• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hiking/walking boots

John Care

My 8 year old brashers have finally given up, so I'd like another pair that last just as long if i can get some.

ANy recommendations for new ones? I prefer a boot in summertime, before switching to Muckboots when the winter mud arrives.

John

My 8 year old brashers have finally given up, so I'd like another pair that last just as long if i can get some.

ANy recommendations for new ones? I prefer a boot in summertime, before switching to Muckboots when the winter mud arrives.

John
I've a pair of leather Brasher's John that I use for my mountain/hill walking. Still going strong after years of use. You can still buy them at most Outdoor sales outlets. Cotswold etc. Though not seemingly at your bargain basement Mountain Warehouse.

I have a pair of Meindl Bhutan boots. Been worn plenty over the last few years for fishing and dog walking. They are comfortable to wear and to keep them waterproof I wax them once a year. They are expensive now, but I got mine in a Go Outdoors promotion for £99. Great bargain.

Meindl Mens Magic 2.0 GTX - expensive but worth every penny. Mine are coming up to 20yrs old and have been used exclusively for fishing - waterproof / breathable (amazingly these smell less than any other piece of footwear I own) comfortable and grippy . . .german engineering for feet

I wear Salomon Quest GTX boots. Their not cheap nowadays, but a good boot. I gave up wearing boots for hillwalking in favour of some Inov8 Terroc 330s approach shoes and waterproof socks. Much nicer on my feet at the end of a long day in the hills.

John
Have a look at Magnums

For the money Hi-tec are very underrated, if money is no issue Scarpa.
Reading good things about inov8, they have a graphene coating on the sole which pretty much makes them indestructible.

I use scarpa ranger gtx autumn and winter usually get 4/5 seasons out of them. Probably wouldn’t recommend them as an all year boot tho as they are insulated.

I’d try and find the exact same boot as you’ve got, if your getting 8 years from them.

Very timely this, I bought Karrimor boots and they are heading for the bin as they have squeaky soles and are not waterproof :rolleyes:

Karrimor used to be a top quality, British rucksack maker, might even still have one in the loft. Sold out to mass market Chinese rubbish.

I’ve got a pair of berghaus hillwalkers I use them fishing, walking the dog etc.
5-6yrs old now clean them every now and then and there still good 👍

Go for something like these these days. Thick soft sole great on the knees and quite good wet weather grip.
HOK1431_1000_1.jpg

I suggest you get another pair of brashers stick with what you know and works.

I had a pair of Brasher Hillmasters and they were brilliant and gave me many years of heavy use, until Ieft them mine behind in a carpark...

When i went to replace them I was advised by the sales assistant to avoid Brasher as they had been taken over by Berghaus, and the build quality had declined notably and they were getting a lot of returns. I went for a pair of Meindl Bhutan boots on his recommendation and have been fine, however I also have a pair of Grisport ranger boots which are just brilliant imo. For me they are the perfect fishing boot. Bought them for 60% off in a Johnson Ross sale, but they have proved so good I have bought a second pair and put them away for the future - that's how much I rate them. Waterproof to about 6", warm in winter, cool in summer, great grip, excellent ankle support. Highly recommended.

ex MOD Altberg Defenders for me. Not the lightest but well made, full leather, waterproof boots. Cheap as well, £50 for Grade1 off of ebay, mine were like new!

I'm not far from the factory and bought Alt-Berg boots (3 different types for different situations) during my time in the military. However, in the last ten years, after first using a pair of their safety boots, I've switched over to Haix. A couple of pairs were brand new MoD surplus. If I have no intention of wading, I'll be wearing Haix boots or shoes of some description.

Back