• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum big water rods

My opinion of them is they are Flimsy horrible things Neil lacking the ability to deal with a bit of rough handling like other more substantial guides.
Don’t get me wrong the idea of a light weight guide with no insert is bound to appeal to most people but to me they are very weak guides compared to something like a kigan or Fuji.
Maybe a little stalker rod that you hold all day trundling meat could justify having them maybe??? Even then I’d probably choose something else
)
My opinion of them is they are Flimsy horrible things Neil lacking the ability to deal with a bit of rough handling like other more substantial guides.
Don’t get me wrong the idea of a light weight guide with no insert is bound to appeal to most people but to me they are very weak guides compared to something like a kigan or Fuji.
Maybe a little stalker rod that you hold all day trundling meat could justify having them maybe??? Even then I’d probably choose something else 🤷🏻
The titanium ones seem to be well received, the coated guides do have issues with flaking, occasionally, but I guess the thinking behind such a guide is lightness and feel on the blank. And in that they meet the brief.
In fact guides that have inserts can suffer from abrasion issues where's a one piece guide clearly has the advantage.
I agree they do look flimsy Rich, but is there any problems with them other than a gut feeling that they are not up to the rigours of Barbel fishing?

)

The titanium ones seem to be well received, the coated guides do have issues with flaking, occasionally, but I guess the thinking behind such a guide is lightness and feel on the blank. And in that they meet the brief.
In fact guides that have inserts can suffer from abrasion issues where's a one piece guide clearly has the advantage.
I agree they do look flimsy Rich, but is there any problems with them other than a gut feeling that they are not up to the rigours of Barbel fishing?
No if the truth be told other than poking about with them on rods I’ve seen in tackle shops I’ve not had a lot to do with them and probably a bit quicker to judge than I should be. I’m just not convinced by the lack of reinforcement in the frame.
Lighter is always a good thing but at what cost because logically less steel in the frame would mean less strength required to deform.
Unless of course minima use some fancy exotic high strength metal that the others don’t??

No if the truth be told other than poking about with them on rods I’ve seen in tackle shops I’ve not had a lot to do with them and probably a bit quicker to judge than I should be. I’m just not convinced by the lack of reinforcement in the frame.
Lighter is always a good thing but at what cost because logically less steel in the frame would mean less strength required to deform.
Unless of course minima use some fancy exotic high strength metal that the others don’t??
I think you might reassure youself Rich that they do have some durability, certailnly the Titanium ones.

I have seen a few posts about people moaning about the guides on the latest Diawa powermesh barbel rods being lighter than the first powemesh rods

Well my take on it having been a huge fan of Diawa rods both saltwater and freshwater rods is

Diawa are not idiots ?? and they IMHO have never yet produced a rod or reel for that matter that did not perform and last as it should and in the rare occasion the warrantee is brilliant I think a lot of the criticism is only in people imagination as to what might happen

I have seen a few posts about people moaning about the guides on the latest Diawa powermesh barbel rods being lighter than the first powemesh rods

Well my take on it having been a huge fan of Diawa rods both saltwater and freshwater rods is

Diawa are not idiots ?? and they IMHO have never yet produced a rod or reel for that matter that did not perform and last as it should and in the rare occasion the warrantee is brilliant I think a lot of the criticism is only in people imagination as to what might happen
Daiwa are not idiots I agree entirely but they don’t always get it right and a rod that springs straight to my mind is the top top of the range basia barbel rods.
Probably the most sensational rod blank I’ve ever owned and certainly the most sophisticated regarding power, weight, slimness and action yet let down as a rod by being fitted with very frail sea guide rings. Including a very dated bridged tip ring. They gave the lesser expensive infinity proper fujis with anti frap tip and let the beautiful basia suffer with the far inferior ring.
The blank itself more than made up for the crappy guides as it was just perfect to hold use and play fish on in my opinion but daiwa could of built essentially the absolute perfect barbel rod if they’d given it infinity guides.

Daiwa are not idiots I agree entirely but they don’t always get it right and a rod that springs straight to my mind is the top top of the range basia barbel rods.
Probably the most sensational rod blank I’ve ever owned and certainly the most sophisticated regarding power, weight, slimness and action yet let down as a rod by being fitted with very frail sea guide rings. Including a very dated bridged tip ring. They gave the lesser expensive infinity proper fujis with anti frap tip and let the beautiful basia suffer with the far inferior ring.
The blank itself more than made up for the crappy guides as it was just perfect to hold use and play fish on in my opinion but daiwa could of built essentially the absolute perfect barbel rod if they’d given it infinity guides.
so did any of your rings break then ?

That’s the guides there. It’s the only decent pic I’ve got of them. They weren’t absolutely terrible to be fair but they weren’t up to the amazingness of the blank.
If I was using that test curve rod more often I’d of definitely had them rebuilt but instead I sold them.
AA252BC2-78F6-45E2-A7D7-0553BFBEF16F.jpeg

I bought a pair of 13ft 2.5lb and I must they are pretty good. Handle a bit thin and not as nice to play fish on as a Harrison flood rod but for the money they are excellent.

Has anyone got any experience of the 12' 2.5 in the Big Water range?
I bought a pair of 13' 2.75 for sporadic Trent bashing / flood feeder lobbing - got them from Total Fishing for under £50 each on a black friday deal. Have used them a couple of times with overloaded 70mm 8oz feeders and they handle them with ease - surprisingly agile rods for the tc (saying that I'm used to stiffer long range carp rods so could be just me) with a decent amount of sensitivity in the tip - haven't christened them with a fish yet however for the £ the Korum rods perform way beyond their price point!

No problem with the rings on the 13ft big water korum or the 13ft 2.5 either, ask me about a shakespeare 15ft agility for sea fishing though, that does have tin pot brittle eye inserts and the sections need to tightened every so often as not to loose them! my other go to rod for the tidal is a 13ft Tony Miles Supreme Range Scottie that i very nice man sold me on ebay a while back , good rods dont have to cost the earth !

No problem with the rings on the 13ft big water korum or the 13ft 2.5 either, ask me about a shakespeare 15ft agility for sea fishing though, that does have tin pot brittle eye inserts and the sections need to tightened every so often as not to loose them! my other go to rod for the tidal is a 13ft Tony Miles Supreme Range Scottie that i very nice man sold me on ebay a while back , good rods dont have to cost the earth !
Minima type rings are fine for mono users and seem to be in vogue if weight reduction in the overall rod is the aim - for carping this is mainly aimed at distance casting; however this is a little counter intuituve as braid casts further and using braid in conjunction with unlined rings can create wear to the inner over time - so basically don't buy rods with unlined rings if you're a frequent mainline braid user . . .otherwise they're fine!

I agree as a mono user for course and sea , for Humber estuary fishing braid might have been a step to far and could have resulted in numerous knackered rings of this type holding In the strong out going tidal flows with often loads of debris to contend with .

Where are they on offer Ray?

bobco tackle

i bought mine just now from the link and not only is it buy 1 get 1 free but you also get 10% off also and free postage
What does that say about them,if they said you can have a bargain just because you buy one you get I free, go to pounsavers because to offer in total 2 rods for under £100 ,season ends in a month ,sit back till June and still the depending on t/c get the the big one 13ft and probably never been near the trent except to watch the forest, save cash ans get a a diawa power mesh any day of the week to £50 odd quid and a Freeby get the best you can and I have 1.75-- 2.25 infinity and a 2-75 powermesh and they should be called Diawa Trent

Back