• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa castizm br 25a or 25qd

Those Tournament reels are something else, way too much money for me though. Although, if I was still on the match scene, I'd have to seriously consider them.

A Daiwa/Guru long distance feeder set up could cost you close to £1K.

I managed a 14ft slr rod and a castizm reel for under £450, early last year.
The free spirit rods are even more expensive!
I still haven't quite hit a 100 metres yet 😭. Technique I guess. Should use a window feeder too.

£450 for a 13' Aventus distance feeder rod and then your choice of reel. £385 for the Tournament feeder reel. Ouch!! Mind you, that pails into insignificance when you see the price of Daiwa's Tournament Basia carp reels. Them boys go to sleep with a lot of monies worth of kit outside.

I'm still using the old Amorphous Whisker 11/13 stillwaters and a Shimano supermatch RE. I'm lucky to get 50yds.

£450 for a 13' Aventus distance feeder rod and then your choice of reel. £385 for the Tournament feeder reel. Ouch!! Mind you, that pails into insignificance when you see the price of Daiwa's Tournament Basia carp reels. Them boys go to sleep with a lot of monies worth of kit outside.

I'm still using the old Amorphous Whisker 11/13 stillwaters and a Shimano supermatch RE. I'm lucky to get 50yds.
Still reckon a match anglers kit bill is bigger than the tartiest carper - £8k for a super stiff 16M pole; let alone all the other rods/reels/gear

s-l500.jpg

I bought one of these in the late 90's. Cost an arm and a leg and was worth more than my car at the time.

Yes Simon but at least they're alarmed.

I couldn't be a Carper or a match angler. Way too much kit and money.

At least with Barbel fishing I can just take my chair, rucksack and holdall. Nets and unhooking mat folded up in the chair.

Tartiest thing I would spend money on would be rods and reels.

That is tempting…

I managed to get two of these ( mentioned above) from a German tackle shop before the Brexit regs kicked in for about £75 each

Not used yet but bought to use on the tidal Thames and around Hamptonwhich is about 80 metres wide on these stretches; feel like a lot of reel for the money.

This is the tackle shop website - well worth keeping an eye on it

other then the Japan made ss-1000 & ss-850 reels the only other reel i feel as a absolute beauty of a clutch is the shimano 3500B I’ve owned and parted with many of these and there up there with the best of them IMO 👌
The 3500B is an absolute belting reel but I parted with mine shortly after buying simply because the weight of the reel belongs on heavier more powerful flood type rods but it lacked really good casting ability for it to be useful on such rods. I couldn’t hit the far bank of the tidal Trent at Sutton with them yet I could easily do it with other reels where the spool wasn’t so squashed down and I think the line lay helps too. Great reel it really is but it just never had a place in my armory.

The ss850 however definitely has a place.

That is tempting…

I managed to get two of these ( mentioned above) from a German tackle shop before the Brexit regs kicked in for about £75 each

Not used yet but bought to use on the tidal Thames and around Hamptonwhich is about 80 metres wide on these stretches; feel like a lot of reel for the money.

This is the tackle shop website - well worth keeping an eye on it

It's been relisted at £100.

The 3500B is an absolute belting reel but I parted with mine shortly after buying simply because the weight of the reel belongs on heavier more powerful flood type rods but it lacked really good casting ability for it to be useful on such rods. I couldn’t hit the far bank of the tidal Trent at Sutton with them yet I could easily do it with other reels where the spool wasn’t so squashed down and I think the line lay helps too. Great reel it really is but it just never had a place in my armory.

The ss850 however definitely has a place.

Agreed. My 4500Bs are on my flood rods for heavy work in the near margin to mid river, and occasionally make it on to my heavier river piking set up. SS2600's on my other 2 sets of barbel rods for the tidal Trent.

I got 2 Castizm Brs at a bargain price last spring. I only have my trusty Thunnus 8000s as a reel to compare. CTZMs seem a little lighter, not much, bigger spool, baitrunner as good as the thunnus, greater line recovery. Drag as good as the thunnus(factory carbon washers already fitted), I did fit carbon washers though, which will improve any reel. Line lay, well that's irrelevant to me as rarely cast over 50m tbh. Good winding power. Spare spool.
Minus's a slight knock, when the spool gets to the top of the stroke and then comes down, no biggy tbh. Bigger spool than I need tbh, obs meant for Carp fishing. Then again most barbel gear is bastardised carp gear anyway. I'd definitely say go and get a set, if they wanted some top gear as they are practically faultless. Big question, would I swap them for.....Say a shimmy Ci4, medium baitrunner? No.
Would I swap them for a Thunnus 8000? Yes. As these are imo still the best.....big river reel 🌂☔

I got 2 Castizm Brs at a bargain price last spring. I only have my trusty Thunnus 8000s as a reel to compare. CTZMs seem a little lighter, not much, bigger spool, baitrunner as good as the thunnus, greater line recovery. Drag as good as the thunnus(factory carbon washers already fitted), I did fit carbon washers though, which will improve any reel. Line lay, well that's irrelevant to me as rarely cast over 50m tbh. Good winding power. Spare spool.
Minus's a slight knock, when the spool gets to the top of the stroke and then comes down, no biggy tbh. Bigger spool than I need tbh, obs meant for Carp fishing. Then again most barbel gear is bastardised carp gear anyway. I'd definitely say go and get a set, if they wanted some top gear as they are practically faultless. Big question, would I swap them for.....Say a shimmy Ci4, medium baitrunner? No.
Would I swap them for a Thunnus 8000? Yes. As these are imo still the best.....big river reel 🌂☔
To 99% of people it would go unnoticed but the thunnus clutch is slightly better than the castizm.

It’s bearing assisted on the thunnus which in my opinion is the smoothest possible clutch design you can have. My daiwa TDX is the same also with a bearing assist clutch. Can’t be beaten for response and smoothness and spool stability too.

Overall I actually prefer the castizm slightly but certainly not by a lot.
If the thunnus was driven by a worm shaft instead of that poxy square gear that you feel through the handle I would probably be struggling to pick a favorite

I own (but hardly use - twice in the last decade) two 3500b reels - they seem fairly small and light to me, Rich. Still awaiting delivery of the ss750i - and hoping it'll hold enough line for barbel fishing.

Back