• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2022

I’m quite embarrassed to wear that crown fellas but I thank you for the compliment. I’ve had a cracking spring, far beyond my expectations but being retired I’ve been able to fish far more than many of you blokes. When I was working, to be able to fish two or three days a week, during the week rather than at weekends, was a dream. I can now live that dream. I’ve been lucky to be in the right place at the right time mostly and lucky with the quality of fish available to me. I started this thread not as means to massage my ego but to get us round the country chatting and I’m grateful to those of you that ran with me. Thanks again👍

I’ve really enjoyed this thread. Thanks @Bill Walford for starting it up. Humble as ever, but you’ve have had a cracker! Long live the King, we should fashion you a crown from old weed rakes 😁

It’s not been a terrific Tench season for me. Seven sessions (more would’ve been nice) for three Tench and one lost in the weed. Best was a mid six.

Since Covid, the two lakes I fish locally have introduced an online booking system and moved the goalposts with start and off times, meaning the dawn and dusk feeding windows are off limits.

The lake with the real specimens also suffered the loss of a few fish over the last couple of Summers and has had the big girl (12lb+) removed and put into one of the syndicate carp lakes on the same complex. So I’ve been told, anyway. Not that I’m a trophy hunter, I would’ve still had a session or two on there, but any sort of chop on the water seems to be a bit of death knell and my available days were all a tad breezy.

The other lake was a bit of a runs water for Tincas when I fished it a couple of years back, not so much for me this year but hey, I still enjoyed the blanks.

Roll on (pun intended) next Spring. I’m looking forward to the remainder of this thread and Tench 2023. Great contributions from all!

Roll on next Sprng indeed.

My planned tench fishing this year didn‘t happen; primarily because of the slightly unexpected arrival of a rescue dog ! He needs serious rehab as he has been neglected and suffers with separation anxiety. So I’ve basically not got out fishing since early April.

Ironically, back then I was walking a local pit that I’ve just got a ticket for, looking for the big carp and after 10 days walking/looking I found them on the Thursday before Easter…..The dog arrived the next day !

Today I was told that my local (carp) syndicate has at last started to produce some seriously big tench - so that is something to look forward to next year. Currently it’s closed as the carp are spawning……Quite why the tench have suddenly put on weight I don’t know, but better late than never. I just hope the weight gains are maintained in 2023.

So my Spring fishing hasn’t happened this year. The good news is that the dog is happy and healthy.

I’m quite embarrassed to wear that crown fellas but I thank you for the compliment. I’ve had a cracking spring, far beyond my expectations but being retired I’ve been able to fish far more than many of you blokes. When I was working, to be able to fish two or three days a week, during the week rather than at weekends, was a dream. I can now live that dream. I’ve been lucky to be in the right place at the right time mostly and lucky with the quality of fish available to me. I started this thread not as means to massage my ego but to get us round the country chatting and I’m grateful to those of you that ran with me. Thanks again👍
Have to respond to your posts Bill.Again really enjoyed reading them during the close season,they were interesting and informative and even encouraged me to dust off my stillwater gear.My results were nowhere near yours,number of tench 0.However have a new PB carp of 28lbs caught unintentionaly but welcome.Have also fully retired in January so also hoping to up the time fishing so would like to wish you a long and happy retirement and to carry on reading your posts for many more years.

Have to respond to your posts Bill.Again really enjoyed reading them during the close season,they were interesting and informative and even encouraged me to dust off my stillwater gear.My results were nowhere near yours,number of tench 0.However have a new PB carp of 28lbs caught unintentionaly but welcome.Have also fully retired in January so also hoping to up the time fishing so would like to wish you a long and happy retirement and to carry on reading your posts for many more years.
Thank you Adrian and you also enjoy retirement 👍 There’s always plenty to consume on hear in the river season but be assured that if no one else starts a Tench 2023 thread afore me then I’ll do it ‘cos I’ll be Tenching again come April 23. That said I’ve not quite finished yet and hope I might be able add another post or two🤞
Regards
Bill

Well done to all who posted. A very enjoyable close season read and makes me a little nostalgic. When I was a boy I spent a lot of seasons chasing tench on the Royal ponds around Richmond and Hampton court with the occasional foray into Hampshire. Have been living near Preston for over twenty years now and tench fishing around here is sparse other than bloody commercials stuffed with pigs where the ratio is about 100 to 1. I do have my name down on a waiting list of a local club that has a couple of ponds with some in but I may be waiting a long time. However I will stick with it because the idea if fishing with a quill float along the edges of a lily patch on the lift method a la Fred J would be a wonderful way to return to trenching. I suspect I will be lucky to get close to a 5 plus but looking forward to it anyway. Good luck all for the new season.

My first Tenchfishers fish-in Tench at the third time of trying having blanked at Bawburgh and Sywell. 7lb 9oz just after 4:30am this morning
E7A185F8-DF09-4BC4-81C7-100779326FA5.jpeg

Another fantastic fish, lovely dark colour bill. Your far to modest bill, retired or not you’ve still got to put the effort and time in. Efforts = rewards 👍🎣
Iam not quite ready to give up with my tench antics just yet probably have a few sessions here and there.
We done to everyone on there captures and thanks to bill the instigator of this great thread 👍

Last Sunday afternoon, missed two,lost two and caught two.
Learning each time , best a biggy at 9lb 2oz other 7lb3oz
Another go this weekend methinks....

Can anyone reccomend a weed good rake ?
Two cracking fish Mark. Well caught!
Agree with Chris, Jakes Rakes the business 👍 but I’ve got one of these if you want something a bit more budget conscious

I also carry one of their casting rakes as well

Last edited:
Cheers Bill.
Thank you Chris

Couple of places I go do have a weed issue and I expect it to get worse as the summer progesses

After say 1+ hours of serious weed raking a tench swim would you normally expect to fish straight away or best left for
next day ?

After say 1+ hours of serious weed raking a tench swim would you normally expect to fish straight away or best left for
next day ?
It seems to depend on the water. All you can do is try both ways and see what works for you on your water.

I’m lucky Mark the Tench in my water seem to respond to a raking, certainly not put off by it. Rake it, have a brew and start fishing 👍😁

After 90 minutes of raking weed on Saturday stopped at 4pm and started fishing with two rods at 5pm.
Only fish of the 4 hour session came at 7pm ish.
Lovely looking solid ,broad fish with near perfect body but with one slightly less than perfect fin.
Scraper double !

Following the raking there were no visible signs of tench in the swim, bubbles,rolling etc ?
Happy days....

After 90 minutes of raking weed on Saturday stopped at 4pm and started fishing with two rods at 5pm.
Only fish of the 4 hour session came at 7pm ish.
Lovely looking solid ,broad fish with near perfect body but with one slightly less than perfect fin.
Scraper double !

Following the raking there were no visible signs of tench in the swim, bubbles,rolling etc ?
Happy days....
Well caught Mark. You’ve got some quality fish for the catching. Keep ‘em coming 👍

IMG_2128.JPG

A friend made this rake for our local pond. We put 25m of rope on it. Trouble was, it was that heavy we could only chuck it about 12m. LOL.

Back