• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rudd

Going to have a bash for a specimen Rudd tomorrow, would love a 2lber but anything over 1lb will be very pleasing.

Has anyone had much of a go for them yet and if so did you do any good?

Was up in London today & had a look in St James Park lake. There are some some huge Rudd in there - they must be 3lb. Bit difficult to fish mind...

John,

Just been invited to help catch/clear some tench from one of the carp society waters on the cotswold water park, it holds some specimen Rudd to over 3lbs, so i'll be hedging my bets on tactics to hopefully snatch one or two half decent rudd from the place, along with the tincas. :D

How did you get on.

Paul

Was up in London today & had a look in St James Park lake. There are some some huge Rudd in there - they must be 3lb. Bit difficult to fish mind...
Now I have this image of the Queen walking round the lake with her wellies and her Corgis, selling day-tickets, lol!

Chris,

Would love to be able to say yes mate, but it's a close friend who is on the cs committee. I will try and sound him out though. ;)

cheers

Paul

I was actually joking, mate. Sorry I missed your calls yesterday.

No worries Chris,

All joking aside, there are some very big tincas left in there, although i think Gary Newman and Simon Pomeroy have emptied most of the smaller fish out judging from reports. ;)

Will call again later.

Paul

Paul,
What are they going to do with the Tench? hopefully rehome them in another water owned by said CS? I was going to give that water a go too if its the same one as the AM piece by a well known angler lol

Brian

Last edited:
Brian,

There is a waiting list for members (bearing in mind it is a carp fishery) and it's over £500 p.a. Not sure what is happening to the tincas, but i will try to find out. I think the EA are relocating them.

Paul

No rudd for me last weekend, but saw a pic of a 3lb 5oz cracker caught by one of the members very recently. Awesome fish!:)

Had my first go at targeting Rudd a couple of days ago and managed one of 2.05. Am going to concentrate on them for the next few weeks when conditions are favourable, in the hope of getting closer to a 3. If anyone fancies joining me, let me know, I’m fishing the Peterborough area.

My waistline has reduced and I’ve managed a few beautiful wild rudd to boot. Still not bettered 2.05 though.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 18.32.10.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 18.32.10.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
2lb+ Rudd sounds like a big fish to me, well done you fellas.
About time Mr Rudd got some interest imo.

I believe rudd are the often overlooked species but are really something special once of size.
I fish a large lake that may hold big rudd, no one knows.
There are plenty of pesky small rudd and roach.

So I have never caught a big rudd and this has got me thinking.
Any suggestions as to how I would find out if any there and what would be best approach trying to catch one or two ?
What do you "Rudders" consider favouable conditions to be and best time of day ?
I have a few ideas but not a lot different from Mr Crabtree tbh !
Would you always surface fish with crust or fished below surface, mid water maybe ?
I imagine I would have to fish at a distance 9m (30 ft +) at this lake .
Fortunately I dont have to contend with carp taking any bread.

Thanks in advance for any info I will come back with feed back if I manage to have a go.

I don't believe I've ever fished a venue with any form for big rudd. I don't recall ever catching one much beyond a pound. The closest I've ever been to a decent rudd was watching a shoal of them on Horseshoe Lake over twenty years back. Sadly, circumstances meant that I never got to actually fish the venue.

I'd love it if I knew of a venue local to me that held rudd much over a pound. One fine day, perhaps, if I'm patient and manage to stay alive long enough!

I don't believe I've ever fished a venue with any form for big rudd. I don't recall ever catching one much beyond a pound. The closest I've ever been to a decent rudd was watching a shoal of them on Horseshoe Lake over twenty years back. Sadly, circumstances meant that I never got to actually fish the venue.

I'd love it if I knew of a venue local to me that held rudd much over a pound. One fine day, perhaps, if I'm patient and manage to stay alive long enough!
Horseshoe did hold some big rudd, but also loads of hybrids. The infamous David Mannell had rudd to over 4 from there.
Mates and I fished it quite a bit (as it is local) and had great fun float fishing on dawn early morning sessions in autumn. If you found the fish rolling you could have fantastic fishing. We had lots of 2+ roach, a few similar sized rudd and hybrids to 2.15. We tried winter feeder fishing but couldn't locate the fish.

These days the big roach and rudd seem to have gone, but its still a good tench fishery.

Many years ago I was fishing a big natural lake for pike and was told that it held big rudd. I fished it the folliwing summer and caught loads between 12oz and 1.08, with no sign of any big ones. A few decent tench to nearly 7lb kept me interested. One evening after work I had a bite just like all the others and was pleasantly surprised to see a huge rudd roll into the landing net....
On the scales it went 3lb exactly. So they did exist !

Over the next couple of years my pal and I caught hundreds more of the smaller ones and 7 more of the giants. He had a brace of 3's on opening morning one year and I bagged the biggest at 3.08. Amazing fish.

That was 40 years ago - so I doubt those fish still exist. I do know that most of the big rudd in my local Cotswold Water Park are gone. I could name a handful of local waters that have produced 3+ rudd in the past, but maybe only one today....At least there are still a few big roach to go at

Maggots under big wagglers. We used 'stickimag' etc so that we could catapult our loose feed further.

The other place was bread and corn as you couldn't buy maggots locally.

Back