• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prolonged heat

If that’s in reference to Richards recovery idea, as stated that’s a year round assistance idea not an excuse.
If it’s reference to modifying river channels, that’s to help life survive the changes of a warming world so there’s something left to fish for when the heat waves break.
That wasn't a reference to anyone on here. Although there is a video of a guy on the BS web site that is using a small holding tank with an aerating pump that doesn't look affective at all. I am sure what he is doing is with the best of intentions. Seems to me using an 'engineering solution' when resting in a net in the river would be the better option.

We have 38 Deg C where I live. A barbel contained in a small volume of water in these temperatures will die.

Wrt to the authorities widening river channels etc. I can't see them doing that when they don't have the will to sort out random sewage discharges.

I think the sensible majority see that it's not a good idea barbeling in the current conditions.

Last edited:
Easiest way to help is to ban fishing altogether,,, i would be carefull how far you take this thread,,,,
I wouldn’t agree with that mate. There’s never a harm in discussing other options between like minded people sharing the same past time.

There’s always a better way to do stuff. There’s a lot of worse ways to do stuff too. It’s good to chat about it though 👍🏻

That wasn't the point rich, my thought is we (all anglers/clubs) should have stopped all fishing, just for a few weeks, the temps will be back down soon, this thread wouldn't have started, instead ways are being thought up to help fish return, if any anti's read this thread all were doing is providing ammo to stop our fantastic pastime, wich is why i say be carefull what you write down for all to see,,, just my thoughts,,,
Regards

That wasn't the point rich, my thought is we (all anglers/clubs) should have stopped all fishing, just for a few weeks, the temps will be back down soon, this thread wouldn't have started, instead ways are being thought up to help fish return, if any anti's read this thread all were doing is providing ammo to stop our fantastic pastime, wich is why i say be carefull what you write down for all to see,,, just my thoughts,,,
Regards
I fully agree with that 100%.
All Clubs should of shut those rivers last week for at least 3 weeks

Regards
Oh and I also agree. There is no “work around” for it either. It’s simple really …. don’t fish. I wouldn’t even contemplate catching tench or carp in the weather we’ve experienced over the last 2-3 days and they can deal with it much better than barbel. Believe it or not I’ve even seen similar heated discussions around pike fishing too.
Imagine catching one of them in this climate. It doesn’t even bear thinking about

That’s how the thread sort of started jim….rich said he drove past the A1pits stretch of the trent today ….yes today the day temperatures hit 40 and it was bivvy city
Never know might get someone who was there posting photos of their rods saying look at me fishing in the hot temperatures

That’s how the thread sort of started jim….rich said he drove past the A1pits stretch of the trent today ….yes today the day temperatures hit 40 and it was bivvy city
Never know might get someone who was there posting photos of their rods saying look at me fishing in the hot temperatures
Smacks of desperation !!

Shame on those bone heads for fishing, and shame on those who run A1 Pits for not closing their stretch.

Can't say I'm too surprised about A1 Pits though, not after the way they butchered all the bankside vegetation a few years ago. And only a prize prat would drive around in a leopard skin painted Disco!

Last edited:
Shame on those bone heads for fishing, and shame on those who run A1 Pits for not closing their stretch.

Can't say I'm too surprised about A1 Pits though, not after the way they butchered all the bankside vegetation a few years ago. And only a prize prat would drive around in a leopard skin painted Disco!
I drove over it today and saw a few vehicles with tents and awnings.
They might not of been fishing but it was probably the case that they were.

What was funny about this post @Sam Lloyd
Genuine question 🤷🏻

Absolute over reaction to blanket shut rivers. Perhaps you could post some actual data and facts like I have and back up why they should shut? I’ve not seen a single DO result below the normal threshold yet, let alone any causes for concern.

A lot of parroting and virtue signalling going on at the moment. Can’t wait for the release of the Korda Barbel Choppa. Wonder how many Barbel you’ll be able to mince on a single charge 😂

Perhaps you could supply me with the do readings for the willow swim at elton on the nene then ..so I know wether it’s safe to fish or not seeing as you have all the data and facts

Perhaps you could supply me with the do readings for the willow swim at elton on the nene then ..so I know wether it’s safe to fish or not seeing as you have all the data and facts
Get your club to get a Polaris and check the water like mine has. I’ve even posted you up the tables to check against.

Get your club to get a Polaris and check the water like mine has. I’ve even posted you up the tables to check against.
Those tables will not tell you whether a 10lb barbel is going to go belly up after a 5 minute scrap in excessive water temperatures and that’s the only useful thing we need to know.

Numbers aside…. The evidence is shown very clearly with how your capture is responding to being caught.
I saw a 13lb fish caught by a friend 10 days ago and she was ok but certainly not fighting fit and took a little longer to recover than would usually sit easy with me. That was around 24°c air temperature, let’s assume water was around 18-20 maybe.
Now why do I need a chart to see what limits I can push it to when that was difficult enough for that fish to deal with.

Last edited:
So these checks with the Polaris are they done every hour … minute…day…week is a morning reading different to a night reading or a midday reading do I need the club secretary with the Polaris to sit with me to keep checking do reading differ from swim to swim ? Will the swim nearest the weir be different to the other swims ?

Sincerely hope all their rods become impossible to prize apart on the spigot and that they either break them or have to drive home with 12-13ft sticking out of the front window to advertise their general noddy behaviour!

Just wondered, was thinking about going fishing this weekend but thought I'd ask on here if it was ok?

Back