• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prolonged heat

Come on guys, lets get real, artificial oxygenators of any sort, wtf. if your even considering one of these contraptions as an excuse, then it is simply too hot to fish. Some peeps just looking for any excuse/idea to get out there. So Sad. :(
I never suggested it as an excuse. It was an idea for something to be used all season. I’m pretty sure we’ve all caught barbel at some point that have taken a worrying amount of time to recover. My thinking was if there was something on the market that could help it would something worth considering.

Perhaps all Barbel could be moved into stillwaters where the water can be aerated year round regardless of conditions?
Good idea.

And a wired switch in each peg so that the second a barbel is hooked, the angler can instantly alert a crash team of trained 'barbel recovery nurses' (Barbel Society approved naturally) who would be instantly be on hand with an array of oxygenating gizmos, recovery slings and special barbel massage techniques to return the fish back to full health before you can say "Heath Robinson".

I’m a big fan of the zany humour of Monty Python and Spike Milligan but this thread is becoming so bizarre that I am beginning to wonder if Ihave somehow wandered into an alternative universe. One things for sure,the hot weather is definitely to blame so why not just give it a rest lads, as this is becoming tiresome.

Dave

Come on guys, lets get real, artificial oxygenators of any sort, wtf. if your even considering one of these contraptions as an excuse, then it is simply too hot to fish. Some peeps just looking for any excuse/idea to get out there. So Sad. :(
I don’t think I could of made it any clearer Derek
Now I do not encourage the use of any device whatsoever as a reason to be fishing in the heat we are experiencing at the moment
Any item of tackle can be miss used to the point that it’s dangerous and only the man holding it can be held accountable for it.

Good idea.

And a wired switch in each peg so that the second a barbel is hooked, the angler can instantly alert a crash team of trained 'barbel recovery nurses' (Barbel Society approved naturally) who would be instantly be on hand with an array of oxygenating gizmos, recovery slings and special barbel massage techniques to return the fish back to full health before you can say "Heath Robinson".
Your obviously struggling to read the posts as well Joe.
normally your more constructive than throwing wise cracks to something that hasn’t been said or encouraged.

I’ll make it a little clearer if I can.
No one is encouraging ANY idea as an excuse to fish in such conditions ESPECIALLY ME!!!
Even if I had something to try out my plans of not to fish wouldn’t change until the water temperature reaches much safer levels.

You’ve got clear access to my catch returns mate by all means check em out.

On a side note ….., I don’t do Heath Robinson! That goes for everything I make.
I do things properly and if it isn’t exactly right it doesn’t leave the bench. I like the idea. It wasn’t mine but I like it as a potential recovery aid when it’s SAFE to fish.

Your obviously struggling to read the posts as well Joe.
normally your more constructive than throwing wise cracks to something that hasn’t been said or encouraged.

I’ll make it a little clearer if I can.
No one is encouraging ANY idea as an excuse to fish in such conditions ESPECIALLY ME!!!
Even if I had something to try out my plans of not to fish wouldn’t change until the water temperature reaches much safer levels.

You’ve got clear access to my catch returns mate by all means check em out.

On a side note ….., I don’t do Heath Robinson! That goes for everything I make.
I do things properly and if it isn’t exactly right it doesn’t leave the bench. I like the idea. It wasn’t mine but I like it as a potential recovery aid when it’s SAFE to fish.
lighten up Rich ffs

I never suggested it as an excuse. It was an idea for something to be used all season. I’m pretty sure we’ve all caught barbel at some point that have taken a worrying amount of time to recover. My thinking was if there was something on the market that could help it would something worth considering.
Falling on death ears Jon.

There doesn't need to be an 'engineering solution' for the potential problems by fishing for barbel during these conditions. Just common sense. No need to fish for barbel (or pike or grayling) in these conditions. There is always another day.

There doesn't need to be an 'engineering solution' for the potential problems by fishing for barbel during these conditions. Just common sense. No need to fish for barbel (or pike or grayling) in these conditions. There is always another day.
If that’s in reference to Richards recovery idea, as stated that’s a year round assistance idea not an excuse.
If it’s reference to modifying river channels, that’s to help life survive the changes of a warming world so there’s something left to fish for when the heat waves break.

Good idea.

Are we allowed to give a barbel mouth to mouth with the heightening rise in COVID cases again? Do we replace “Staying Alive” as the rhythm to use for compressions with Bob Nudd’s “Maggots in ya Catapult” ?

If that’s in reference to Richards recovery idea, as stated that’s a year round assistance idea not an excuse.
If it’s reference to modifying river channels, that’s to help life survive the changes of a warming world so there’s something left to fish for when the heat waves break.
It was Jon’s suggestion not mine. I just thought it was a good one.

Too hot for me too.And you’re right about it’s a good time for a recce.I’m walking the banks and finding lots of features,gravel bars,deeper holes etc.
My river is desperately low,and I don’t think anyone should be trying to catch barbel in just inches of warm water.Having said that,the barbel have gone into hiding,and I’m only seeing chub on my walks.View attachment 19990View attachment 19991
Clean gravels and sand riverbed. You don't see that in the Great Ouse anymore :(

Anyway I’m leaving it at that …. A potentially good idea.

If you take it any further @Jon Young ,pm me as I’d be interested to know what you come up with.
Honestly though. I would say it’s a non starter.
The idea is potentially sound but if it doesn’t grab the majority vote on a barbel anglers forum then it’s probably going nowhere.

Shame as 90% of the negative comments are based on it being miss used which wasn’t the idea at all.
Good luck

I’m ok with most stuff Joe. But Heath Robinson, bodge, thrown together, are terms that grate on me a bit mate if they could in anyway be used to describe something I might build.

Tell me it’s a shite idea and I’m more than ok with that. 👍🏻
Nobody was having a pop at your engineering skills Rich, just a bit of fun about a slightly OTT idea (imo). No harm meant 👍

Good idea.

Kiss of life?

Back