• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Le Gave de Pau - anyone fished there?

Hi - I’ve been offered the opportunity to stay at a friends house which is within very easy reach of this river in southern France. He’s dabbled for a few hours here and there on the river and caught barbel to 15lbs!! Also caught carp, bream and other species typical of French rivers. The village I will be staying in is Salles Mongiscard, any inside info or experience of the river would be very welcome!

Hi Graham, 15lbs is some French barbel. The unofficial record is only just over that and that was caught over 30 years ago.

The gaves are more renown for salmon and trout rather than coarse fish. I have not fished the one you mention, but further west most of the mountain rivers are classed as catagory 1 i.e. trout rivers and are only open from the second Saturday in March to the last Saturday in September. Looking at google images it does seem that barbel are present.

You will need a carte de peche. That can be bought online from the departmental fishery website. You need a scanned photo and your friend's address. Type "carte de peche" then the departmental number which is 64 for Pau. The CdP is €100 for the year or less for the fortnight or day tickets and you can get them locally if you prefer. Tourist Information Centres and some tabacs sell them. The annual one runs from Jan to Dec. Night fishing is only allowed in specified places otherwise if you can access the river and it doesn't say Privee or Peche Interdite you can fish.

I would appreciate hearing how you get on and best of luck.

Last edited:
Hi Graham, 15lbs is some French barbel. The unofficial record is only just over that and that was caught over 30 years ago.

The gaves are more renown for salmon and trout rather than coarse fish. I have not fished the one you mention, but further west most of the mountain rivers are classed as catagory 1 i.e. trout rivers and are only open from the second Saturday in March to the last Saturday in September. Looking at google images it does seem that barbel are present.

You will need a carte de peche. That can be bought online from the departmental fishery website. You need a scanned photo and your friend's address. Type "carte de peche" then the departmental number which is 64 for Pau. The CdP is €100 for the year or less for the fortnight or day tickets and you can get them locally if you prefer. Tourist Information Centres and some tabacs sell them. The annual one runs from Jan to Dec. Night fishing is only allowed in specified places otherwise if you can access the river and it doesn't say Privee or Peche Interdite you can fish.

I would appreciate hearing how you get on and best of luck.
Hi Clive - thankyou so much for such a detailed reply, much appreciated! The river in question is actually at the bottom of the garden of the house I will be staying in, and I think fishing rights for the two swims there are granted to the property (or those staying in it more accurately). I’ll check out the licence situation though nonetheless, obviously if we decide to wander off and try somewhere else.
I’ve seen a couple of photos of the barbel and carp the owner and his son have caught, and some of them do look pretty big - can’t verify the weights claimed though, but I will be meeting him before we go (he is UK based and someone the friend I’m going with knows - basically this property is his family summer holiday home).

Graham, you will require a CdP to fish any river even if the banks are private. Only lakes that are not connected to a river system can be exempt from the requirement. Also, all departmental fishing rules apply, i.e. night fishing.

The photos on google are inconclusive. I am sure that there are some people in this world with fingers like bananas and most of them seem to be anglers. ;)

Graham, you will require a CdP to fish any river even if the banks are private. Only lakes that are not connected to a river system can be exempt from the requirement. Also, all departmental fishing rules apply, i.e. night fishing.

The photos on google are inconclusive. I am sure that there are some people in this world with fingers like bananas and most of them seem to be anglers. ;)
That’s great Clive, thankyou for confirming regarding the CdP - I’ll crack on with that! I’m not too hung up about the size of the barbel there, just looking forward to a week on a venue in France which isn’t all about carp and catfish, although there are large carp there too (which he’s sent me photos of him having caught). A mixed week of barbel and carp and whatever else shows up will be very welcome - first fishing trip away since pre-pandemic, I’m even going to pack my waggler rod 😊
Just the pesky bait restrictions to overcome now..

The Douane chappies are a bit hit and miss. Most of my customers who have travelled to Blighty and back have had no problem smuggling my mole traps and auction win vintage reels over, but they seem to give anglers a hard time. To be fair there is nothing that you need that you cannot buy here.

Decathlon shops are all over the place and stock pellets, boilies and groundbait. Also www.pecheur.com can send bait to a point relais close to where you are staying with no delivery charges. Supermarkets and garden centres stock milled maize in 5kg bags. If you pour boiled water over the milled maize and then add crushed hemp and maize groundbait from Decathlon or Pecheur that is all you need for the feeder. Hookbait is banded Frolics dog biscuits or sweetcorn, both from the supermarket. If you want to go exotic buy whelks or prawns from the fish counter. It really is that simple.

The gaves are mountain fed rivers, cold and very clear. I would suggest taking fine hook lengths and small hooks. Buy some maggots if you can find a tackle shop. They are very expensive, but might be useful in the clear water and blue sky.

Also, be aware that there are brown bears around Pau. The type the Yanks call Grizzlies. If you discover a steaming great pile of poo in the woods it might not have been left by a barbel angler 😯

The Douane chappies are a bit hit and miss. Most of my customers who have travelled to Blighty and back have had no problem smuggling my mole traps and auction win vintage reels over, but they seem to give anglers a hard time. To be fair there is nothing that you need that you cannot buy here.

Decathlon shops are all over the place and stock pellets, boilies and groundbait. Also www.pecheur.com can send bait to a point relais close to where you are staying with no delivery charges. Supermarkets and garden centres stock milled maize in 5kg bags. If you pour boiled water over the milled maize and then add crushed hemp and maize groundbait from Decathlon or Pecheur that is all you need for the feeder. Hookbait is banded Frolics dog biscuits or sweetcorn, both from the supermarket. If you want to go exotic buy whelks or prawns from the fish counter. It really is that simple.

