• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trying new line - Gardner Mirage Platinum

Richard Dawson

Fluorocarbon, £24 for 200m.

15lb 0.35

I was checking out my reels that i hadn't used since last october and thought i'd peel off some line and check it. Was using Daiwa Tournament ST of 0.30 - 12lb on my most used reels and was definitely feeling a bit rough, like it's been abraded by rocks and snags and stuff.

Thought i'd give a Fluorocarbon mainline a go based on its better abrasion resistance and invisibility (alleged) in water.
I read the marketing spiel of the Gardner Mirage Platinum and though "that'll do"

mirage.jpg

Arrived today but not spooled it up yet, perhaps tomorrow before work so i can try it out tomorrow night.

First impressions are it's a bit thick (i'm used to 0.30) and a bit wiry / springy compared to mono but no-where near as bad as suuper cheap Fluoro. We'll see how it fares though.

Having fished with Fluorocarbon lines since the 90s some before they were available here in the UK ( I worked at heathrow airport cheap flights and used to get them from the USA)
they got better and better over the years possibly the best was Tigerline I fished mainly big carp waters in Europe for around 16 years and when it got hard to source I searched for an alternative

and found GARDNER MIRAGE was as good if not better ! simply a brilliant line ! I dont know of a Fluorocarbon line to beat it BUT ?

I am not sure what the difference between Gardner mirage Platinum is though ???

I've just respooled with Drennan Specimen Camo in 15lb. Looks good so far and fares well in tacklebox tests. The conclusion I came to when considering Fluro is that a lot of tests show it as being less abrasion resistant than mono and this was the key factor in my decision.

Last edited:
I've just respooled with Drennan Specimen Camo in 15lb. Looks good so far and fares well in tacklebox tests. The conclusion I came to when considering Fluro is that a lot of tests show it as being less abrasion resistant than mono and this was the key factor in my decision.
I would totally argue against that !
in my experience its the opposite I have played a 56 lb carp that had gone under a tree that had fallen in
the Fluorocarbon line I could see had gone round a branch and it was see sawing for a good 20 mins with me no knowing how I was going to get out of it when a French guy from the other side of the lake drove round then climbed out on the fallen tree and sawed thru the branch I managed to land the fish later examining the line I could see shreds hanging of of it
trust me no Mono lone would have ever lasted like that

Fluorocarbon line does not absorb water like mono does (and can be weakened by it ) is unaffected by UV light and I have found it to be far far more abrasion resistant than mono

There is no way you can say fluorocarbon is tougher than nylon monofilament, or vice versa. If you're using a stiff springy line then the chances are that it will have better than average abrasion resistance (because it will be 'hard'). If you're using a limp line then it will be soft, and less abrasion resistant. It'll always be a trade-off, a compromise, and you can't have it all in one line, otherwise that line would put all others in the shade. Bad lines don't stay on the market for very long as anglers don't re-purchase. Those that stand the 'test of time' are all good, just different on the limp ----abrasion resistant spectrum. Personally my compromise is a fluoro coated nylon (Krystonite) and the least abrasion resistant line I've ever used was (and is, as it does have its uses) is Grand Max (Seaguar) Soft+
IMHO

There is no way you can say fluorocarbon is tougher than nylon monofilament, or vice versa. If you're using a stiff springy line then the chances are that it will have better than average abrasion resistance (because it will be 'hard'). If you're using a limp line then it will be soft, and less abrasion resistant. It'll always be a trade-off, a compromise, and you can't have it all in one line, otherwise that line would put all others in the shade. Bad lines don't stay on the market for very long as anglers don't re-purchase. Those that stand the 'test of time' are all good, just different on the limp ----abrasion resistant spectrum. Personally my compromise is a fluoro coated nylon (Krystonite) and the least abrasion resistant line I've ever used was (and is, as it does have its uses) is Grand Max (Seaguar) Soft+
IMHO
Seaguar soft plus is the best Fluoro I’ve ever used for hooklinks and fly fishing tippets.

