spend most of it servicing reels, checking eyes on rods and replacing , changing line etc - doing all the piddly little jobs that bugged me when I was fishing
Once Iā€™m fishing it tends to go out of the window tbh
Exception being wet gear and dodgy line and mud in the winter
I am fastidious about changing line
Prefer gear to be respectable as it doesnā€™t take a lot of effort to wipe down rods and reels, clean twist locks , re-proof brollies etc
By doing this you spot damaged rings, handles that wonā€™t lock when you need to net a good fish at range and when the heavens open, you donā€™t get p**s wet through
Oh - If only the heavens would open šŸ™

Mixture of both.Always dry nets,brollies,bivies etc if wet but dont normally bother with rods,reels or banksticks.My one concession to O.C.D however is to make sure my bankstick is vertically aligned at 90 degrees as I look at it and if using 2 rods(very rare),they are also vertical,parallel,and the same height.Takes ages sometimes.Not bothered about reel handle alignment.Rods+reels wiped over in close season.

Back