• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Prolonged heat

Most of us don’t have the equipment to measure oxygen levels so why take the risk … just because you see barbel feeding normally in these conditions doesn’t mean they will be ok after being caught …be that england france or outer mongolia
So, if you have no idea of the dol and have no means of testing it, how can you come to the conclusion that it is too low to fish?

Oh Clive.
So the multiple instances of fish deaths that occurred during hot weather, especially on stillwaters was made up tripe?
The number of places that now have systems that increase the oxygen levels in the water have wasted their money?
They were conned?

In fact, if you bother to stick your head over the top of that molehill you will find lots of evidence regarding high temperatures and low oxygen levels being detrimental to fish. Lots of Scientific evidence.

I have noticed Clive that you NEVER accept you may be actually wrong sometimes.

Then it turns to abuse when it's pointed out.
Most of the arguments have been Clive inspired.

It's an individuals choice if they decide to fish for barbel or whatever during these conditions. Yours and others.
This year I simply won't until conditions mean the Barbel will be in good condition.

There are other fish options that are far more tolerant of the conditions.

Winds me up seeing small barbel 6/7/8/9 lb hoisted up for photos during this weather , exceptional fish then yes but do we really need to see so many small fish all over social media , inhook in net if you must go out in this extreme heat and let swim off once recovered ,
That winds me up too! It's as if these people on fb have to photograph ever single fish they catch even the small ones!! Just to prove to everyone they've caught!?

So, if you have no idea of the dol and have no means of testing it, how can you come to the conclusion that it is too low to fish?
No I don’t have no idea but I’m not prepared to gamble either I just use what is my perception of common sense….. and I’m not a catch at all cost merchant

If you want to fish for barbel in extreme temperatures and ARE prepared to gamble you crack on sunshine because that’s your perception of common sense

What water temperatures are being recorded around the country on your rivers that are helping to make the decision to not fish? Air temperature is, as in winter is not always in step. The D.Stour and H.Avon which run so close will be completely different at present. Saying its irresponsible to fish if the air temperature is over 30c is rather meaningless.

That said, water temperature is only one factor. Oxygen levels in two bodies of water of equal temperature could be vastly different. If I took two buckets of water, one still the other with an air stone the dissolved oxygen would be different. To the point that you can manipulate a bucket of waters pH by doing this. A polluted slow flowing body of water would be affected disproportionately to a clean one of a higher temperature.

What I’m getting at is that not every river is going to be the same and when a spate river in the midlands is not suitable to be fished a southern chalk stream may be completely different. I recall a big river I swam in, in southern France on a very hot trip, it was FREEZING because it was mostly ice melt from the mountains.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to infer that during periods of sustained high air temperatures that dissolved oxygen levels are likely to be low. Particularly when river levels across England are low.

Yes there are lots of factors and variables determine DOL, but high air temperature is undisputedly a major factor governing water temperature in shallow surface waters. Which in turn influences upon DOL levels. Anglers don't need to get any more technical than that, common sense is all that is required.

I would say so yes! Who is anyone on here to tell people that they cannot fish? Who is anyone on here to say that they should not picture their fish, particularly if same people infer that it is ok to picture something just a few ounces heavier! Personally I would happy to see all trophy shots banned!
Decide for yourself if you are happy to go and if some do not decide the same that's life!

I would like to see some evidence to support these 'accepted' statements on thermal shock and dissolved oxygen levels. Sport fishing is carried out in a lot hotter places than the UK. If you don't want to fish - fine. Nobody is making you. But to come on here preaching absolute tripe to gain the high moral ground isn't on.
are you for real ????
get a grip man ! your the one talking absolute tripe !!
you bleat on about watching a barbel feeding the other day in 35c WTF ? has that got to do with hooking it and having it exhaust itself in low dissolved oxygen levels ??
you really are sounding argumentative and making silly pointless statements that nobody has agreed with

No I don’t have no idea but I’m not prepared to gamble either I just use what is my perception of common sense….. and I’m not a catch at all cost merchant

If you want to fish for barbel in extreme temperatures and ARE prepared to gamble you crack on sunshine because that’s your perception of common sense
So, you make a decision based on ignorance. Fair enough. Your choice.

As I wrote earlier: my opinion is based on facts. Not theory.

are you for real ????
get a grip man ! your the one talking absolute tripe !!
you bleat on about watching a barbel feeding the other day in 35c WTF ? has that got to do with hooking it and having it exhaust itself in low dissolved oxygen levels ??
you really are sounding argumentative and making silly pointless statements that nobody has agreed with
I am still waiting for the evidence to support your opinions.

<removed>
If you took notice of everybody who has a bee in their bonnet about aspects of fishing we wouldn't be using barbed hooks, large hooks, pellets, boilies, bolt rigs, helicopter rigs and a load if other things.

It is up to the individual to make choices within the prevailing laws and rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
There used to be a bloke on here and on FM who posted under the name Nicepix.

Arguments all the time. Legendary ones on both sites. It was like a game to him. Especially with the celebrity Angler Paul Boote.

I wasn't that good either tbh. But hope I grew up.

Just saying.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to infer that during periods of sustained high air temperatures that dissolved oxygen levels are likely to be low. Particularly when river levels across England are low.

Yes there are lots of factors and variables determine DOL, but high air temperature is undisputedly a major factor governing water temperature in shallow surface waters. Which in turn influences upon DOL levels. Anglers don't need to get any more technical than that, common sense is all that is required.
Totally agree. What I was trying to point out is that there’s no magic number that means things are safe or unsafe, there are multiple factors at play. Care is always required.

Two readings taken on Monday, same stretch of water 100 yards apart (River Severn) The first a deeper slower section, the second below broken water.

117.5% saturation - 9.40 mg/l - 27.0c

110.8% saturation - 9.47mg/l - 23.3c

Make of that what you will. Personally for me the temp alone is enough of a reason not to fish but that is my choice.
;)

Back