• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook pulls

I don’t fish meat a lot but a 4 seems a big hook?
At the risk of stating the obvious have you tried scaling down?
Smaller hooks penetrate better but obviously need to be proportionate to the bait
I’m not fishing the Swale at the moment due to low levels but when I was I don’t think I’ve used a hook bigger than a 12 this season and not had any hookpulls
Also are you using braid as a main line ?
Are you using a powerful rod? eg 2.25tc
When I get hook pulls it’s usually when I’m piking and this is normally down to braid and 3lb + rods- even though 6 hooks, no stretch so not difficult to pull the hook or straighten them
And I don’t mean straighten literally, just deform them slightly is enough to lose grip
No hook pulls on the size 4. Only used that size once for a huge lump of meat. Usually use any size between 14 and 8 depending on bait size. Biggest test curve I use with the conditions at the moment are 1.75tc. I don't use braid for barbel.

Have you changed rods at all? Last closed season I got new rods and first few months of the season I lost so many fish to hook pulls. Could only put it down to the rods. I always used barbless hooks and rarely lost fish unless I got snapped before so I switched to micro barbed and not lost one to hook pull since

Sounds like you are doing everything right Stephen. I'd just get a new pack of hooks. I usually use Bank Tackle wide gape barbless in size 10 when fishing meat, and cannot remember the last time I bumped a fish off. Though to be honest I have had very few opportunities so far this season 😂.

No hook pulls on the size 4. Only used that size once for a huge lump of meat. Usually use any size between 14 and 8 depending on bait size. Biggest test curve I use with the conditions at the moment are 1.75tc. I don't use braid for barbel.
Mmmm🤔
Sounds like everything is balanced.
Are you fishing a static piece of meat on a standard running rig or rolling meat?
I have been fishing castors/ maggots on small hooks and a tip so pretty conventional fishing e.g I strike at bites albeit a barbel bite is hard to miss
Also been fishing hair-rigged pellets on a running rig but they hook themselves 9/10
I only really use meat when it’s a moving bait and consequently the bites tend to be more positive as the fish makes a snap decision to intercept the bait as it trundles past
Even fishing naturals I often see an indication on the tip several minutes before a proper bite , suggesting that they are a lot more wary of a static bait in low clear conditions , even a tiny one like double castor
Might just be with low levels they are being a lot more finicky than last season ?
Possibly try an alternative hook bait like an 8 or 10mm pellet on a shortish hair?
Good luck- I’m sure you will work it out

Mmmm🤔
Sounds like everything is balanced.
Are you fishing a static piece of meat on a standard running rig or rolling meat?
I have been fishing castors/ maggots on small hooks and a tip so pretty conventional fishing e.g I strike at bites albeit a barbel bite is hard to miss
Also been fishing hair-rigged pellets on a running rig but they hook themselves 9/10
I only really use meat when it’s a moving bait and consequently the bites tend to be more positive as the fish makes a snap decision to intercept the bait as it trundles past
Even fishing naturals I often see an indication on the tip several minutes before a proper bite , suggesting that they are a lot more wary of a static bait in low clear conditions , even a tiny one like double castor
Might just be with low levels they are being a lot more finicky than last season ?
Possibly try an alternative hook bait like an 8 or 10mm pellet on a shortish hair?
Good luck- I’m sure you will work it out
Cheers Mike and Paul. I fish the canals during the river close season and that's fine stuff on the tip as I love that type of fishing. You do miss the odd one as the roach and bream are so used to being caught during matches. However the run of hook pulls so far this river season is one I'm not used to. Sunday I landed 2 out of 3 so the ratio is improving. New hooks, snell knot are what I'll try. All the fish are coming to small pallets at the moment.

If you are striking, don't.

If you are getting a "Run" I presume you are using the baitrunner. The fish will be already hooked if you are hair rigging. A FIRM strike will simply open the point of penetrative.

I noted ladt week that this warm water has certainly made barbel mouths far softer than normal.
I’ve always given it a pull to set the hook properly graham no matter what the rod is doing. It certainly doesn’t cause any negative effects whatsoever from my experience.
I’m not talking about trying to set trebles here but definitely would give it something. I can’t imagine it’s going to open anything up because there is far more pressure applied during the fight than setting the hook properly so you can’t add to what is already inevitable
The weight of the lead or tension under the rod etc might only be enough to lightly prick the fish and send it running before you pick it up and I think not setting it could definitely increase the chances of an early drop off.

I’ve always given it a pull to set the hook properly graham no matter what the rod is doing. It certainly doesn’t cause any negative effects whatsoever from my experience.
I’m not talking about trying to set trebles here but definitely would give it something. I can’t imagine it’s going to open anything up because there is far more pressure applied during the fight than setting the hook properly so you can’t add to what is already inevitable
The weight of the lead or tension under the rod etc might only be enough to lightly prick the fish and send it running before you pick it up and I think not setting it could definitely increase the chances of an early drop off.
Yes. He was losing fish from hook pulls, despite striking. Not missing them.

There's striking and......

I fished the Trent last week. What was noticeable was how soft the Barbel mouths were. On landing far more damage than normal and bleeding because of the warm water.

When an Angler talks about getting " Runs " from barbel I assumed it was with hair rigged bait.

I never have had a ( carp talk) Run from a barbel on lumps of meat. Because I'm sitting on the rod or holding it.

Last edited:
Yes. He was losing fish from hook pulls, despite striking. Not missing them.

There's striking and......

I fished the Trent last week. What was noticeable was how soft the Barbel mouths were. On landing far more damage than normal and bleeding because of the warm water.

When an Angler talks about getting " Runs " from barbel I assumed it was with hair rigged bait.

I never have had a ( carp talk) Run from a barbel on lumps of meat. Because I'm sitting on the rod or holding it.
It’s very difficult to describe a strike. I hate the word as it’s nothing like what I would actually do.

I will always briskly give the rod a controlled pull on pick up whether it’s a “run” or wrap or bite or bat to ensure the hook securely home.

I don’t think any amount of hook setting is able to contribute to mouth damage in the way like playing one for afew minutes can which can’t be avoided. I’ve not seen any mouth problems on the nene at the moment mind but then my piss poor catch returns so far this season ain’t much to go on so….

The weight of leads can act as a pivot on the hook hold, well known in carp circles, by dropping the weight we have a much better chance of landing the fish. Don't push the tail rubber tight on the fixing, just at most halfway.
If the hook is sharp enough for a hook up it seems illogical that this would be the culprit.

The weight of leads can act as a pivot on the hook hold, well known in carp circles, by dropping the weight we have a much better chance of landing the fish. Don't push the tail rubber tight on the fixing, just at most halfway.
If the hook is sharp enough for a hook up it seems illogical that this would be the culprit.
All sorted as per previous post but thanks.

Back