• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

This nice weather…maybe change of my plan?

Just because the air temperature will be be 16c; doesn't mean the water will have cooled so quickly. The dissolved oxygen will still be very low.
Best to leave the barbel for a while; there are always other fish to fish for that don't suffer so much in the heat!
That’s my thought exactly. Maybe a bit of Rudd fishing after work. Haven’t target them for years.

Not had any sustained crazy warmth here so water should be OK (Until Friday atleast)

I'm fishing within 50 meters of a double weir so plenty of oxygen too.

Had to abandon a 3 day trip down the Avon and Itchen for Salmon, Avon shuts at 19C and it's no fun releasing them much over 17C anywhere. I'm going to hit the upper Lea and try and avoid any barbel. Tench and Carp should come out to play this evening.

Think I will give the float rod an outing.
Well I did Thursday, it was great to watch an Avon trot down the flow, it something I hope to do a lot more of this season, the opening day was more of a homage to the 16th more than with a belief the fish would be interested and so it proved.
But I fished a lovely part of the WA, popular with dog walkers, and I made a load of new friends...2 Whippets, Eric and Ernie, Bearded Collie Bella, Golden Lab who loved a ball game, and a Cockapoo that jumped into my lap after his dip in the river!
Great to be back😂

Went out on Thursday after work, cycling among the Thames river bank, the river is more like still water, full of people swimming…stopped at a wire pool, still not much flow, and the river is incredible low, I saw some 7,8 years standing in the middle of the river…and the water just reach their waist. There are 5,6 anglers already there. Lots small fishes are jumping, so decided to give a few cast, when I try to setup, I found I lost my unhooking mat, I didn’t bring the pva bag, so just a lead with a hair rigged dog biscuit. About 10mins after I casted, the farmer came and told us he will bring the cows in the river, so we may need to move. Before the cow arrives, two guys fishing 50 meters downstream of me caught a barbel and a chub, me and all the people fishing upstream blanked. Still good to go out and good to know the fish are there.

I was planning to just have a Lower Severn Zander day, but with the rain here today and from the West probably try for a barbel instead on the Monday.

Back