• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod travel length

Phil Maggs

Just wondering if someone has a JW ROVEX 11-13ft barbel quiver rod and they could tell me the travel length
of the rod broken down in it's cloth bag.. or if its easier the length of the longest piece of the rod.. thanks in advance..Phil...

I have a Masterline John Wilson Travel Avon / Quiver and JW Youngs Travel Barbel Avon / Quiver, both 11 foot. I could measure them to give you a rough idea if no one has the actual rod that you specify.

OK, no problem. Hope someone can help.

As a ball park figure; the John Wilson 11 foot, 5 piece is 74cm and the JW Youngs rod, also 5 piece is actually 12 foot, and measures 80cm.

I bike, or get public transport and hike to much of my fishing, so I really like 3 and 4 piece rods (and often use the JW 5 piece - used it for trouting in Yoredale only yesterday in fact), but the main reason I've never bought the particular JW rod under discussion here is that its travel length is too long, for me, for the number of sections.

I've forgotten the exact dimensions (did know them a few years ago when I considered buying this rod), but using the extra 2 foot section as a guide for scale in photos, the two longer pieces must be at least 3 foot 7. Maybe slightly longer.

Last edited:
If that’s the rod above you could work it out within afew cm.
We know the extension piece is 2ft so the remaining 3 sections make up an 11foot rod with a quiver tip installed
Its not going to be exact exact as the quiver section looks like it would be longer than the other 2 slightly when installed but 11 into 3 should get you a very close figure of 3.66feet ….. if it’s the same as the rod above.

Cheers Graham and Richard..Good or Bad i will be using one this coming season in both lengths, 11ft and 13ft, sort of gone all nostalgic,
i haven't got it yet but was wondering if i will need to buy another rod holdall, money is really tight at the moment and looking at your estimated lengths then i should be ok...
Thanks Guys...

If that’s the rod above you could work it out within afew cm.
We know the extension piece is 2ft so the remaining 3 sections make up an 11foot rod with a quiver tip installed
Its not going to be exact exact as the quiver section looks like it would be longer than the other 2 slightly when installed but 11 into 3 should get you a very close figure of 3.66feet ….. if it’s the same as the rod above.

Yes it's the same rod, and yes, that makes sense, so 3 foot 8 minimum.

I bike, or get public transport and hike to much of my fishing, so I really like 3 and 4 piece rods (and often use the JW 5 piece - used it for trouting in Yoredale only yesterday in fact), but the main reason I've never bought the particular JW rod under discussion here is that its travel length is too long, for me, for the number of sections.

I've forgotten the exact dimensions (did know them a few years ago when I considered buying this rod), but using the extra 2 foot section as a guide for scale in photos, the two longer pieces must be at least 3 foot 7. Maybe slightly longer.

I keep reading bad reports about the Masterline and Youngs travel rods, but I wonder if the reveiwers have actually used the rods. Like you I rely on these rods for cycling fishing expeditions, in my case when on holiday. The John Wilson rod is a light Avon, but has accounted for barbel of 8lb and carp over double that. The heavier Youngs rod has a nice easy action and perfect for barbel fishing. They both fit nicely on the crossbar of my mountain bike and come with strong cordura tubes that are big enough to take a couple of bank sticks and a 2 piece landing net handle.

For the price I can't fault them.

I keep reading bad reports about the Masterline and Youngs travel rods, but I wonder if the reveiwers have actually used the rods. Like you I rely on these rods for cycling fishing expeditions, in my case when on holiday. The John Wilson rod is a light Avon, but has accounted for barbel of 8lb and carp over double that. The heavier Youngs rod has a nice easy action and perfect for barbel fishing. They both fit nicely on the crossbar of my mountain bike and come with strong cordura tubes that are big enough to take a couple of bank sticks and a 2 piece landing net handle.

For the price I can't fault them.
I fishing with my bike most of the time. I have both jw Avon travel and young’s barbel travel, they do the job nicely. They are not the top quality rods for sure, but are bad rods. Although the price of these rods are stupid on eBay now.

I fishing with my bike most of the time. I have both jw Avon travel and young’s barbel travel, they do the job nicely. They are not the top quality rods for sure, but are bad rods. Although the price of these rods are stupid on eBay now.
From memory I think that I paid about £35 each new. That would be about 9 years ago when we bought our first camping-car. Full size rods would not fit in the luggage compartments. Someone I know had the standard JW Avon / Quiver and really rated it. I have no complaints about either rod.

From memory I think that I paid about £35 each new. That would be about 9 years ago when we bought our first camping-car. Full size rods would not fit in the luggage compartments. Someone I know had the standard JW Avon / Quiver and really rated it. I have no complaints about either rod.
They fetch 80+ on eBay now, I paid about 60 for each. Although I don’t use them that often nowadays since I live 20mins cycling to the bank so I can carry full length 11ft rod in the quiver with me while cycling.

Never owned the standard version, heard the original one is very good, but there are better options out there.

Well, picked the rod up today and the longest piece is the 1.75 avon top which measures 170cm and is 1 piece...
so i will have to get a new holdall now was hoping it would go in my 160cm shimano ready rod holdall before i bought it, but nah, nowhere near it..
DSCN1709.JPG

Oh so it’s 2 pieces to make up 11 foot not 3 With a separate butt section. Bit like the old powermesh avons.
Just a daft question and I’m sure there’s a reason but why didn’t you message the seller asking him to confirm the length before hand? I’m sure you were going to buy it no matter what but at least you would of known

Richard, if it was that simple then of course i would have done that but was not possible...
Thought that would be the case. Oh well. New holdall isn’t the end of the world. Maybe a little quiver would be nice for your travel outfit. They can often be picked up cheap

I'm not a lover of quivers and have my eye on a new drennan double rod sleeve, i could use that for the JW and also for
my main barbel gear which is in a battered old ngt rod sleeve but have asked a question about the drennan on another thread, i need it to take 6000 size shimano baitrunners to justify buying it and kill two birds with one stone, not sure if you would know about the drennan?

drennan sleeve will be a tight squeeze i barely fit a pair of 5000 in mine

Back