• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa castizm br 25a or 25qd

Top top class !!!!!
Never used anything finer for my heavy water rods! Just ……. Flipping awesome!

I swapped out the brilliant 6000D’s because the castizm is lighter, smoother, more cranking power and miles better line lay.
Got them on here brand new for an absolute steal and love em.

Sounds like you like them Rich ...did you buy the br or qd reels
The BR. I wouldn’t have the QD Version despite the fact that the carp boys say it’s even better. I don’t get on with quick clutches that well and I hate bling so the qd wouldn’t appeal to me as good as they are.
I would still be using my D’s if they hadn’t come up at a price I couldn’t refuse and brand new.

I took a risk on them. I’d never used them before and just bought them.
I always wanted a pair a thunnus reels and I serviced a set recently and yes they are beautiful reels but I actually prefer the castizms now.

If the truth be told I’ve been a shimano man for years. Thought I’d never look at another brand as they’ve given me such excellent service. Then I cracked open afew old Japanese Daiwas and fell absolutely in love with the way they were put together.
Then I bought the ss850’s and the castizms then slowly but surely I’ve gone over to Daiwas. I treated myself to a TDX 3010 the other day for trotting. I nearly bought a stradic Ci4 quite cheap too but the Daiwa is just loads nicer.
Magsealed bearings I absolutely love they feel smoother too but the down side is I don’t want to take them apart because I don’t have the oil and don’t know much about maintenance on them ….. yet

I bought a pair of OKUMA TREX 7000 , they are superb,the line lay is brilliant,the QD is exactly as it says it is ,and works perfectly. Would be even better if they did a BR version.They are fantastic reels for the money,and classed as a mini big pit.They have a wide spool but are quite small in overall length ,and at £99 each are a steal.perfect on the Trent when a big cast is required with a 12' or 13' rod.

I've three cast'izm 25qda. As Richard says above, lovely reels. I never really took to baitrunners. Only have one now. Okuma something now relegated to respooling duties. Large line capacity. I've said before on here, just love the qd feature. Only wish the 2600's had it. I know you can aquire caps but I don't want to. Recently purchased a pair of crosscasts scw35's. A little bigger than I thought but again lovely reels. I've got my eyes on the tdx Richard for the right price. Looked at one in a shop. Turned the handle and it just kept going n going. I know they're expensive. I look at it as a one off payment unless you lose or break them.

I've three cast'izm 25qda. As Richard says above, lovely reels. I never really took to baitrunners. Only have one now. Okuma something now relegated to respooling duties. Large line capacity. I've said before on here, just love the qd feature. Only wish the 2600's had it. I know you can aquire caps but I don't want to. Recently purchased a pair of crosscasts scw35's. A little bigger than I thought but again lovely reels. I've got my eyes on the tdx Richard for the right price. Looked at one in a shop. Turned the handle and it just kept going n going. I know they're expensive. I look at it as a one off payment unless you lose or break them.
The TDX is actually discontinued now in favour of the tournament being Daiwas top end reel.
I was prepared to buy a TDR but I just couldn’t do it because they are just waaaaaaay too bling for my liking. So I fronted up the extra and found a TDX in stock
It doesn’t have a folding handle. The handle locks on via a short thread.
which I thought might bother me but before you think the same definitely try one. It’s actually better because it’s got zero play. You have just direct contact through the handle straight to the rotor and it feels great.
Again I’ve never picked up a shimano that would better it in my opinion for trotting a float.
I’d like one ever so slightly heavier to balance up a 15ft rod but for 13’s and 14’s it’s spot on.

I'm guessing you refer to the black tdx, with the push button spool? I see Daiwa have a tdx qd, without the push button. Considerably cheaper too.

No I have the newest version with the magsealed bearings and red spool skirt.
1EE63A84-B717-4817-96D9-6BD8C6CFB5A6.jpeg

I have an Emcast 4000 BR and up to today it has been OK. I got the reel along with a barbel rod that lasted 7 outings. Today, was the 8th outing for the reel, but this time with braid loaded and on a new rod. I lost a fish on the strike because the braid had jammed in the gap between the bail wire and roller part. The Castizm appears to have the same bail arrangement. There does not appear to be any adjustment so if you are using braid beware. I might have a one off, but I would advise checking the bail before deciding to buy.

The TDX is actually discontinued now in favour of the tournament being Daiwas top end reel.
I was prepared to buy a TDR but I just couldn’t do it because they are just waaaaaaay too bling for my liking. So I fronted up the extra and found a TDX in stock
It doesn’t have a folding handle. The handle locks on via a short thread.
which I thought might bother me but before you think the same definitely try one. It’s actually better because it’s got zero play. You have just direct contact through the handle straight to the rotor and it feels great.
Again I’ve never picked up a shimano that would better it in my opinion for trotting a float.
I’d like one ever so slightly heavier to balance up a 15ft rod but for 13’s and 14’s it’s spot on.

If you like the TDR then this could be the reel for you.

TD Feeder QD

It's a TDR in (less blingy) wolfs clothing with a super rugged aluminium body.

Only comes in 4012 though so not really a float reel, but looks superb for feeder fishing.

If you like the TDR then this could be the reel for you.

TD Feeder QD

It's a TDR in (less blingy) wolfs clothing with a super rugged aluminium body.

Only comes in 4012 though so not really a float reel, but looks superb for feeder fishing.
Cheap too.
Looks very smart.

I’m not great with QD reels. There’s nothing wrong with them I’m just a bit heavy handed with them as I’m not used to them.
I always have a clutch preset somewhere near and if I need to make an adjustment by afew clicks it works but a few clicks on a qd spool can be the difference between almost locked up or free spool and I need to train myself that 1 click is enough. My TDX is qd and I’m getting used to it slowly but surely.

Perhaps the only downside to the castizms is the size of the reel foot. Fit my infinity rods fine but allow only a few turns of the reel seat on my Hi S “heavy water “ rods

Perhaps the only downside to the castizms is the size of the reel foot. Fit my infinity rods fine but allow only a few turns of the reel seat on my Hi S “heavy water “ rods
That’s strange as I’ve got them on the big river barbel rods (free spirit S version) and they screw up right nice.
Must be different reel seats.

Back