The gaves are mountain fed rivers, cold and very clear. I would suggest taking fine hook lengths and small hooks. Buy some maggots if you can find a tackle shop. They are very expensive, but might be useful in the clear water and blue sky.

Also, be aware that there are brown bears around Pau. The type the Yanks call Grizzlies. If you discover a steaming great pile of poo in the woods it might not have been left by a barbel angler 😯
Well that’s going to give me a sleepless night! 😂 .. the swims we have access to as part of the property we are staying in are, apparently, up to 20ft deep on the near bank with a rocky bottom and shallowing up considerably towards the far bank - so I wasn’t thinking about fishing fine! The owner catches on standard carp rigs with big boilies.. so I think I’m going to be taking a lot of gear to cover all potential scenarios! Carp have been caught to 40lbs apparently, alongside the barbel.. this is feeling like a true voyage of discovery, and I’m very grateful for your insight 😊👍

Attachments

• 83DA6607-B31E-4767-AE69-0893B54B8A56.jpeg
    83DA6607-B31E-4767-AE69-0893B54B8A56.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 030270B6-2DA6-413D-980B-77932BBCC27B.jpeg
    030270B6-2DA6-413D-980B-77932BBCC27B.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 136
If you get a 15lb barbel Steve Arnold and I will be bivvied up there in our camper vans quicker than you can say Collingham Circus!

If you get a 15lb barbel Steve Arnold and I will be bivvied up there in our camper vans quicker than you can say Collingham Circus!
Ha ha! You’re Collingham in Yorkshire? One of my best friends lives there if so, and I used to live in Leeds which is where my love for barbel and chub fishing on rivers was first kindled - I’ve been back in Essex for many years though.. no barbel here, so after years of carp and then fly fishing when my young family along, I’ve gone back to my coarse fishing roots. River Lea for barbel now, although trips to Yorkshire are now back on after the past couple of years.

All that said, I bet you’re river Trent Collingham! 😂👍

Yes I meant the Trent Collingham. But Collingham on the Wharfe is where I first fished for barbel in the 70s. I have many happy memories of fishing the Collingham stretch for chub, grayling and barbel.

I was there from the late 70’s to the mid 90’s (and have gone back often since).. main venues we fished were the Wharfe, Nidd and Swale - mainly Leeds, Bradford No.1, Knaresborough Piscatorials and Richmond club waters. Never easy, but beautiful places to be and learn.

I travelled from Barnsley, 35 miles by moped. Collingham, Boston Spa and Newton Kyme were as far as I could manage initially. Ironically I fished the other Collingham regularly on winter league matches, travelling by coach. I loved the Yorkshire Collingham and hated the other one. But in those days barbel weren't caught in the Trent in winter matches and the Dearne had only just been stocked with the juvenile fish that grew to 16lb+

Hi - I’ve been offered the opportunity to stay at a friends house which is within very easy reach of this river in southern France. He’s dabbled for a few hours here and there on the river and caught barbel to 15lbs!! Also caught carp, bream and other species typical of French rivers. The village I will be staying in is Salles Mongiscard, any inside info or experience of the river would be very welcome!
I think the river you are asking about joins with the Adour river a bit closer to the coast. One of the YouTube videos I watched recently shows a very capable french angler fishing a tidal stretch of the Adour, it makes for interesting viewing!

It's on my "to fish soon" list!

I think the river you are asking about joins with the Adour river a bit closer to the coast. One of the YouTube videos I watched recently shows a very capable french angler fishing a tidal stretch of the Adour, it makes for interesting viewing!

It's on my "to fish soon" list!
Thankyou for this, interesting indeed.. the swims we have access to have produced large carp (30lbs plus) in addition to what look like some large (for France anyway) barbel so we’ll be targeting these initially. That said, I’m not one for sitting around waiting for long so I’ll be taking my river feeder and float gear in addition to a couple of heavier specimen / carp set-ups to cover all bases!

Well @Clive Kenyon it was a challenging week! We fished the Gave de Pau at Salles Mongiscard from the garden of a private house there.. and found around 14ft of flowing river pretty much under the rod tip, which is where we fished so we could introduce feed using a large baitdropper (we also made up some hard balls of Vitalin with plenty of particle) and then loose fed boilies over the top. Chub and small fish were constantly banging the bait (we fished 20mm boilies to try and avoid them), but the chub were all around 4lb and immaculate so no great disappointment in catching them - it’s just they couldn’t really give much of an account of themselves given in the main we were using gear heavy enough to subdue large carp. The barbel we caught were all around 5-6lb, biggest 7lb exactly, and again all mint. We had just the four carp between us: 16lb, 20lb, 29lb .. and a proper lump of 39lb 12oz which I got with the last cast on the last day whilst I was busy packing my other rod away! It’s because the river here holds carp of this stamp (the owner of the house we stayed in has had two over 40lb) that we needed to fish with heavier gear than we would have liked for the barbel and chub, and even on 15lb mainline and a 3lb t/c carp rod it took me twenty minutes to land this in such deep flowing water.
It’s fair to say it took us a while to get to grips with the river, but now we know what we know, if we go back I think we’ll see some better results.

Attachments

• 99A75935-31FC-4FF3-810D-236CA8D5E8D7.jpeg
    99A75935-31FC-4FF3-810D-236CA8D5E8D7.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 9D167B66-8A5B-4F9A-AE70-16130E158DA1.jpeg
    9D167B66-8A5B-4F9A-AE70-16130E158DA1.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 140
Brillliant. Glad that you caught plenty. 👍

There should be a salmon run there at this time of year which could have added to the fun. 😮

Back