• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish cradles aka Fish poachers

Jon and Clive's experience and observation backs up my initial thoughts.
They back up that some anglers are idiots and mis use a product.

You don’t honestly believe it says in the instructions when you buy one “ this item can be used as a suitable container to keep your fish alive till morning “

People can be idiots Ady but the product can be used perfectly safely.

How many times have you opened up a box and pulled out your product whatever it may be and in the bottom of the box there’s little packets of silicone to absorb moisture

Written on the packets “do not eat”. Some people are idiots

You're making my point for me Richard. Because of the potential of 'idiots' misusing this product, I don't think that these products should be encouraged, or seen as the panacea of fish handing care. There are far simpler, quicker and more effective methods. I am inclined to think that these products have been carp market driven.

You're making my point for me Richard. Because of the potential of 'idiots' misusing this product, I don't think that these products should be encouraged, or seen as the panacea of fish handing care. There are far simpler, quicker and more effective methods. I am inclined to think that these products have been carp market driven.
I do agree with you there Ady that the best case scenario is to remove the product from the idiots hand but what about the non idiots like most of us? People that are capable of using such things to good effect?
You can’t call a toaster a crap invention because some thick tit goes and sticks a knife in it.
I’ve seen these cradles in use a lot and while I’d never own one myself purely from a transportation point of view, I won’t kick the pants out of them because they can be used to perfectly good effect by competent anglers.
I’m not gonna sway the thread into a mat no mat discussion because that’s being done to death and people will make their own choices there.

Cringing at all the pics of skinny middle severn Barbel being touted on fb.
You can bet there is no thoughts about whats good for the fish, just their ego's.

Perhaps if these cradles came with a free floppy hat they'd be readily acceptable??

I really haven't read so much tripe about an item of fish care ever before. A fish cradle usually doesn't hold water, at least the ones I've seen don't, they usually have mesh sections at either end to allow water to escape.

The standard practise is to have a bucket of water next to the cradle to wet things down before the fish is placed in it. If people don't that's not the fault of the item, the same people could very well be capable of laying a fish on dry sticks, idiots are idiots are idiots no matter what they use and do!

I'm really quite dumfounded by some of the comments on this thread.
The reason for the comments about them retaining water is simply down to the fact that some do retain water. The ones used out here are mostly what could be described as a hammock supported on an aluminium cradle about a foot or more off the ground. They are designed to hold water and if that water is not changed regularly it will become very warm if left out in the sun. The one I put my hand in was at least 30C. It was only when I pointed this out to the angler that he realised the issue.

The reason for the comments about them retaining water is simply down to the fact that some do retain water. The ones used out here are mostly what could be described as a hammock supported on an aluminium cradle about a foot or more off the ground. They are designed to hold water and if that water is not changed regularly it will become very warm if left out in the sun. The one I put my hand in was at least 30C. It was only when I pointed this out to the angler that he realised the issue.
Clive 30 Deg C (easily obtained in France) is going to kill a barbel very quickly.

Back