• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Riverfly Monitoring

I have been Riverfly monitoring a number of sites on the Frays and Colne for the last 4 years. On my training course I caught a Lamprey and a rare stonefly never caught at that site before, talk about beginners luck. Our club did two free Riverfly taster days at Rickmansworth Festival this year. We explained the species, swimming styles and lifestyle. We were very popular with the kids but also had a wonderful 88 year old retired teacher come down specially to see us . We often had 20 + kids sorting the trays and Mayfly and Caddis were hatching whilst they sorted the species. Most of the kids did not want to leave us and bribery was rife from the parents., ice cream etc. To see the fascination in their eyes was wonderful and most picked it up quickly, far quicker than the parents. Its all about showing kids something totally different to the normal. It was very tiring but very special. My highlight was a 5 year old talking to a Mayfly just hatched on his finger. 'You are going to die' cracked me up. So much easier than the try fishing taster we also did because we get thousands of invertebrates in a short test so there is a lot less pressure on us.

Last edited:
Back