• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

cautionary tale!

Paul Rogers

How often do we check the line guides on our rods?
Yesterday while fishing, I had a disaster that leaves me really upset.
Fishing a small river in a swim that the fish appeared spooky; I was fishing with my rod tip resting on the river bed and waiting for the centre pin to scream.
Well, very quickly that happened, but on picking up the rod the line parted about half way up the rod!!!!
on examination; I found the first eye on the top section of the rod, has a thin split in the ceramic lining.
In a normal situation with the tip pointing upwards this would not have happened, as the split was at the top of the eye;
somewhere most would not check a guide for damage; the rod was pulling in the opposite direction than normal and became caught in the split;
snapping it like cotton!!!
No loss is acceptable, especially one that leaves a fish trailing line; fortunately the half ounce lead was free running and will come off the 12/15ft of line,
but the hook may be a little harder to shed.
i am not proud of this happening, so I am now going to check line guides more often; maybe it is something we all need to do.
Paul

Hi Paul that’s bad luck ,I was cleaning one of my favourite rods pre season and noticed exactly the same thing on one of the rings,it’s now in the loft while I figure out what to do with it.

Don’t beat yourself up about it Paul 99% of people would of easily missed that one.

She’ll get shot of the hook I’m sure, they are better at doing this then we know and I’m sure she’ll be fine
Unfortunately even good anglers that fish safely like yourself can get caught out by the tiniest of things that go unseen.
Like you say it’s a free running rig and I’m sure your experience will have alot of us checking our inserts more often…….. I will that’s for sure.

Hi Paul don’t feel bad these things happen, it won’t be trailing the lead and iam sure it will shed the hook. Most would have missed that. I for one never check the upper part of the guide,I will now 👍🏻

its something I have never done either, but I will now!!

Dont beat yourself up about it, it will shed the hook in no time

Hi Paul that’s bad luck ,I was cleaning one of my favourite rods pre season and noticed exactly the same thing on one of the rings,it’s now in the loft while I figure out what to do with it.
Alan don't know what rod you have; but I have received great support from harrison's, sorting out the correct eye and putting me onto a good rod repair man only 12miles or so from me. Hope you can find the same service near you.

Confidence restored. Took the other rod of the pair out yesterday afternoon. Didn't catch any barbel; however in four hours four chub topped by two over 5lb from same swim with rod tips down.
By aside. The rod is going in for repairs with a reputable repairer rod builder and only costing a tenner.

Attachments

• P6210007 (2).jpg
    P6210007 (2).jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 97
Back