I tried Fluoro mainline for carp fishing a while back and the best I found for that job was Tigerline. Most of them are woefully overstated for their actual breaking strain. If I tried one for barbel it would be at least 0.35 diameter; but I’m not changing my thick, easily knotted, abrasion resistant mono anytime soon.

IMHO
Terry DONT ! tell me what I can say ?

EVEN GOOGLE AGREES WITH ME
In the short term, fluorocarbon is a much harder material than monofilament. This results in higher abrasion resistance that is useful in situations such as nymphing or fishing around heavy structure. Also, most fluorocarbon line is thinner in diameter than monofilament line of the same breaking strength

Harder is Better
Fishing lines made from different materials vary in abrasion resistance. The four main types are fluorocarbon, monofilament, copolymer and braid. All things being equal in terms of diameter, fluorocarbon is usually the most abrasion resistant.

Only ever had breakage problems with a few types of Fluro when testing out. Need to be very careful with tying knots especially. Noted frequent line stripping/grazing.

Most fluro line I have looked at has Greater diameter than mono?? 12lb often 35 v 30.

Tells me that any minor cut / graze from rough ground will lose me fish.

Fine for silt lakes without crayfish or mussels etc

I'll be sticking to my gt80 or gr60. NEVER had it break on me at 12lb mainline, Trent or Wye.

Only ever had breakage problems with a few types of Fluro when testing out. Need to be very careful with tying knots especially. Noted frequent line stripping/grazing.

Most fluro line I have looked at has Greater diameter than mono?? 12lb often 35 v 30.

I'll be sticking to my gt80 or gr60. NEVER had it break on me at 12lb mainline, Trent or Wye.
Been using esp olive for last 10 years probably, 12lb,£9:95 a spool,been brilliant, on my last spool now,obviously discontinued now,too cheap🤔

Terry DONT ! tell me what I can say ?

EVEN GOOGLE AGREES WITH ME
In the short term, fluorocarbon is a much harder material than monofilament. This results in higher abrasion resistance that is useful in situations such as nymphing or fishing around heavy structure. Also, most fluorocarbon line is thinner in diameter than monofilament line of the same breaking strength

Harder is Better
Fishing lines made from different materials vary in abrasion resistance. The four main types are fluorocarbon, monofilament, copolymer and braid. All things being equal in terms of diameter, fluorocarbon is usually the most abrasion resistant.
You can say what you like Gary but all I'm saying is, what you're saying is a generalisation, not an absolute. It depends on the particular fluorocarbon and it depends on the particular nylon. Some fluorocarbons will have less abrasion resistance than some nylons, and vice versa...and that's inarguable.
BTW... Re. Harder is better" ...well yes, for abrasion resistance, but not for softness/limpness. By "monofilament" I take it they mean nylon monofilament, which itself is most likely to be a copolymer of nylons. "Copolymer" is stupid generic and could be any mix of polymers.

That's another massive factor in abrasion resistance : diameter. Pre-stretched lines look and feel great (to us) but they certainly need rechecking every cast.

Been using esp olive for last 10 years probably, 12lb,£9:95 a spool,been brilliant, on my last spool now,obviously discontinued now,too cheap🤔

Saying they have it?

I was reading an article last week by a French carp and cat angler. His focus was mainline breaking strains. He had no time for flourocarbon full stop. He refused to recommend any flourocarbon. He stated, he wasn't convinced by any of the perceived advantages of flourocarbon. The invisibility factor. He argued all line will collect debris therefore it's visible. Monofilament he recommended big game. Braid spider wire.

I can't see any advantage in using a fluoro mainline for river fishing. Maybe some advantages for stillwater angling in terms of line sink, that's about it.

12lb GR60 or 16lb Pro Clear is all I'll never need for big river barbel angling. Neither have ever let me down, one less thing to worry about. 14lb Pro Clear for smaller rivers and easy snaggy situations.

