• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your targets for the new season?

Try to improve my angling on all and every level.
To try and evolve a little on bait and application, use my NOGGIN more! :)
Fish more short sessions (and more long sessions :) ).
Fish more roving sessions.
Support all my angling buddies in every way I can, give them lifts,
help them to get onto the bank (some have mobility prob's)
Log on to BFW every day, because its an amazing resource on every level!
Take time to cherish every second on the river bank, life is so fleeting.
Have a wonderful season Barbel Buffs :)

I have only just gone through a major house move from Leicestershire to Merseyside for family reasons after some 17 years(!!) previously covering The Trent and most other Midlands waterways, last December. I still managed, however, to squeeze in a few "end of season" outings on my brand new "local venue"...The Ribble, near Preston with reasonable success, but my key plan is to get out in the next week or so to recce various club stretches, to improve on my recent catch results (including my best double so far....11lb 7oz) and to gain a better understanding of this somewhat unpredictable spate river with its impressive settings and intriguing potential, which has significantly rebooted my (22 year) barbel hunting outlook that had, sadly, become somewhat jaded over the past few years, stuck in a stale, repetitive Trent "rut"!

CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED:D

My grand plan is for a return to the bank on the 16th, after nearly a decade since my last outing. Determined to not get into the rut of sitting it out for the better fish again, so will be looking at adopting a more mobile approach with maybe smaller more intimate rivers in mind, in particular those venues that might have the potential for good silver fishing on the stick for a nice change of pace when the mood suits.
As to actual targets for the coming season, the main one will of course be, just getting back into the groove and reestablishing myself on the bank so just getting among a few Barbel will do it for me. To be a bit greedy and net a Tinca from a river would be very nice, as that is something I have always dreamed of doing.

My grand plan is for a return to the bank on the 16th, after nearly a decade since my last outing. Determined to not get into the rut of sitting it out for the better fish again, so will be looking at adopting a more mobile approach with maybe smaller more intimate rivers in mind, in particular those venues that might have the potential for good silver fishing on the stick for a nice change of pace when the mood suits.
As to actual targets for the coming season, the main one will of course be, just getting back into the groove and reestablishing myself on the bank so just getting among a few Barbel will do it for me. To be a bit greedy and net a Tinca from a river would be very nice, as that is something I have always dreamed of doing.
Agree with all of that, and Tench from a river is a bit special, I recall one summer afternoon had a Bristol Avon session with son, it was hastily arranged and the only bait I was a couple of tins of sweetcorn. The venue was below a weir near Malmesbury, so not expecting much. We were joined by 'Sky' the farmers Retriever, and the three of us settled in to a swim that was a deep pool below the weir bordered with a mass of Lillies.
A few grains were scattered and Anthony was soon bending into a good Tench, she tripped the scales at about 7lbs, eight more followed, all big females, quite incredible and so unexpected, a real red letter day.
Good luck with your new found enthusiasm, and like you I will be mixing it up a bit.

A friend of mine had a tench on the w/avon at Lucy's mill just below the weir in October while we were fishing for barbel 😳 a big surprise to us both lol

The name is suposedly from cornwall, something to do with farming if you believe google, but its an unusual surname, only 1500ish on the globe, i think there's another village " ufton" in warwickshire somewhere,,, did a bit of ancestery mooching, got to the point where i thought its alright on paper, but nobody ever owns up to when the coalman popped in, if you know what i mean,,,, i think the main thing is your here now, enjoy what you can, its all to fleeting,,,, the older you get ,the more you think where's the bloody time gone,,,, and remember, there's no present like the time,,,,
Regards

I had a couple out of the Teme, more out of the Wye, so would love to catch on the lower Seven. 🙏
The Lower Severn can be a real ball breaker, timing is crucial Keith! It generally fishes better with extra water on! But the rewards can make all the effort worthwhile👍

Hi all.My targets for the season are to hopefully catch a few more barbel than I've managed over the last couple of years !(have been following the thread,large versus small baits with interest).Also I have always taken a empty bag with me to pick up any rubbish around where I fish,may enlarge this to include any litter I see along the bank to and from the car.Every little helps.I may also expand my Himalayan balsam uprooting sessions,I normally spend around 5mins doing that,it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference but if we all do it.Good luck all.

back to the Dove cannot see me beating my Pb my target is to have 10 fish this season and a 14lber would be my target .
going to spend more time on the Ribble then i have in the last three seasons the Dove got into my head .typical the season will have just finished when i will be retiring.my replacement starts monday plenty time to get her trained up .

Thankfully the start of the season is just round the corner so would be good to see some targets and goals that you’re aiming for this year!

I’ve got a few on the wish list for the season so I’ll get it started -

PB Chub so anything over 6.13

A Thames PRB, a 12lb plus fish would do it for me

And my main target and focus for the season is a Kennet 16lb plus fish, I know they’re still there, somewhere!

Good luck all and tight lines.
For me. I'd like a 13lb Barbel, I've always set out for one, and was a target when I 1st started. But I got everything leading up to it, missed a 13 and went 14 and up😂
Chub wise. I'm on a mission for a couple of 9's having had a 8.06 about 12 years ago and a few 7's. But I'm upping that 8lber to a 9 this year at some point! (note my confidence!)
And I've found somewhere on the Thames that's thrown some large 1lb plus Roach to very close two's, so I'm having some of that before you lot find em!

Back