Used 18lb ESP Syncro HT on a carp fishing trip to France back in April, was very impressed by it's abrasion resistance.

I would totally argue against that !
in my experience its the opposite I have played a 56 lb carp that had gone under a tree that had fallen in
the Fluorocarbon line I could see had gone round a branch and it was see sawing for a good 20 mins with me no knowing how I was going to get out of it when a French guy from the other side of the lake drove round then climbed out on the fallen tree and sawed thru the branch I managed to land the fish later examining the line I could see shreds hanging of of it
trust me no Mono lone would have ever lasted like that

Fluorocarbon line does not absorb water like mono does (and can be weakened by it ) is unaffected by UV light and I have found it to be far far more abrasion resistant than mono
I too Gerry have found the same with Flourocarbon; it is far more abrassion resistant than mono; in fact as your example shows- too good!
I use X-Line, which breaks below the stated breaking strain; yet I have never felt unable to land fish because of that.
I have done tests on every line I use; 1. EQUAL MOVEMENT ACROSS A WET BRICK (wetting the line before doing so). 2. ACROSS A WET SOFT WOOD FENCE POST. X-line 10lb breaks at an average of 8lb 14oz; BUT, survives 43 pulls across the brick (Average) and doesn't break on the wood, but cuts into the wood and locks up. In comparision to Diawa sensor 10lb, the worst performer which breaks at 12lb 4oz ; BUT snaps after only 8 pulls across the brick and 12 across the wood. The best mono I have tested is Korum Subline 10lb which breaks at 13lb 2oz and snaps at 34 pulls across the brick and 25 the wood.
It is really a big misnomer; as in real conditions the snags may be of other material and also the breaking strain in measured in the test on a striaght pull and not through a rod; therefore, in relation to actual fishing when the line has help from the rod to absorb some of the pressure, and the pull is not always through a straight line due to weed etc; meaning any breaking strain test is nu and void.

I can't see any advantage in using a fluoro mainline for river fishing. Maybe some advantages for stillwater angling in terms of line sink, that's about it.

12lb GR60 or 16lb Pro Clear is all I'll never need for big river barbel angling. Neither have ever let me down, one less thing to worry about. 14lb Pro Clear for smaller rivers and easy snaggy situations.

Used 18lb ESP Syncro HT on a carp fishing trip to France back in April, was very impressed by it's abrasion resistance.
Joe gr60 or gr? something was the his 2nd choice.

I too Gerry have found the same with Flourocarbon; it is far more abrassion resistant than mono; in fact as your example shows- too good!
I use X-Line, which breaks below the stated breaking strain; yet I have never felt unable to land fish because of that.
I have done tests on every line I use; 1. EQUAL MOVEMENT ACROSS A WET BRICK (wetting the line before doing so). 2. ACROSS A WET SOFT WOOD FENCE POST. X-line 10lb breaks at an average of 8lb 14oz; BUT, survives 43 pulls across the brick (Average) and doesn't break on the wood, but cuts into the wood and locks up. In comparision to Diawa sensor 10lb, the worst performer which breaks at 12lb 4oz ; BUT snaps after only 8 pulls across the brick and 12 across the wood. The best mono I have tested is Korum Subline 10lb which breaks at 13lb 2oz and snaps at 34 pulls across the brick and 25 the wood.
It is really a big misnomer; as in real conditions the snags may be of other material and also the breaking strain in measured in the test on a striaght pull and not through a rod; therefore, in relation to actual fishing when the line has help from the rod to absorb some of the pressure, and the pull is not always through a straight line due to weed etc; meaning any breaking strain test is nu and void.
Yep
best mono I have found since Shimano Catana is without Question the Amazing ESP Syncro XT ...((XT stands for extra tough according to ESP))
normal ( not the loaded thats a different line and not as good )

Back